Saturday, April 13, 2013

Hover Hummingbird Layout

Hi everyone, it's Jan here with today's tutorial. A couple of weeks ago, Anna-Karin featured this stencil technique, using your dies as stencils. I love using my dies as stencils too, especially the background or design type ones as I used in my layout below:





die cutting
I started off by die-cutting Sizzix's Jen Long Damask Thinlit die from transparency film. Because this is a thinlit die, heavier plastic would be too thick, so I went with the thinner transparency film.


Next, I mixed Tim Holtz Distress Paint into my modeling paste on a non-stick craft mat. I used the colors, Sage Green, Mustard Yellow, and Broken China.


I didn't mix them together completely, I like the variations of color when I apply the mixture.


Taking my stencil and holding it down on the background paper, I applied my modeling paste. I applied some areas a little heavier than others. Set aside to dry. Wash off your stencil immediately.


The patterned papers I used were from Basic Grey's "Serenade" Collection.


While waiting for my paste to dry, I die-cut the embellishments for my layout. I used the Sizzix Movers and Shapers Postage Stamp Frame Bigz die behind my journaling paper. The chipboard and patterned paper bird and two flourishes are from Sizzix's Brenda Walton Bird & Scroll Bigz die. My flowers were cut out using the Sizzix Flower Blooms & Leaves Sizzlit die by Scrappy Cat and the Sizzix Flower Layers & Leaf Framelits die by Stephanie Barnard.


Adhere the patterned paper to your chipboard pieces (bird & flourishes), ink and sand the edges. With the flowers, shape the petals, ink the edges, and attach the layers with brads.


I printed my hummingbird legend piece(from Papyrus) on a piece of patterned paper 4 1/2" x 3 1/2, taking care not to print on the left side which is tucked behind my photos. This was pop-dotted onto my inked postage stamp. The postage stamp was adhered to the background paper approximately 3" from the top and about 4 1/2' from the right, at a slant. The three 2 1/2" square photos were double matted and adhered partially on top of the stamp, leaving about 2 1/2" showing. I adhered the flourishes on the bottom left and right of the photos.

For the bird, I applied Tim Holtz Rock Candy Crackle paint to the patterned paper that was glued to the chipboard. When that dried, I inked the edges with Broken China Distress Ink. The wings were three pieces of die-cut patterned paper, inked and stapled to the bird. Adhere this to the top of your matted photos.


For the final step, I die-cut a large banner from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Tattered Banners Decorative strip die, and inked the edges. I pop-dotted letters die-cut from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Word Play XL Bigz die on top and adhered to my page. I also added in an embellishment from Basic Grey's Serenade collection. Your layout is finished!

I was sitting on my mother-in-law's deck when this hummingbird showed up, so I quickly reached for my camera. Not quick enough, I missed him the first time, but waited patiently for him to come back. He made quite a few trips back to the feeder, so I managed to snap some fast photos!

Until next time,

Jan

die cutting supplies

Are you a scrapbooker looking for more ways to incorporate die cutting into your pages? Our project gallery at Sizzix.com can help! We have over 200 scrapbook pages with instructions to help give you the creative jumpstart you need!
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Wow ! Fabulous layout ! Loved the use of stencil n modeling paste ,adds texture to the page and the humming bird is very pretty !Loved the flowers too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! The modeling paste adds some nice texture. The photos are incredible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout Jan! Love your stencil and multicoloured paste. Gorgeous flowers and bird too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page is gorgeous!!! WOW!!!!! Thank you for sharing your stenciling technique. The flowers, the bird and flourish the paper it is all fantastic. I will use the stencil making great idea. More ways to use our dies is awesome, I love it!
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh this is inspirational. Love it. I love it. This definitely is something I want to try and it gives me so many ideas. Thank you!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Boy, Jan. Love the tut using the modeling paste. Got to try it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning, Jan! I love all the beautiful details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Love the colours not being completely mixed in. Great idea with transparency film.
    My 'selfish' reason for liking so much is I am new to all the dies (have had machine for a year but cannot afford dies very often). This helps me understand the difference between different types. Of course I now NEED all of these, lol.
    Your composition is great & photos are gorgeous. Thank you :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many ideas in this article! I looove your layout! It is gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...