Thursday, May 9, 2013

Colorful Paper Quilt

Hi everyone, Catherine Scanlon here -- hope you are having a GREAT May so far -- I know I am -- even though warmer weather means I have to pack up the beautiful quilts on my bed for the summer. I've been a lover of quilts - especially colorful ones -- I've even made a few here and there over the years. I'm not going to share how that came out but let me just say my loosy-goosy style of crafting didn't work out well with creating quilts from fabric. Lots of mismatched quilt blocks didn't make for a great (or square) quiilt.



Since I do love to sew -- and especially so on paper -- I decided to create a colorful Hexagon quilt to remind me of my beautiful quilts that I won't dig out until next fall. Cutting the Hexagons for this quilt was a CINCH -- I chose 1 of each pattern from the Lily Bee Designs Head Over Heels paper pack and used my Big Shot to die-cut the papers. Because this die cuts 4 hexagons each time you use it -- I had all the Hexagons I needed with one pass from the stack of trimmed papers.

die cutting

I created a base quilt from a piece of black cardstock and arranged the hex's in a random pattern on top to cover it completely. I used a re-positionable adhesive to attach them -- that would allow me to move them around easily if I got stuck with two of the same pattern side by side when I was laying them out.




To make sure the Hexagons stayed in place I used my sewing machine with a straight stitch to sew each one to the base. When I had that done, I decided it needed a pretty floral image.



To create that image I used the Mini-Tickets Die with the Base tray to cut the larger tag from cream card stock. So I could mat it on a piece of coordinating patterned paper I trimmed about 1/16" from each side and used a tiny circle punch to trim the corners so it would mat nicely on the original sized ticket. When I was certain it would fit on the Mini-Ticket cut from patterned paper I stamped a pretty flower on it from the Flourishes the "Year of Flowers" with Black StazOn Ink.

I used a small watercolor palette and a tiny brush to paint the image to coordinate with the papers of my quilt.

To complete the focal point image I attached the image to the patterned paper Mini-Ticket with Foam Tape. To help it stand out from the paper quilt I used the ATC Die to cut a piece of black cardstock to mat the pretty image on. With a piece of pink ribbon sandwiched in between it is the PERFECT embellishment for my paper quilt!



To finish the design I stitched the paper quilt to a piece of the pink patterned paper from the Lily Bee Designs Paper Pack layered on top of black cardstock.

It looks AMAZING in an inexpensive 11 x 14 white frame from Target!



I'm going to feel nice and cozy all summer every time I see my beautiful paper quilt! I love it and it only took an evening to put together! This would make a beautiful baby shower -- bridal shower or gift for any occasion!

Thanks for stopping by, hope you like my fast and easy paper quilt!

Catherine Scanlon
http://cmscanlon.blogspot.com


die cutting supplies



paper: Lily Bee Design Head Over Heels HHK161; black cardstock
stamps: Flourishes A Year of Flowers SS090
ribbon: 1" Pink Satin Ribbon
paint: Watercolor palette, paint brush
adhesive: Foam Tape,
tools: Sewing Machine
other: 11 x 14 Frame from Target


Let your personality shine through by filling your home with decor elements that are as unique as you are! For more ideas of ways to create unique decor, check out the Home Decor projects in the die cutting project gallery at Sizzix.com.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Fun and lovely! Clever use of the ticket and atc dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful paper quilt background. This would be a great technique for using paper scraps. I need the hexagon die! I love quilts too, I enjoy hand quilting, piecing is not my thing. I can't get them to match either. I enjoy applique and crazy quilting, it's more freeing. I could also see this background done with fabric cut with the die and using this method! Great technique!
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great detail in that card, Catherine! It's amazing the patterns that can be created by replicating basic shapes - I need to get back to my stash to see what I've been overlooking!
    Laurel Lee Pollard
    www.NewEnglandPaperCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful. I envy you...you have a sewing machine! I used to, but I could never get the bobbin to work, threaded I mean. So I donated it to charity. Everyone in my family can sew but me. We all have our gifts. You have a wonderful eye for color. Great, great job. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this project...love that hexagon die and how you utilized it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quilts too. But I never learned how to make them but I think I could pull this card together. By using Christmas/holiday papers, this would make a pretty Christmas card, as well. Thanks for sharing. Love your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...