Monday, March 11, 2013

Enjoy The View Layout

Hi everyone, it's Jan here today, to share a layout.



I don't know if any of you are the same, but I love old windows. So, when I saw the Sizzix Tim Holtz Pediment Bigz Die, I knew I would love using this one. So with Tim Holtz Shattered Core-dinations Kraft paper and chipboard, I cut out my die twice.

die cutting

For the window base and shutters, I cut out an envelope from Sizzix's Movers & Shapers Pocket Envelope.



Using the largest of Sizzix's Tim Holtz Movers & Shapers Magnetic 3pk Rectangle dies, I cut out the center of the envelope. I had to cut it out separate from the envelope, as it was too large to fit inside, so I used my Sizzix Movers & Shapers Accessory Base Tray. Fold along the crease lines.

I cut out two rectangles the same size as the envelope flaps. Originally, I left the flaps the original size, but later trimmed them a bit narrower. The two rectangles were embossed, using Sizzix's Tim Holtz Woodgrain & Bricked texture fade embossing folder. You could just emboss the two flaps, but I wanted them to stand out a bit more than the window frame. Sand the raised areas and adhere to the flaps.



Adhere the pediment die cut paper to the chipboard, sand the edges and glue to the top flap, trimming the flap so it doesn't show behind. I bent the bottom flap to the back which my photo was adhered in front of.



Next, I cut a piece of patterned paper about 9 1/2" x 4 1/2". The papers I used for this layout were all from the Kaisercraft collection, 75 Cents. I cut the edge with Sizzix's Tim Holtz On The Edge Torn and Notebook die. I then die-cut a note card piece from this paper collection with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Cameo Frame Bigz Die. Ink the edges on both pieces. Adhere the Cameo Frame about 2 1/2" from the bottom left edge of your background paper and 1/8" from the left edge. Next adhere the notebook paper to your background paper, about 1 1/2" from the bottom and 1/8" from the right side. I did not apply adhesive to the very top edge, as I will be tucking in another die-cut piece.

Glue your trimmed photo to the back of the window. Using pop-dots, adhere your finished window just below the notebook top edge and in the middle of your paper, approximately 1 3/4" from the top of the page.



Next, to make the picture wheel, cut out two pieces from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Picture Wheel Bigz Die,

one from patterned paper and the other, chipboard. Adhere the patterned paper to the chipboard and sand the edges. I used a tinted piece of transparency (from Maggie Holm's collection) or you could use a plain clear transparency, and trimmed it to fit the back of my picture wheel. I had all these tiny photos from where I had my photos developed, which I cut out to adhere to the back of the wheel. Just before I was going to glue it down, I decided I wanted it to turn.



I cut a thin piece of foam (from one of the foam pieces I save from my Sizzix Embossing Packages). Next, I poked a brad through the middle of my wheel and through the middle of the piece of foam, bending the brad loosely so it turned easily. I applied an adhesive strip to the foam and adhered this to my page, just below the left side of my window. This allowed the wheel to turn around, if someone with very good eyesight, I might add, wanted to see all the photos.



Next, cut out from patterned paper and Sizzix's Flower & Vine Card Edges Decorative Strip die, the two pieces. One is tucked slightly under the top right notebook paper. Now you are ready to add in all the flowers and butterflies (hand-cut from my patterned paper).



When I adhered my hand-cut flowers, flower stickers, and die-cut flowers, I made sure they did not interfere with the wheel so it would still turn. The stickers and hand-cut flowers closest to the wheel, I first glued these to pieces of acrylic (cut from packaging) so they stayed stiff and did not droop on top of the wheel. These were glued to the right of the wheel. The die cut flowers are cut from patterned paper and Sizzix's Tim Holtz Tattered Flower Bigz Die and Mini Movers & Shapers Tattered Flower dies. Before I adhered those to my page, I cut out another flower vine, using Sizzix's Flower Vine #2

Decorative strip die with patterned paper and adhered it in between the wheel and window. Now glue your flowers and butterflies to your page. There is still a remaining card edge vine left, so I cut this up and tucked it in places where I needed to fill in.

To finish off my layout, I cut out the words "Enjoy the Journey" from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Stacked Words Decorative Strip, "Artful Words". I cut off the word, "journey" and cut out the word, "view", from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Word Play die, sanded the letters and adhered to my page.

Hope you enjoyed the view from my window! This photo was taken on a trip visiting my husband's relatives in Wales. We were on our way to see a forest full of bluebells (Coed-Y-Bwydd forest) and stopped when we came upon this view of the valley. It was breathtaking! Whenever I look at this photo, I want to go back! Do you have a favorite "view"that you would like to see from a window?

Thanks for visiting, have a great day!

Jan
http://janhobbins.blogspot.ca





paper: Tim Holtz Core’Dinations Kraft Paper- Shattered;  Kaisercraft “75 cents” collectionMaggie Holmes (Crate Paper) transparency
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink
adhesive: Pop Dots

Are you ready for even more amazing ideas of incorporating die cutting into your scrapbooking layouts?  The project at Sizzix.com is packed with ideas for scrapbook pages that will help you make your pages mini works of art!
Pin It!

42 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! I love the window...I love the picture wheel...love the faux wood grain. Love, love , love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful layout Jan! Love the clever window you created and the picture wheel and all the flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just absolutely beautiful! One of the best layouts that I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect and artistic. We are so lucky to have you here in town Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! this really is amazing**,so much gorgeous detail and really creative too-love it all.hugs Lou.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This layout is amazing!! The window is my favourite of this project, I am waiting for my pediments die to arrive at my local store. Thankyou for sharing your techniques, very inspiring.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your layout is absolutely gorgeous. You have a wonderful mind that lets you put all of this together in one layout. I love that the wheel turns! Amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to do some major shopping-this is fantastic.I saw no need for the Die-Pediments until I saw this.Now my mind is full of ideas of how to use it. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea and nicely executed. Well done, Jan...thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I have not commented on this site in some time, but this layout just blew me away. I truly love everything about it! I'm going to have to scraplift this for a picture I snapped of my dad as he was walking away and chatting with one of his cousins. I even have the perfect title "saying goodbye", since the picture was taken after his doctor told us he was terminal. Even though it breaks my heart, I love having that memory of my dad and being able to display it makes it even more special. Thank you so much for a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a lot of work and talent in this page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, my creative mojo has been in a bit of a slump lately and your project has so much eye candy that I don't quite know where to begin to compliment the genius of your design! Thanks Jan for providing the cure for this crafter's creative woes. You are amazing.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, absolutely stunning! Love the whole layout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jan, this is such a work of art and jam-packed with inspiration! I love everything from the way you used the envie die to the fact that you added little pictures to the picture wheel die! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Love how you made the shutters, and the great sky!Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! Love so many elements of this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The diecuts are great, but I love the colours you have used for this piece. Brilliant! Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore this!! I have a thing for windows as well and can't wait to get my hands on Tim's Pediments Die.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful layout and amazing use of Tim's dies. Congrats on being on of Tim's Blogworthy links this month.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jan! You are a genius! I loove the way you used those dies, especially the creat!The envelope and the empediments to make the window! And finally what a great lay out! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I love all the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, fantastic use of the dies. The composition and colors are so pleasing. Great layout.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW, WOW and WOW AGAIN ! This layout is sooooooooooo amazing... I LOVE ALL the details, and your tutorial is great. The combination of colors and textures you used... just WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa! Thank you for sharing your tut. And, also showing off those new dies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely beautiful! Love the window and the colours. You have created an exceptionlly well composed layout. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is absolutely amazing, as is ALL that Jan creates. I love her use of color and, well, just every single thing about this gorgeous layout. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sent by Tim Holtz worth the trip. An absolutely wonderful scene. I love the window. More dies to buy - tfs
    I have bookmarked your blog again thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really Super cute! I will have to try this window. You make it sound very easy, but it looks amazing, so it can't be that easy! LOL! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. TRULY Awesome! Love every aspect of this layout.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stunning layout!! You outdid yourself my friend! Beautiful, beautiful!
    I can't find the words to tell you how wonderful your project is.

    Very inspirational!

    Hugs,

    Carmen Lucero

    ReplyDelete
  31. A beautiful layout and great use of the dies. I love the picture wheel and love what you did with on this piece. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so beautiful! Looking at it makes me happy. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A gorgeous layout. Very envious of your 'view' - an ex-pat living in the US - miss our bit of England (Derbyshire) very much.
    TFS - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! Your layout is absolutely spectacular. Congrats on getting a shout out from Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well this is nothing short of amazing! Truly love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh, I absolutely love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...