Sunday, May 12, 2013

Burlap Wall Hanging

Hi Everyone, Jan here with today's blog post. First off, I want to wish all the moms out there, a Happy Mother's Day! Hope all of you are enjoying your day, you deserve it!



My project today is a small wall hanging, which would make a great gift! On the top burlap panel, I used Sizzix's Movers and Shapers Mini Clipboard top and bottom, so that I could switch out different photos.



I started off with two Tim Holtz burlap canvases, the large one is 6" x 8" and the smaller one is 6" x 4".



I then cut my two pieces of patterned paper (My Mind's Eye collection, Up and Away) and cut them slightly smaller than the panels. Machine stitch around the edges, distress, and ink the edges of both pieces.



With the large piece of paper, I lightly marked with pencil, the distance apart that I wanted my Sizzix Clipboard top and bottom.



If you have not used this die set before, there are sections that do not cut out. You might have to use a

crease pad instead of one of the cutting pads. Whenever there are crease lines on certain dies, depending on your machine, these can cut instead of crease when using two cutting pads. Better to be safe than sorry! There are marks on each piece where the centre is, but because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be; I went over these with a white marker. I also wrote the word cut, on the cutting edge of the bottom die. I was rushing, and of course, cut the bottom upside down the first time. I won't be making that mistake anymore!

die cutting

I lightly taped my dies to my paper with removable tape, just to make sure they were cutting out in the right place. I then flipped my paper so the magnetic dies clung to the base tray. After die cutting, erase the pencil marks.



Here's a card in the clipboard, so you can see how it works. I decided to lightly ink the edges of the clipboard, but you could also paint it so it stands out more. I also adhered a small piece of paper behind the area which was die cut, so the burlap didn't show through.

Before adhering my paper to the panels, I screwed in some Tim Holtz screw eyes to the bottom of the top panel and the top of the bottom panels. Adhere your paper to the panels. I then applied a coordinating flower sticker to the bottom panel. Now you are ready to embellish!



I cut out three "Enjoy the Journey" words from Sizzix's Stacked Artful Words Decorative Strip die. Using dimensional adhesive squares (cut into thin strips), I layered the three together, creating a dimensional embellishment. Using some of my favourite flower dies; Sizzix Tattered Flower Decorative Strip, Tattered Pinecone, Mini Paper Rosettes, and the Tapered Fringe, I created various sizes of flowers. I made a very dimensional flower with the Tapered Fringe Decorative strip die, which I anchored in between the two panels. Taking the two fringe pieces, I staggered them slightly, and then rolled together, adhering the end. Threading a button with twine, I pulled it through the center of the flower, and tied it to one of the screw eyes.





I added a butterfly, cut out from Sizzix's Mini Movers and Shapers Butterfly set. To finish off my project, I attached the two panels with a ring, added some matching buttons and enamel dots to my flowers. Taking a long piece of tulle, I pulled it through one side of the burlap panel across to the other side, and tied a bow on top.



Your wall-hanging is done! You could turn this into a great Father's Day gift too. Instead of flowers, I think gears would look really cool. Hope I've inspired you to use all your wonderful flower dies. I love how you can switch out different photos, or cards with this Clipboard die!

Have a great day,
Jan


paper: My Mind's Eye- Up and Away
canvas: Tim Holtz 4x6 and 6x8 Burlap Canvas
hardware: Tim Holtz Jump Rings, Screw Eyes
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Picked Raspberry, Evergreen Bough
tools: Tim Holtz Edge Distressor

Let your personality shine through by filling your home with decor elements that are as unique as you are! For more ideas of ways to create unique decor, check out the Home Decor projects in the die cutting project gallery at Sizzix.com
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Wow ! Fabulous wall hanging ! Loved the texture added by burlap and the lovely flowers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love everything about it! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool!!! This is an amazing project. Great creative use of the clipboard die, awesome! The fringe flower is different from other flowers made with this die, I am still on the fence about this die. The colours are beautiful and bright and happy. This is a lovely gift idea and would be a treasured, forever keepsake. Thankyou for sharing your creative inspiration.
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous project Jan! Love all the flowers and the fringe flower is very cool. Great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, lots of products to drool over.. :))

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...