Friday, March 15, 2013

You Mean the World to Me Accordion Card

Hello crafty friends! Gretchen here and today I’m sharing with you how to make a card using the Accordion Flip Album Die and matching Frame & Label Die by Karen Burniston.


 For this particular card I’m going to cut all the pieces I need first and then assemble them at the end.

die cutting

For the base of the card, start with two accordion album pieces created from the Accordion Flip Album Die. You’ll be able to layer two pieces of cardstock on your Bigz die and cut once.


Next cut your decorative frames using the Frame & Label Die. You will need two matching frame pieces to decorate the inside and two coordinating pieces to match the outside (not shown).

With this die, several pieces are cut at once time. The smallest label piece fits perfectly in the inside of an Accordion Album page so save one of those for what will be the card front. All the other pieces you can save for some other fun crafty projects.


Use your Frame & Label Die to cut a photo. Print a photo that’s approximately 4” x 4”. Take one of your small label pieces and lay it over the main part of your photo you want to cut, I held up mine up to a light to get the placement I wanted. Next, lay your photo with die piece onto your die. You are visually lining up the die pieces with the shape on the die. If it’s off by a little bit it wont matter, it will still cut the main area you need. Sandwich up your die and run through your Big Shot Machine.


Stamp a frame and sentiment using the Word Labels Framelits & Stamps set by Stephanie Barnard. Color in your frame and then cut it out using a matching framelits die that comes with the set.


Use the Borders & Hydrangeas die by Eileen Hull to create four medium and four small flowers. Fold each petal together to create some dimension and then use a Glue Dot to secure a small flower to a medium flower. Add a gem to the center of each for decoration.


Make an “I {heart} u” banner using a die from the Hearts & More Set by Eileen Hull. I cut mine out of white, popped the letters and heart out, and then glued a small pieces of cardstock behind it so the letters would show through.


Now that all the pieces are cut, it’s time to assemble the card.

Lay your base pieces created from the Accordion Flip Die next to one another with the tabs facing to the right. On that right hand pieces, cut off the long tab and the two shorter tabs. On the left hand piece, add a strong adhesive to the long tab and two shorter tabs. Adhere your inside decorative pieces created from the Frame & Label die to the left and right side.


The largest Frame & Label piece helps keep the front and back of your album or card strong when added. If you are using these pieces on the inside of an album or card, the pieces that meet at the fold will need to be trimmed. Just fold down the tab and trim away the excess using scissors.


Join your two pieces together. Lay your right hand pieces on top of the tab of the left hand piece. For now, don’t worry about the two small tabs.


Flip your “accordion card” over and add your coordinating pieces to the outside of the card. For my card, I used yellow for the front and white for the back.


Flip your card back over and adhere a decorative label on the left and your photo on the right.


Decorate your card front by adding your sentiment and three of your flowers as shown. You can do this with your card opened or closed.



Finish off your card by adding your last flower directly on your photo in the lower right hand corner and adding the “I {heart} u” banner on the lower right hand portion of the frame. Secure the two small tabs on the left behind the right side portion of your card that flips. Train the card so the front is shown when the card is closed.

The great thing about this versatile die is you can use it to create a small card project like the one above or a larger album with multiple pages. for an example of a larger album, please feel free to check out my Trick or Treat Accordion Album on my personal blog.

Have a great weekend everyone!


die cutting supplies



cardstock: Bazzill Textured White, Textured Sunshine; Core’dinations Foundations Canvas Texture Polar Ice; Salmon color (unknown).
patterned paper: Pebbles Walnut Grove Nellie and Eliza Jane.
ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
markers: The Craft Collection Soda Pop (623)
adhesives: Tombow Permanent Adhesive, Tombow Mono Aqua Liquid Adhesive, Glue Dots.
other: gems, scissors

The project gallery on Sizzix.com is a great source of die cutting inspiration.  No matter what type of project you have on your agenda, we have the inspiration for it!
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Looks like it this would be great to kit up for the kids. Everything coordinates perfectly and they'd get to create a great "WOW" project for themselves! THX, Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laurel! They would make excellent kits, great idea!

      Delete
  2. This is so sweet Gretchen! Great idea to use the Accordion Flip Album for a photo card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to find out where I could get hold of the accordion cutter as I could not find them anywhere. Help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrapp'n Savvy in Houston has some left. She is willing to ship. Go to www.scrappnsavvy.com and call the store.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! I Need all these dies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this project, Gretchen! You and your grandmother are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this project! Brought tears to my eyes.
    KY Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice card Gretchen- so cheerful and springlike... It looks like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Eileen, thank you! I think the flowers add that nice spring touch! ;-)

      Delete
  8. awww this card totally warms my heart. love the pic of you and your mom! thanks for the tutorial. as soon as i get my hands on this die, i will be referring to this! - vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Vivian! That lovely lady is my 95 year old Grandmother. I was so project focused when I wrote my tutorial that I forgot to mention her.

      Delete
  9. Thankyou for sharing this project. The accordian die is on my wish list, and one of the projects I want to make with it is cards. So, when I do get my die I will have these instructions. Great project!
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. This die continues to catch my eye ... and move me toward "need" over "want"! Love your project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I NEED this die!!!! Your card is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello and hello Gretchen,
    Wonderful card and color scheme.

    Your art is beautiful.

    Thanks to you I just ordered my Big Kick Machine and a bunch of dies. I am hoping the Sizzix machine makes it easier and faster when I am creating new Pop-Up book designs.

    Keep up the gret work.

    Cannot wait to see more.

    Happy thoughts,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...