Thursday, March 21, 2013

Easter House

Hello everyone! Anna-Karin here with a tutorial for an Easter house that can be filled with a little gift or lots of chocolate eggs.

I like using dies in ways they were maybe not originally intended for and as soon I saw Eileen Hull's Square Box Scoreboards die I knew I wanted to use it to make a house. I love making houses and had fun making another one for my growing village. I used the new Thinlits dies to create the embellishments. By using other stamps, colours and embellishments, you could make this house for any theme. The base of the house is 3.25 in (8.3 cm) wide and it is 5.75 in (14.5 cm) tall. Let's get started:

Start by die cutting the base of the Square Box four times from white mat board. This is an XL die, so you need the extended cutting pads. There are only three strips on this photo, I later realised I needed four. These are your building blocks for the house. Two will be used for the house, and two for the roof.

die cuttingA house needs windows and a door, and Tim Holtz Mini Openings Movers & Shapers dies are perfect for this. One of the box strips will form three walls of your house. The other one forms one wall and the base and ceiling. Die cut the windows one at a time by attaching them to the mat board with low tack tape (I used Tim Holtz Idea-ology tissue tape), to prevent them from moving. Carefully place into your base tray and die cut. Repeat for the other windows and the door. Place the window on the piece at the top of this photo a little bit further in than I did, otherwise you will see a flap through it once the house is assembled (I only realised this when I had assembled mine).

Did you know that mat board can handle water techniques? I love using water and ink to create watercolour effects and was happy when I discovered that mat board handles water really well. Smear Distress Inks on your craft sheet, mist with water and a bit of Perfect Pearl and drag/smear one of the house parts into the ink. Repeat for the second box part. If you want your house to be very pearly, skip misting with water and only use Perfect Pearl. I wanted a subtle pearl effect on the house, and used mainly water.


Leave to dry or dry with a heat gun and stamp Mini Blueprints on the house with Archival Jet Black ink.


Use a foliage stamp and stamp grass all around the house with Shabby Shutters ink.

Stamp the Mini Blueprint images on white paper with Archival Jet Black ink. I used watercolour cardstock. You only need one impression of each, but I like to stamp two, in case I want to try some different colours or make a mistake. Dry with a heat gun.

Colour the images with your medium of choice. I watercoloured them with Distress Inks. When dry, add some detail with Stickles glitter glue. When dry, cut them out.

Die cut the Flower Vine twice from smooth white cardstock, as well as many flowers. I later cut more flowers than shown here. I love the detail you get with the Thinlits dies.

Apply Distress Ink to the vine and flowers with an ink blending tool. Mist with Perfect Pearl mist.
  You can see the shine from the mist better on this photo.

Die cut two butterflies from pink cardstock and coat them with Crystal Stickles, which has a pink tint, perfect for this project.
   With the Borders Thinlits, die cut four strips from green Core'dinations Kraft-Core cardstock and two doilies with the Doily & Doily Border (only one is shown on the photo). Sand to reveal the kraft core. These pieces will become grass around the house and a base for it to stand on.

It is easiest to decorate the house before you assemble it. Glue the border strips to the base as grass, layering two strips on top of each other and bending the tops to create dimension. Shape the flowers before gluing them to the house and add a pearl flower center. The butterfly and nest were attached with foam dots. Add Chit Chat stickers here and there. A piece of mica was glued to each window, you can also use acetate or clear packaging. I used lace to create curtains. Apply a strong adhesive to all the flaps except the one on the piece with the door, since this is where the box house will open.

Place a foam dot under each wing of the butterfly to create dimension.

Start by adhering the two box pieces together as shown.

Attach the back wall piece and the ceiling. I inked a door with Tumbled Glass and attached it with a little piece of scrap paper, so that it opens slightly. 

Cut off the flaps and one of the panels on a Square Box strip, this will form our roof. On the fourth box strip, cut off two triangles from both side pieces, making sure you keep the flaps on, since we will use these to attach the sides of the roof to the top.
 
Dry emboss butterflies on both sides of the roof and a checkered pattern on the triangles. Don't emboss the flaps, since they won't stick as well to the roof then.
 
Ink all the roof pieces with Iced Spruce and Black Soot.

Mist with Pewter Perfect Pearls.

To attach the triangles securely to the roof, I decided to use the scored flaps from the Square Box die. Since the dies scores them, they were perfect for this. You need to cut off a little bit on one side of the flaps otherwise it will show through at the front. Apply strong adhesive to the areas shown.

Die cut a Tattered Banner and Birds on a Wire from white smooth cardstock and ink with Distress Inks. Mist the birds with Perfect Pearls. Stamp a sentiment on the banner with alphabet stamps.

Decorate the roof with the vines, birds, flowers, banner, butterfly, pearls and Chit Chat stickers.
  Adhere the triangles as shown.

Adhere the other two sides of the triangles to form the roof. I also added a little mini stapel on each side to make sure they were stuck.

The roof needed a base too. Carefully measure your roof and cut a piece of mat board the exact same size. Ink and mist the same way as the other roof parts. Cut a third scored label into two and apply adhesive as shown.

You need to cut off the bracket parts of the flaps to make them fit inside the roof. Adhere to the base as shown.

Attach the base to the roof with the help of the flaps. I also added a little bit of Glossy Accents around the edges.

Apply adhesive to the top of the house.

Attach the roof to the house and you are done. If you want to, you could die cut a border or use a ribbon along the base of the roof to cover up the joint, but since I wanted my house to open, I didn't do that. Glue the house to the two doilies, overlapping them.

The whole front of the house opens up to and chocolate eggs will pour out. We always got candy in a cardboard Easter egg as children and this house remind me of that.

The nest side of the house. I love the glittery butterfly.

The other side of the house with the cute pink bunny. Here you can see that I should have die cut the windows a bit further in from the edge, since you can see the flap used to assemble the house.
   A close-up of the Perfect Pearls shine on the roof.
 
The back of the house. I love Karen Burniston's Birds on a Wire die and keep adding it to lots of different projects.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

die cutting supplies




Surfaces: Tim Holtz Core'dinations Kraft-Core cardstock; Neenah solar white cardstock; Canson watercolour paper
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz: Mini Blueprints 2, Spring Sprung; Hero Arts Printer's Lowercase alphabet stamps
Ink: Ranger Archival Jet Black; Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Shabby Shutters, Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn, Tumbled Glass, Mustard Seed, Crushed Olive, Black Soot, Iced Spruce, Gathered Twigs, Antique Linen, Worn Lipstick, Spun Sugar, Dusty Concord, Squeezed Lemonade
Mist: Ranger Perfect Pearls Mist: Perfect Pearl, Pewter
Stickles: Ranger Stickles: Crystal, Waterfall
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Seasonal Chit Chat stickers; USArt Quest mica; lace trim; pearls
Adhesive: Ranger Wonder Tape, Glossy Accents

Visit the Sizzix.com die cutting project gallery for even more Easter themed project ideas!
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. This tutorial is awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Love your Easter House, what a fun and fabulous gift idea...love all of the details and love that went into building it. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous Anna-Karin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Those stamps are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazingly beautiful project. Thankyou for sharing this tutorial, the instructions are great. I will be using these instructions, I collect little houses, and Christmas village pieces. Making a spring village is on my list of projects I want to do. The box die is on my wish list so are the thinlits. This project is "thinking outside the box". Fantastic!
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is a great idea! I have that die, but never would have thought to make a house with it! That is really thinking outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh adorable... fabulous inking and stamping, and what an amazingly detailed step-by-step - thanks so much!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! I Love every inch of this wonderful, jaw dropping, gorgeous house.
    KY marlene

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant! Being who I am-I am seeing a fantastic Halloween version in my mind.thank you for such great inspiration and instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely delightful! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this and would give anything to have the stuff to recreate it myself. Thank you so much for sharing. Your house is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really adorable. So inspirational, so many techniques that make the finished project really dazzling. Thanks for the how to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna-Karin: This house is outstanding, you clever girl! Wonderfully clear and detailed instructions. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice house. Thanks this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing house. Your attention to detail is inspiring. Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous project and tutorial. Thank you for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. You never fail to delight and amaze, Anna-Karin!! This is a fabulous project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. THank you SO much for posting this!! You have no idea....I have dressers that were my grandmother's that I've been dying to refinish, just thinking I'd have to pay someone to do it. I think this will be my summer project!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...