Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pop 'n Cuts Sugar Egg Easter Card

Happy Wednesday, everyone! It's Shelly here to share a little vintage Easter card.


Do you remember the sugar eggs with the little peep hole? I've always been so fascinated by them. With Easter just a few weeks away, I decided to try making a paper version of one. All it takes is few fantastic Sizzix dies, some pretty paper, and LOTS of glitter!


The best part of this card? It's a Pop 'n Cuts! I have been dying to try a PNC card with a window and this project was the perfect opportunity to play with this idea. Another idea I've been wanting to try is making a self-closure for my Pop 'n Cuts cards. Inspired by Karen Burniston's new PNC designed for Stampin' Up, I created one using Tim Holtz' Brackets On the Edge die and the Mini Baroque Movers and Shapers die.
Let's get started!


Begin by cutting an egg shape from chipboard. I used a template found here. Adhere patterned paper to chipboard shape and trim closely.


Sand edges lightly. Don't worry if it's not perfect - we'll be covering up the edges later. Using Tim Holtz' new Sized Ovals Movers and Shapers die (I used the medium one) cut a hole in the center of the egg.


Cut white cardstock using the Vintage Lace strip die. Adhere the smallest piece to the center of the egg as shown.


From the same set of lace strips, take the scalloped piece and make small cuts between the scallops, being sure not to cut all the way through. This will allow the lace to follow the curves of the egg.


Adhere the lace piece to the outside of the egg as shown. Cover the egg with glue and coat with Rock Candy Dry Glitter (not shown). Set aside to dry.


Cut several flowers using the Tattered Flower Garland strip die. Shape around a dowel or the end of a paint brush. Stack together and adhere, adding a pearl to the center of each flower.


Cut a bunny and bow from paper-covered chipboard using the Mini Bunny and Bow set. Cover it and the flowers with Glue 'n Seal and coat with glitter. When dry, glue a little pom pom tail to the bunny.


Now, let's make our card base! Cut a piece of gray cardstock 5 1/2 x 11". Using the Circle Label Pop 'n Cuts insert and the Base Tray, cut the card as shown. Karen Burniston has a great video here, if you are unfamiliar with this technique. I also explained my method in my PNC Star Book post, found here.


After you've folded your card, trim it down to 5" x 5". I always cut my paper just a bit bigger, in case my die cut is a little wonky.


Next, trim about 1/2' off the front of the card.


Using Tim Holtz' Brackets On the Edge die, cut the front. Center the paper on the die and line the edge up with the larger of the two bracket shapes. I always add a piece of removable tape to keep the paper from shifting.


Now it's time to cut our window. Determine where you want the opening to be - mine is just slightly off center and to the right. Tape into place and cut. You would normally use a Movers and Shapers die face up, but it's easier to get the correct placement this way.


Decorate the front and inside as desired. Since I cut my opening before it was decorated, I had to re-cut the opening. Next, we'll cut the tab! Line the Baroque Photo Corner die up with the edge as shown. Make sure it's centered on the point of the bracket as well, since that's what will be inserted into it. Tape in place and cut.


Add a pearl dot in the center of the tab. How cool is that closure?? My life has been changed. ;-)


Next, we'll gather the elements for the inside of the card. Cut a large circle label using the Circle Label insert. You'll have to trim it away from the rest of the die cut. Cut a smaller label using the Circle Label from Karen Burniston's Sizzlits Love set. Layer together. Cut a 2-3" piece of crepe paper and fringe the edge with scissors.


Adhere all pieces to the pop-up inside the card, as shown. I also added a couple of glittered flowers and the flourish from the Circle Label Sizzlits die. Stamp sentiment and adhere.


On the front of the card, attach the egg shape using pop dots, making sure it's centered over the opening. Adhere the glittered flowers to the top using Beacon's 3-in-1 glue. Thread a ribbon through the card and tie into a bow. Slip the point of the card front into the tab to close. You're done!


I am so in love with this glittery confection! I hope you're inspired to try one of your own. It would be fun try different scenes inside the egg...I can't wait to make a few more!

Until next month,

Shelly
http://shellyhickox.blogspot.com




paper: My Mind's Eye - In Bloom, gray cardstock, chipboard
stamps: Tim Holtz Stamper Anonymous Simple Sayings
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Barn; Stazon- Gray,
stain: Tim Holtz Distress Stain- Weathered Wood
adhesives: Beacon 3-in-1, Ranger Collage Glue Stick, Ranger Glue 'n Seal, pop dots
embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Crinkle Ribbon; adhesive pearls; white crepe paper; Tim Holtz Distress Dry Stickles- Clear Rock Candy


Now that it is March, it is time to get started on Easter projects! For more Easter project ideas, head to the die cutting project gallery at Sizzix.com. We have plenty of ideas to inspire your Spring and Easter crafting!
Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Ah, brings back memories! Fantastic card. So clever to have the cut out window. Oh, and all that glittery goodness really looks like sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is a beauty! So bright and cheerful! I love how you fashioned the card closure with the photo corner movers and shapers! Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful card, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful Shelly! I LOVE the opening where you can see the pop-up and that closure you made is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, this is such a wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Shellypiece! I love everything about this. Magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to eat it! Beautiful colors, techniques and dimension. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly this is awesome. Love the colors, the "sugar" look, really the whole darn thing. You are so clever and that is my HIGHEST complement I give. I love a clever girl.
    paula
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...Shelly, this is just fantastic! Love the sugary card elements....and peekaboo egg is a brilliant idea! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Your genius knows no bounds. Excellent tutorial.
    Ky Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this and all its glittery goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do I ever, remember those sugar eggs!! I was always fascinated by them, too!! This is beautiful!! :) Love the colors you chose and the glitter is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering from the memories you stirred up. I used to want one of those wonderful sugar eggs my cousin always got in her Easter basket, but I never got one! I love your interpretation of it, and thanks for the inspiration! My little granddaughters will love a card like this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, wow, wow. I want everything you used! Although I can't justify this season, I'll have to work on it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This card is beautiful Shelly! That closure is just what I have been wishing for and I already have the on the edge brackets die, woohoo!
    This is a very creative use of the popncuts die, I love it. Thankyou for sharing your artistic creativity and a fantastic visual tutorial. Now I will be needing the photo corner mover & shaper die. Movers & Shapers dies are so versatile, limited only by our imaginations. I will be trying a version of this card.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. This card is FABULOUS, Shelly! I love what you did and bravo on coming up with the card closure. You are sooooo talented, lady!!! Sizzix is very lucky to have you:)
    - DebbieK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super fantastic and soooo beautiful! WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shelly,
    AWESOME as always! This is gorgeous. You continue to amaze me.
    Gail in Oklahoma



    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...