Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mother's Day With Pop 'n Cuts!

Hi everyone! Hope your week is going well so far. It's Shelly with you today, sharing a pretty Pop 'n Cuts Mother's Day card with lots of different techniques!
shelly hickox pop 'n cuts mother's day card tutorial for sizzix

I don't think it's any secret that my policy regarding dies is: the more the better! I love finding new ways of combining my favorites, and incorporating new dies with them.This card uses a variety of dies in ways you might not have tried yet.

I was also very excited to use Karen Burniston's new Ornate Edge Square Base die! It was released at Winter CHA and it is a fantastic addition to the Pop 'n Cuts line. No more having to use the Movers and Shapers Base Tray when you want to make a square card! Plus, the edge is absolutely gorgeous and the die includes a built-in flourish die that decorates the card perfectly.

Here is the open view of the card. It is a little different idea for a Pop 'n Cuts - I hope you like this variation. Follow along to see how I created it!

Begin by covering a 4 1/4" x 5" piece of chipboard with a self-adhesive foil sheet. Insert into the Springtime Texture Fade and emboss.

die cutting
Next, insert the medium-sized oval into the Cameo Frame. Cut the embossed panel, creating a frame.

Apply several colors of alcohol ink to a felt applicator tool and pounce over the metal frame. I reused an old piece of felt that had a little silver on it too. Happy accident!

When the ink is dry, cover the whole frame with Black Soot Distress Paint. Let set for a few seconds, and then wipe off. You can leave as much or as little paint as you'd like.

 I wanted a tarnished silver look and that is pretty much what I got! I love the look of this frame.

Why stop at just one frame? Let's layer! Cut a thin piece of chipboard using the Ornate Oval Thinlit die. Paint white. When dry, carefully sand the edges.

Now we'll make some fun fabric flowers. Using Tim Holtz' Tattered Flower Garland strip die, cut flowers from synthetic lining material, or other thin synthetic fabric, like organza. If you add a layer of cardstock when you cut, the flowers should cut totally through. If your fabric is too thick, experiment with another type.

Dispense a small amount of Distress paint onto a non-stick craft sheet. Spritz lightly with water - just about two sprays. Lay the flowers into the paint and saturate. Some unevenness is fine.

Carefully heat flowers with a heat tool. The edges will curl, giving them a ruffled appearance. Be sure not to over heat!

Here are all my flowers. I used the Mini Tattered Florals dies to cut a few flowers out of burlap too.

Using Karen Burniston's new Ornate Edge Square Pop 'n Cuts die with the Circle insert, cut a card from patterned paper.

With the card open, place the frame on the front and mark where the opening will be, making sure to avoid the pop-up mechanism. Cut using the oval die.

Our card is almost complete! Cover the pop-up area on the spine with a piece of decorative paper, being sure to avoid the mechanism. Line up the metal frame with the oval in the front and adhere. Add the white frame over the top, using Beacon 3-in-1 or other tacky glue to adhere. Stack the fabric flowers and glue to the frame as shown, adding a strip of lace behind and a small enameled tag to the corner. Finish off the flower centers with small pearls.

Stamp an image onto white paper and color with markers. Trim and set aside.

Computer-generate or stamp a sentiment onto white paper. Since I don't have a Mother's Day stamp, I printed one out. To make sure I could cut it exactly where I wanted it, I first cut a piece of cardstock using the Tattered Banners die. I punched out the banner I wanted and lined it back up on the die, taping it in place. I slid the printed sentiment under that, lining it up carefully, and cut. I thank the talented Karen Burniston for that idea!

Since the Circle Label pop-up is a bit smaller than my frame opening, I decided to make a large panel that sits on top of it. That allowed me have lots of room to play with! To create the panel, use the Ornate Edge PNC die without an insert to cut a piece of patterned paper. Trim to size, making sure it doesn't stick out when the card is closed. Adhere the stamped image, lining it up with the frame opening. Add embellishments as shown. Cut a flourish from pink cardstock using the Ornate Edge PNC die and glue to the panel. Finally, adhere the panel to the pop-up mechanism.

I hope I've inspired you to try something new with your dies. The great thing about Sizzix dies is they will cut a variety of materials - I love experimenting with new fabrics and papers, and giving them different treatments. I'm never bored when I'm die cutting, that's for sure!

Until next month,

Shelly
http://shellyhickox.blogspot.com





Paint: Tim Holtz Distress Paint - Black Soot, Spun Sugar, Antique Linen, Weathered Wood, Picket Fence
Alcohol Ink: Ranger Pitch Black, Caramel, Slate
Ink: Ranger Jet Black Archival
Paper: Prima, pink cardstock, chipboard
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Enameled Tags, Remnant Rubs, Paper Twine, Adornments; pearl beads
Rubber Stamps: Oxford Impressions Titanic collection
Adhesives: Beacon 3-in-1; Scotch Tape Glider
Other: Foil Sheets, Burlap, White Lining Fabric

Nothing says "I Love You" more than a handmade gift! Visit our die cutting project gallery at Sizzix.com for more Mother's Day project ideas that are sure to put a smile on your Mom's face this Mother's Day!
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Absolutly beautiful Shelly! Love the new Pop 'n Cuts square die from Karen. I will add it to my must have list. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one Shelly! So pretty... that reminds me- Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I love how you made those flowers - thank goodness for Sizzix steel-rule dies that can cut fabrics and burlap! The movement of the pop-up when you open it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is amazingly beautiful. It will be a treasured forever keepsake. I love projects that used dies and embossing folders in unusual ways. Thinking outside the box is my motto. The flowers are the perfect embellishment for this card. I love making fabric flowers, that is one of the major reasons I bought my bigshot, steel rule dies are the best.
    The multiple frames make this card a real beauty.
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely present, thanks for this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful card Shelly! Love all the gorgeous textured layers you created and the design is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so beautiful! i will now need to try coloring black and white images this way. the flowers are such a delicate and perfect embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful card! I think I may "borrow" this for my mom, using a photo of her holding me as a baby. Thanks so much for sharing, as well as for the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly, you are amazing! You used so many elements and textures. I just love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful card Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beatiful, lovely happy day mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing card!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...