Monday, April 22, 2013

Embossed Birds Bracelet

Hi all! It's Johnnie here to show you how to make a this embossed metal square bracelet using Vintaj DecoEmboss folders, metal blanks and some basic jewelry making supplies.



This project is surprisingly quick and easy. You will be sporting your chunky, colorful, one of a kind piece in no time, so let's get started!





I started with 5 square metal blanks by vintaj that had three holes punched on one side. You could die cut your own squares from a metal sheet or go with blanks. I embossed the squares using Vintaj DecoEmboss Dies Butterfly Swirls and Woodland Birds.



To give the embossed squares a slight curve, I tapped them with a the plastic head of my dual head rubber and plastic hammer to form to a tuna can. A cuff mandrel would be ideal, but this works too.


Using the holes in one side as guides, I marked holes on the opposite side of the square with a permanent marker and punched with my metal hole punch.



I brought out the embossed design by sanding with the relief block.


I used Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Mustard Seed for the yellow blanks. The aqua is Vintaj Patina in Verdigras. For the purple, I mixed distress paint Barn Door and Salty Ocean.



To bring back the metal on the raised part of the embossed design, I sanded lightly with the relief block.


Once I was happy with the look, I painted on a layer of glaze and let dry overnight.



I joined the embossed squares with 7.25 mm brass jump rings by Vintaj in the outer 2 holes on the sides, leaving the middle hole empty. For closure I added a toggle clasp.



I just love my new bracelet! It is so easy to make and looks all involved and impressive. These would make fantastic gifts for Mother's Day or any occasion, guaranteed to be cherished.

Thanks for joining me today!

die cutting supplies


paint: Tim Holtz Distress Paint- Mustard Seed, Barn Door, Salty Ocean; Vintaj Patina- Verdigris, Vintaj Clear Glaze
jewelry findings: 7.25 mm Jump rings; Toggle Clasp
tools: Vintaj Relief Block; 2 pairs of pliers; metal hole punch; Dual head plastic and rubber hammer; tuna can; permanent marker; small soft paint brush; detail brush

Sizzix can help you create one of a kind jewelry pieces that are as fun, funky, and unique as you are!  When you create the accessories they are sure to be a perfect match to your style.  For more ideas for creating jewelry with die cutting and embossing, visit the Jewelry Project Gallery at Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing a Vintaj piece! I love how impressive the Sizzix Vintaj folders make the metal blanks. Vintaj also sells a Domer that will give the curve to a metal blank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I am so glad to know about the domer. I need that! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hi! this really is gorgeous**so much lovely detail and very special too.hugs Lou.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou, thanks for the love. Glad you like it. I can't believe how simple it is to make such intricate designs with these folders. #addicted

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous!! Love the colors you chose too!! I soooo want to try this!! Great job, Johnnie!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Hilary. The color palette was inspired by a shirt my step daughter was wearing! I fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this project Johnnie! I am always drawn to beautiful art with birds on it and great for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know I could use metal too, and the design looks stunning and very easy to do. Will give it a try later on. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I think you are gonna love using metal. Researching how to emboss metal for my jewelry pieces is what landed me with a Sizzix in the first place. It is a staple in my jewelry making arsenal now!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous bracelet! Love the colours and all the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna-Karin. I am a little bird obsessed myself :)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous - definitely a gift I'd be happy to receive!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this jewelray - will have to give this a try! tfs - vivian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bracelet - like something straight out of Anthropologie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is impressive! You make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is all kinds of awesome. Always looking for ways to make my paper and jewelry crafting worlds come together. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just clearanced one of the Vintaj Sizzix at work last month!!!! Ugh!! If I only knew! If I can get my head out from under the sewing machine, I would find that I would love to make OOAK pieces like this! Oh well,I will learn eventually! Thanks for sharing, you are awesome!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johnnie- love this idea! Need to try that... thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. You will be amazed at how quick and easy it is!

      Delete
  15. This is gorgeous Johnnie! I love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty! Great job!

    -Erin @ DIY on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this tutorial. I have resisted starting something new but you made it look sooo easy!! I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, that is amazing!! What a gorgeous bracelet! Love those Vintaj DecoEmboss folders, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous, Johnnie! You always have the most amazing DIY jewelry! I think I need you to come teach me a lesson since jewelry making doesn't come naturally to me at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I am floored my this project... the Vintaj, the Sizzix... the upcycling. It's the golden triangle of crafting! Amazing! Love it Johnnie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful project! Johnnie, you always make the BEST DIY jewelry! Love the colors in this!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...