Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Double Z: Mini Series 1, Block 4

Hello everyone!  It is Amy here with you today.  I'm back to share a tutorial for another block using the versatile parallelogram.  

I've been demonstrating how you can use the Sizzix parallelogram die to create a series of interesting pieced blocks.   Block 4 in my series is the Double Z also called the Brown Goose or Gray Goose.  Apparently the block was originally made with brown calico and once grays were introduced, the block became the gray goose.  I guess if you follow that logic, I have made a black goose!

If you missed my earlier posts and want to quilt along with me you can find my previous posts here:

Mini Series 1, Block 1 Enigma


Mini Series 1, Block 3 Windmill Star

To create this 8" block, you will  need to cut:

From a dark print:  Cut 4 parallelograms ,  Cut 4 quarter square triangles  

From a light print:  Cut 16 half square triangles

This block looks best when you have a lot of contrast between your fabric choices.  I chose a cream colored grunge for my background pieces and a print from BasicGrey's Little Black Dress collection for the double Z.


Like all the blocks in the series so far, this block is made up of four quadrants.  I will walk you through the steps involved in making the top left quadrant.  All the others are constructed in a similar manner. Lay your fabric out as above with the quarter square triangle flanked by half square triangles on the top and the parallelogram flanked by half square triangles on the bottom. 



Begin by sewing one half square triangle to the quarter square triangle with right sides together.



Press.  Stitch the other half square triangle to the other side.  Open out and press.


Likewise, moving on to the parallelogram, attach one half square triangle.  Open out and press.


Add the other half square triangle and press.



Next, with right sides together, taking care to match the point on the far left, sew these two units together.


Now you have one quadrant complete.

When laying out the other quadrants, you will notice that the parallelograms need to face in opposite directions.  To accomplish this, cut your 4 parallelograms from two pieces of fabric placed right sides together.  The result will be two parallelograms slanting right and two slanting left.


Like many of the other blocks, I'm kind of liking this block more on point. If you turn it on point, you have a more modern plus shape with triangles in the center (just tilt your head a bit-I didn't take this picture fully on point).


If you have been sewing along with me, please add your blocks to my During Quiet Time Flickr Group and the Sizzix Flickr Group as well!
 
I will share the fifth and final block in this mini series on my personal blog within the next week or two.  Then I will let you catch up and come back with a layout suggestion for a quilt top incorporating these block at the end of June. 
 
What dies would you like to see me sew with in the future?

Amy

 



The Sizzix.com quilting page has helpful videos, tips, and project ideas that can help you incorporate die cutting into your quilting and sewing projects. To learn more, visit the Sizzix Quilting page at: http://www.sizzix.com/shop/sizzixquilting.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This is a cool block! I love how the dies act like paper piecing for accuracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great tutorial Amy! This mini series was a really awesome idea of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew geometry could be so cool?! I love what you can do with dies and fabric, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilting was my passion before paper crafting made me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no reason you can't do both right? So many of the dies are perfect for sewing and papercrafting!

      Delete
  5. This is awesome. I can't wait to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...