Friday, February 1, 2013

Rose Dream Pillow

When I saw the new Sizzix Rose Dream die, I knew it was a must have for me!  The Rose Dreams block is a traditional quilt block that also goes by the name True Lover’s Knot, Lover’s Knot, or Endless Chain among other things.  

This is a design that I would like very much to use on a quilt but thought I'd like to test it out first on a pillow to see how challenging it was, you know, to see what I was getting myself into before I cut into a lot of fabric!  I am pleased to say that the blocks went together quite easily!  

die cutting
Ebony Love has already done a very good job of demonstrating how to sew the Rose Dream block so I will not repeat it, but rather direct you to her tutorial.  I should note that the only thing I do differently from Ebony is use pins. I put one pin at the beginning of the curve, one at the notch in the center, and one at the end.  I find that it works better for me that way.

As you will see, we chose different layouts. I didn't include the Drunkard's Path block that is also include on this die.  Instead, I joined 4 of the Rose Dream blocks together in the more traditional manner.  I did find it necessary to square up my blocks ever so slightly do to stretching on the bias.  When I did that, the completed group of 4 blocks measured 13 1/4" so I cut my white sashing strips 2 1/2" wide by that length using the 2 1/2" strip die. I added cornerstones cut using the 2 1/2" square die.

I decided to use an envelope closure on the back of the pillow and bind using the same material.

I made this pillow as a gift for a friend.  Did you see how I "signed" it with a fussy cut "A" in the upper left hand corner?  I hope that makes it more special for her.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with the Rose Dream Die. In fact, I have already started cutting enough for a queen sized quilt, gulp.  I hope to have inspired you to try it out too!

Amy
http://duringquiettime.blogspot.com


die cutting supplies



fabrics: Hope Chest by Blend Fabrics (backing and binding); Junk Drawer Odds and Ends in RosebudLucky Penny Bike Path in PeacockMadrona Road Sprout in GraphiteLove NotesLizzy House Pearl Bracelets Meyer LemonKona White; Kyla May Smirk Grey Grid; Timeless Treasures



Are you ready to learn more about incorporating die cutting in your quilting?  Visit our quilting page on Sizzix.com to learn more!
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. The die is listed as needing the Sizzix PRO... you show using the BigShot. How did you manage to use this big die in the little BigShot? Or is this an error? Thank you.
    Love your pillow... it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need the Big Shot Pro. It's an error and I will see to getting it fixed right away. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that! I have fixed it.

      Delete
  2. Someday I'm going to get brave enough to try one of the quilting dies. Your projects are always so inspiring, Amy! I love this pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful block and superb back to go with! Sigh... you just added to my loooong list of to-do's!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...