Thursday, June 6, 2013

Luxe in Bloom Lone Star Quilt

Hello!  It is Amy Friend here with you today!

I had the chance to play with another newly released Sizzix quilting die, the Sizzix Bigz XL 25" Die - Diamonds, 2 1/2" (2 3/4" x 6 1/2" Unfinished).  I've long admired Lone Star quilts so I decided to use a half yard bundle of Luxe in Bloom in the Greystone colorway as well as Kona Ash to make this lone star quilt measuring about 43 1/2" x 57." I was able to piece the star as well as the back of the quilt with the Luxe in Bloom using every scrap! 

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend



To begin, it is helpful to use a design wall so that you can play with the order of your diamonds and then cut the number you need once you decide on the arrangement you like.

die cutting

I settled on the arrangement above where each "arm" of the star begins with one diamond and increases for a total of 6 rows and then begins to decrease for a total of 5 additional rows.

To piece this quilt, you will sew together one arm of the star at a time.  

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Above is an image showing how two diamonds are attached using a 1/4" seam.  Remember that you are working with pieces that are cut on the bias so you need to handle them with care because they can stretch and become misshapen with tugging, pulling, seam ripping or even ironing.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Continue attaching the diamonds until you have one complete strip.  I ironed the seams all to one side but this is personal preference.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

First sew all the diamonds together in strips as shown above. This goes pretty quickly.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Next, you need to join the strips.  This is harder and requires some patience and careful handling.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

You will want your seams to match up at the 1/4" seam allowance as shown above.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

In order to do this, you can pin at the seam line where each diamond meets the next.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Carefully remove the pin at the last minute and stitch right through the pin hole (you can often still see it).

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Taking care at this step will give you nice points on your diamond.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Continue to piece each arm of the star in the same way.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Then it is time to add the background fabric and join the arms of the star.  To calculate the size of the solid triangles, you should measure your star arms.  I used 17 1/2" squares cut at the diagonal.  I sewed them, right sides together, to the arms of the star.  You could use a square and inset seams instead of doing it this way. I did it this way because I know some people like to avoid inset seams and because I thought that having the seam line there would help me with my quilting plan.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Then stitch the seam joining those two arms.  

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

Next, attach the smaller triangles.  I cut my 17 1/2" square into quarters for those pieces.  Repeat this process for all four quadrants and then sew the quadrants together.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

To create a more modern variation of the lone star, I cut the right side of my star off so that the center of my star is not in the center of the quilt.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Luxe In Bloom Lone Star Quilt by Amy Friend

I decided on straight line quilting, 1/4" on either side of the seams, radiating out from the center of the star.

I hope you enjoy using the new diamond dies!  They come in 4 sizes, this being the smallest size.

Amy

die cutting supplies


The Sizzix.com quilting page has helpful videos, tips, and project ideas that can help you incorporate die cutting into your quilting and sewing projects. To learn more, visit the Sizzix Quilting page at: http://www.sizzix.com/shop/sizzixquilting.
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. AMY!!! OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!! Just when I think your quilts cannot get any more gorgeous.....you top it again!! AMAZING!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much Hilary! All the bias work on this one was tricky!

      Delete
    2. Im lucky I can sew two squares together! Haha! Seriously though, this is breathtaking! ;)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!!!!! Amy you are so talented.... I LOVE this quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Amy, this is so gorgeous! It is the prettiest quilt I have ever seen. Love the star and the fabric and colours you used are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning quilt Amy! I think this might be my most favorite Amy quilt yet! You make me want to take up quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely breath-taking! you really put a lot of work into this....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy! I just love this design. Beautiful colors too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous and I love the off-centered placement of the star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I also love the asymmetry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing. this is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! This is absolutely AMZING!! ;) I want to know how long it took for you to make this from beginning to end?? I LOVE the color combo you chose too!! tHANKS SO MUCH for sharing and have a FAbulous Week!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just awesome, Amy. So well done!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...