Saturday, June 15, 2013

Wheelbarrow and Pansies

Hi everyone, Jan here with today's project.  I love including flowers in most of my projects, but the flowers from Sizzix's Susan's Garden are the most beautiful I have ever made.  Along with her 3-D Wheelbarrow, I used the Pansy and Violet Thinlit die to create this:

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Wheelbarrow and Pansies by Jan Hobbins

I started with the wheelbarrow first.  Using Sizzix Little Sizzles black Mat Board, I die-cut my pieces.  I really like using this mat board, especially when the die has crease lines.  But regular chipboard works well too.

die cutting

Next, I glued my pieces together.  There are easy instructions on the inside package label.


Once my wheelbarrow was assembled, I painted over the entire surface with black crackle paint.  I also painted the wheels with the black crackle paint.



After the black crackle paint dried, I painted green crackle paint on top.  I usually buy white crackle paint and tint or colour it on my craft mat.  When I applied this, I didn't cover it as heavy, leaving some small areas of the black exposed.  Once the green was dried, I took a small amount of black on a brush, wiped it on a paper towel, and dry brushed(painting very lightly) on the green wheelbarrow.  For the wheels, I painted a small amount of gold, before painting with the green lightly.


After the paint was dry, I attached the wheels with a brad to the wheelbarrow.


Now, onto the flowers!
I could give you step by step photos, but the videos that are included for each flower, on the Sizzix website, explain it so much better than I ever could!  Susan Tierney-Cockburn shows how to create these pansies and violets:


For the pansies, instead of using coloured cardstock, I die-cut them out with white.  I wanted my pansies to be paler in colour, but for the violets I used purple cardstock.  As in Susan's video, I also used pastels to colour my flowers.  I also took her advice and printed off a sheet, with all the different pansy colours, for reference.  Except now, I want to make them all!


I used wire, that was wrapped with florist tape, to join all my flowers together.  I glued the back of the flowers to the wire.  I covered a small box to set my wheelbarrow on.  I'm going to fill it with seed packets and give this as a gift.  I was going to wire the wheelbarrow onto the top, but instead I used those very thin round tiny magnet sets,  I slipped one part underneath the paper on the box lid and I slipped the matching magnet in between the wheels,  I also did a set on the wheelbarrow legs and underneath the paper below it.  I thought that by doing this, you could remove the wheelbarrow if you wanted to.  If you want it to be a little more secure, I would probably wire it to the box, and cover any wire that was showing, with flowers.


I loved making these pansies, I can't wait to try out the other flowers!  

Have a great weekend!

Jan

die cutting supplies



For more ideas and inspiration for die cutting projects featuring the Susan's Garden collection collection for Sizzix, visit the project gallery at Sizzix.com. While you are there, be sure to check out the entire Susan's Garden collection of dies and embossing folders!
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful project Jan! Love your flowers and the texture of the wheelbarrow is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, this is gorgeous!! I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even know that wheelbarrow die existed. It is at the top of my list now. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My jaw is on the table, Jan. This is a beautiful project. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! The flowers look so real! The wheel barrel is super cute! Lovely project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this wheelbarrow and flowers, they are so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wheelbarrow looks so cool with your distressed treatment - great project!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how realistic you were able to make the wheelbarrow and flowers look. Thank you for giving us Susan's site. I'm going to take a look at how she creates the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!, |I thought the pansies were real flowers in the wheelbarrow you had made when I first looked at the picture. This is a beautiful project. Thank you for sharing.
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pansies, perfect coloring and I love how you painted the wheelbarrow. TFS

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...