Thursday, May 30, 2013

Trending Chevron Lap Quilt

Hello everyone, Amy Friend here with you today!

Sizzix introduced some really wonderful new quilting dies at spring quilt market in Portland earlier this month. One of them is the 7" x 3 1/2" Chevron die that I used in this quilt.


I named this quilt Trending because it's a combination of so many things that are trendy right now in the quilting world: chevrons, low volume fabrics, and text prints. Plus, I chose my colors based on the Pantone fashion color report for spring 2013.  It was such a fun quilt to pull together. I added a bit of a modern twist to the timeless chevron by wrapping the colors from row to row and breaking them.


To create this lap sized quilt measuring roughly 56" x 66", you will need both the Chevron die and the 3 1/2" half square triangle.  As you cut your fabric, it is helpful to arrange the pieces on a design wall as seen above.  This is the kind of quilt that you have to lay out completely before you begin to sew. 

To recreate this quilt, you will need to cut:

112 chevrons in various ivory textured solids and text prints
17 chevrons in lavender
15 chevrons in yellow
15 chevrons in red
16 chevrons in emerald
15 chevrons in peach
38 3 1/2" HST in various ivory textured solids and text prints (cut from the waste after cutting chevrons)

Arrange your pieces in 19 columns each 10 chevrons high, with a HST at the top and bottom.

In order to assemble this quilt top, you must sew each column and then attach the columns to each other.  To begin each row, a 3 1/2" HST is sewn, right sides together, at the upper edge of the first chevron.


Next, sew the chevrons together as shown above.  End the column with another HST.

die cutting

I found it easiest to sew the columns together in pairs as shown above.  Then I joined the pairs.  I alternated the direction in which I ironed my seams so that they nested neatly.


I quilted simply, a quarter inch on either side of the seams, and then two evenly spaced rows within each row of chevrons.


I like the texture and dimension that the quilting gives the quilt without being over powering.


Here are just a couple more finished quilt shots to hopefully inspire you to try your own chevron quilt.


This is a quick quilt top to put together.  It is fun and satisfying and has so many possibilities. 

Amy




The Sizzix.com quilting page has helpful videos, tips, and project ideas that can help you incorporate die cutting into your quilting and sewing projects. To learn more, visit the Sizzix Quilting page at: http://www.sizzix.com/shop/sizzixquilting.
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt! The fabric choice and placement make what could have been a rather ordinary quilt something very unique and strikingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brilliant child!:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love!!!! ;) You are amazing!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is some amazing and love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! Love the colors and the design!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW!! Beautiful!! Love the way it came together!! THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very nice this quilt is. I'm getting the itch to do some wall hanging quilts! I love the quilting dies. Takes the rotary cutting almost completely out. Very nice stitching and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the sizzix Bigkick periwinkle machine. Will Hess fires fit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant will these dies fit the machine I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you are able to come up with a new twist on an old block so well. :-)

    One question I always have with these dies....how do you know what size triangle die to buy to go with that Chevron shape? I really struggle with this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...