Monday, June 17, 2013

Lovely, a layout tutorial.

Hello scrappers, it's Aida here and I hope you are enjoying summer ! In Singapore tropical weather means it's summer all year round, and I sometimes wish we had fall or winter for variety instead of just heat and rain.

I have a layout for you and this time I'd like to show you how die-cuts from older ranges can work together the new Framelits and Thinlits.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

I've used Crate Paper's Maggie Holmes collection as I love it's sweet, flirty appeal.

die cutting

Tattered Pinecones 657492 is one of the older Alterations Bigz die and I have to say one of my most used. The tea-roses you can make from the die-cuts are really pretty and so usable for cards, layouts and altered projects. The Fir leaves make great layering fillers.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

This is how the roses look up close.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

This is the 7 Gypsies Framelits Gypsy Frames 659082 set which I also used on my last project and as you can see the oval frame is a wonderful accent for this layout.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

You can see how I put the frame together with a bird sticker from the paper collection.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

This is the new beautiful delicate Thinlets Frame Iron Gate 659005. You may find due to the intricate design, removing the lace-like die cut from the die requires some care. One tip would be : start at one corner and peel the die cut in a slow, gentle, rolling movement as how you would pull a sticky tape from the roll. You might also find the die cut slightly out of shape and running a warm iron over the die-cut will flatten it perfectly. Next I used a fine tip glue pen to adhere the die-cut to a clear transparency for easier handling.

Once the accent die cut pieces were ready, I started on my layout.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

Here you see how I splattered white paint and pounced white Distress Ink Picket Fence on the background pattern paper.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

Next I centered the Frame Iron Gate on the page and added the other embellishments.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

This is how the portion of the layout was layered. The tags and fussy cut design from the paper was adhered under the frame and I thought the peek-a-boo element was interesting.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

The 7 Gypsy oval frame.

Sizzix Die cutting Tutorial: Lovely Scrapbook Layout by Aida Haron

The completed layout.

There are many great new Sizzix products available at Sizzix.com and I hope this layout demonstrates the endless possibilities of die-cutting in creating a personalized feel to your project.

Thank you for joining me today, here's wishing you lots of fun as you step into Summer mode !



die cutting supplies



Are you a scrapbooker looking for more ways to incorporate die cutting into your pages? Our project gallery at Sizzix.com can help! We have over 200 scrapbook pages with instructions to help give you the creative jumpstart you need!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! Thanks for showing a combo of old and news dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous layout, Aida! Love all the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout Aida! Wonderful layers and design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing a pretty, fresh, and interesting lay out that actually features an older die that many own. I get so tired of the constant promotion and pressure to buy ever new products. I don't buy a die unless it has the potential for multiple uses, and then I proceed to use it consistently. I really can't afford, nor do I have room to store, each new product or trend that comes out, and I am sick to death of the relentless pressure to spend above my means. One of the features that I really appreciate about the current Sizzix blog is that the projects offered don't cost an excessive amount of money to complete if one is inspired to create something similair. Other scrapbooking companies that offer inspirational projects seem to be in a competition to cram as many embellishments on one page that they can. The result is excessive and in bad taste, and it is all too obvious that they are trying to motivate the consumer to spend as much money as possible. I estimate that the type of layouts I am describing (& we've all seen them, they are all over the internet) cost an average of $50 to $100 to complete. And they are in bad taste and overwhelm the photographs they are meant to feature. I am asking the designers who contribute to this blog to make an effort to use a mix of old and new products, and to encourage readers to substitute similair tools and embellishments that they have on hand, instead of implying through omission that people should go out and buy everything you used if they like a product. And please think about teaching readers some basic design theory. A lot of people who take up scrapbooking have no background in the arts, and have no confidence in their own judgement. I love vintage and layering, but a lot of the pages I see remind me of the worst excesses of the Victorian era. I imagine their descendants recoiling from them in horror. Sorry to go on, but Sizzix has one of the more sensible and moderate marketing policies, and I thought I might find a receptive audience here.

    I have to admit, however, that this project did inspire me to buy both the Tim Holtz pine cone die (which I have been meaning to buy for years), and the 7 Gypsies framelits frame set (which I have been eyeing for awhile). LOL

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...