Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pocket Watch Engagement Album

Hi everyone! It's Shelly here today and I have a project that I think you'll love - it's actually all about love! My daughter got engaged last year to a wonderful guy and they are getting married next month. I'm so excited!


When I was thinking of a project for this month, I knew I wanted to use some of their engagement photos to create a special memento.


The Pocket Watch Frame from Tim Holtz is one of my favorite new dies - it is so versatile. By stacking several of the frames cut from chipboard, I was able to create a deep niche, perfect for holding a mini book! To make it even more fun, I created a hinged cover that keeps everything contained in a very pretty way. Here's how I made it:

die cutting
Begin by die cutting 10 pocket watch frames from chipboard using the Pocket Watch Frame die and the largest circle insert from the Sized Circles Movers and Shapers set. Cut the top off of 2 of the watches. Remove the insert and cut one pocket watch out of chipboard. Cut another from clear acetate. Trim the clear piece along the score line - this will be the window.


Using the solid watch as the base, begin gluing the watch frames together, using a strong adhesive. Glue 7 of the watch frames together, reserving one complete frame and the two with no top.


When the stacked and glued frames have dried, coat all pieces with white paint. Paint one of the circle frames on the front AND back side. Let dry completely.


Next, apply Shabby Shutters Distress Crackle paint randomly on the pieces. In addition, paint the reverse side of one of the circle frames (not shown). Die cut 3 small tabs from chipboard using the Tiny Tabs and Tags die. Paint and apply rub-ons when dry. Apply rub-ons to the acetate piece, making sure to take into account the area the frame will cover, and where they will cover the top photograph. I did several test placements, just to make sure no one's face was obscured. Finally, apply a light coating of both paints to a hinge.


Trim 2 of the tabs, leaving a small circle, and glue together. This will act as a shim for the fastener. Punch a hole in the center of the single pocket watch frame. Place the shim over the hole, and the tab on top of the shim. Insert the fastener. Apply adhesive to the back of the frame and glue to the pocket watch base.


Adhere the acetate to the back of the painted circle frame. When dry, attach one side of the hinge to the bottom of the circle. Adhere the other circle frame to the back side, sandwiching the acetate between the two pieces (by gluing the pieces in this order, we can hide the prongs from the fasteners). Line up the watch face frame and mark the holes for the other half of the hinge on the watch base. Using an awl or other small piercing tool, carefully bore an opening for the fastener prongs. Fill the holes with adhesive and insert brads. Let dry.


Cut 5 circles measuring 2 3/4". Cut 5 photographs to the same dimension.


To create the accordion book, lay out the paper circles and attach a length of ribbon to the back. Apply adhesive to the photos and adhere to paper, sandwiching ribbon between. Leave a small length of ribbon at the top. Fold it back and secure it, creating a pull tab for the book. Distress edges lightly, if desired.


Apply adhesive to the back of the last page, center in the watch niche and adhere. Fold pages up, accordion-style. Close cover, using the tab to hold it securely.


To complete the book, cut small flowers from tissue paper and coffee filters, using the Tattered Florals die. For each flower, stack five layers and secure with a Tiny Attacher. Fluff the layers and add a pearl to the center, covering the staple. Apply paint to a word band and adhere to watch face as shown. Attach a bauble and bird charm to right side. Adhere flowers as shown. Finally, tie a length of cream ribbon to the top of the watch.


I wanted a very shabby chic look to my album, but you could easily take this idea in many different directions. By using more metallic and masculine elements, it could be a Father's Day or Steampunk project. Mine will be a gift for my daughter's future mother-in-law. She has been so wonderful to Olivia and I think she will love this special memento!

See you next month,Shelly

die cutting supplies

Paint: Tim Holtz: Distress Crackle Paint - Shabby Shutters; Distress Paint - Picket Fence
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Word Bands, Remnant Rubs,  Baubles, Charms, Crinkle Ribbon, Long Fasteners, Hinges, Jump Ring
Surfaces: Authentique Peaceful; Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tissue Wrap; Chipboard; White Coffee Filters; Transparency/Acetate
Adhesives: Ranger Studio Multi Medium; Scotch Tape Glider; Beacon 3-in-1
Other: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Tiny Fastener, paper distressing tool

Are you ready for even more die cutting inspiration featuring the Tim Holtz Alterations collection?  If so, you won't want to miss the Tim Holtz project gallery on Sizzix.com.  It is packed with great project ideas and instructions!
Pin It!

33 comments:

  1. This turned out so great! What a wonderful gift. Thank You for the tutorial. Congrats to your daughter. Enjoy the wedding and celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! And such a wonderfully versatile technique - I could see this as a great Father's Day album, too. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting here with my jaw dropped to the floor!!! Amazing Shelly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Shelly, this is amazing! Love it! What a great idea for a gift, the album, hinge and closure are all so clever. Love the distressed crackle painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! wonderful Shelly!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly this is so beautiful! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I was thinking about making something similar for an upcoming project. The engagement pictures make it such a nice keepsake. They are an adorable couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous, heartfelt gift, Shelly! You have outdone yourself with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly, Shelly, Shelly!!! Each time I think you've outdone yourself....you go beyond that! This is so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!! Never in a million years would I have looked at this pocket watch frame die and come up with this!! amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelly, when I saw the teaser, I knew this was going to be something fantastic. It is absolutely breathtaking! You are amazing, girl. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic Shelly! Another one hit out of the park!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely stunning!!!! I looked at the die and thought I probably wouldn't use it, but now I want it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, how did you have time to make an album with all the wedding preparations looming? This is fantastic, Shelly! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creativity. Now, if I could EVER get that die...I have had it on order for a long time now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This an absolutely stunning, amazing and beautiful Keepsake. The mother-in-law will cherish it always. What beautiful work Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to get on the mother in law's good side ;) She will treasure that forever. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic album, Shelly! Stunning and elegant... love the B&W pics, too... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh Shelly, you are amazing!!! I know I tell you that all the time but you just keep coming up with such beautiful and amazing pieces of ART! Thanks so much for always sharing your techniques.
    Gail in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shelly: First, congrats on your daughter's engagement. Your future son-in-law is very blessed to have such a beautiful fiance and wife-to-be! I just LOVE what you did with the pocket watch frame die. The die and the circles were my first CHA 2013 purchase and I already have used it. Thank you so much for sharing what you did to create an elegant work of art made from the heart. Oh, my! I must tell you that I used an entire 12 x 12" piece of grunge paper and stacked them the best I could. OMG Shelly. I only had pieces and still stacked them a bit crooked. I am going to study your tut to the MAX!!! Maybe I'll get the stack straight. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats!! Wow....How Fun......I am so Happy for you!
    This is Awesome Shelly I sure wish my mind could create like yours!!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shelly, this is beautiful. Great use of the die. Thank you for sharing this awesome tutorial. I have the pocket watch frame, I just need the circle movers & shapers. Congratulations to the beautiful happy couple. I hope they have a beautiful wedding and a long and happy marriage.
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shelly, what a beautiful album. Olivia's mother-in-law will be thrilled with this little gem! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Shelly beautiful album, I'm sure your daughter's MIL will treasure it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  23. You rock! What an awesome gift for your daughter's future mother-in-law. Sure to keep peace in the family! I love to see projects like this posted, not just cards. Don't get me wrong, I love cards. Great work. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent tutorial, as always!I love how you look at the dies and think outside the box-I am constantly inspired! Congrats to both families-such a joyous time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Shelly what a wonderful project, and a precious gift for the bride & groom!
    LaWana

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous project!!! It's spectacular and will make a wonderful gift that will doubtless become an heirloom.

    Thanks for a wonderful tutorial, which I pinned for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous, gorgeous, I love that shabby shutters crackle paint... just so perfect ( you "KNOW" how to create with passion...I don't know if that came out right)!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bellisimo trabajo, me gusta mucho, gracias por el pap

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is genius. My favorite find this week. Pinning...and putting that pocket watch on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...