Sunday, May 19, 2013

Quick and Easy Graduation Card

Hi, all! Tami Mayberry here today with a quick and easy graduation card that I made for one of my favorite high school graduates.

Sizzix Die Cutting Tutorial: Graduation 2013 Card by Tami Mayberry

Since this is a graduation, card I wanted the year to be the main focus. I also knew I wanted to use my Ornate Labels Framelits. I also used the school colors.



I decided to use my eclips and starter cartridge to die-cut the year 2013. One thing I really like about the eclips is the ability to change the size of the letters and images. I began with numbers that were about 1.25" tall. Once I placed them inside the die shape I realized I actually wanted them larger.



So, I changed the size to 2 inches and had just the size I wanted.

die cutting

Next, I cut one of the Ornate Frames from gray cardstock. I wanted to add a small border to the design. Fortunately, the way the Framelits are designed it's really simple to add to the available sizes with just a pencil and pair of scissors. The die cuts on the inside so if I want a shape that is a bit larger than what comes in the set I simply trace around the outside and cut it out by hand.



This is what the die-cut shape looks like when layered with the hand-cut shape.



Once the label was layered together I added the numbers. I always make a mess with glue and look for ways to use dry adhesives on most of my projects. For the numbers I placed them face down on scrap paper and went over them with my EZ Dots from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L™. By using the tiny dots when I peeled it off the excess was left on the scrap paper.



I placed all of this on a gray base and a panel that I embossed with the Ornate Frames Set 2 embossing folder. This folder is a perfect match for the Ornate Labels dies and added the perfect accent to clean and simple cards.



For the inside of the card I used the congratulations sentiment and shadow from the eclips starter cartridge.



Again, not working well with glue, I incorporated dry adhesive. Before I started I placed a piece of double sided adhesive paper, also from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L™, face down on the back of the cardstock I would be cutting from. I placed the cardstock on the mat with the adhesive sheet between the cardstock and the mat. When I went to cut I made sure my blade was positioned over the area that had the adhesive sheet attached.



When I removed the sentiment the back still had the adhesive and backing on it. All I had to do was peel the backing off and it was ready to attach to the shadow die-cut.



Put it all together, add some gems, outline with a glitter pen and it's done!


die cutting supplies



We love how easy it is to create fabulous and unique die cutting projects by using products designed to work together. To see more ideas using Stephanie's line of products, be sure to visit the Stephanie Barnard project gallery on Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. very nice thanks for sharing

    chris@iwooten.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your card! I have a nephew graduating this year and this is just the kind of card I would love to make. It's the same exact school colors that you used. I don't have the machine that you have though, that's the bigger. I'll have to think of a way to get big numbers. Maybe thickers. Great job on the card and I appreciate the way you explained every step along the way.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...