Thursday, June 27, 2013

Birdhouse Photo Display

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Birdhouse Photo Display by Tami Mayberry

Hi All! Tami Mayberry here today to show you how to dress up your home decor with a  quick and easy, yet fun, photo/note holder using the new ScoreBoards XL 3D Birdhouse die

die cutting

I began by die-cutting the shapes from some black Little Sizzles mat board. You can use cardstock for this as well; but, I prefer the stability I get from the mat board. This is a longer die so you will need an extended cutting pad if you don't already have one. It also works best paired with the extended crease pad.


After it's cut out these are the 3 pieces you will have-the bottom, roof and main house piece. Each piece is not only die-cut but also scored for easily assembly.


Next, I die-cut a piece of patterned paper and adhered it to the base. You'll want to use a strong adhesive for this so that it stays in place after folding. I used Scor-Tape for mine as I prefer dry adhesives.


After I covered the piece I simply folded it into shape adhering the tab on the end in place. There are 2 tabs at the top for attaching the roof which I completed next. 


I wanted to turn this into a photo holder so I added a toothpick in the center. I began by piercing a hole along the score line. I wanted to leave the roof black and decorate with gems. If you would like to cover the roof with patterned paper or paint that would be done before adding the hole in the top.


Next, I inserted a toothpick through the hole. I used a round one since that is what I has close by but I believe a flat one would work really well when attaching the photo. Skewers or pieces of wire would work also.


I cut the end off and secured it in place with hot glue. This is the side that goes to the inside of the house and will not be seen so it doesn't have to be neat, as you can see. ;)

Then all that is left is to decorate as desired and attach your favorite photo with a clip. 
This idea can be adapted to any season and will also work well for holding notes or used to hold place cards for weddings and parties. It is also easily mass produced thanks to the cut and score ability of the die.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Tami


die cutting supplies




You won't believe all of the fun die cutting projects you can create with the dies in Eileen Hull's collection. For more project ideas and instructions, visit the Eileen Hull project gallery at Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. What a great project and tutorial Tami. I like how you added the photo on top for a little extra :-) Thanks for working with ScoreBoards!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...