Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Guest Designer Audrey Pettit~ Wish Big Sewing Kit

Hi everyone! I am so excited to be here today on the Sizzix blog! I have got a fun project to share with you that mixes some of my absolute favorite things...hand-stitched embroidery and, of course, Sizzix dies.


When I was a young girl, a family friend taught me how to embroider, and even after all these years, stitching is still one of my favorite crafty pursuits. I love how easy it is to create special hand-stitched gift sets, like my sewing kit here, with the help of a few Sizzix dies. Since the dies cut out fabric pieces as well as they do paper, you eliminate the need to pin patterns and hand-cut your fabric pieces. Talk about your time saver!

To get started on the pin-cushion, die cut two hearts from muslin and one heart from wool felt using the largest heart die from the Framelits Hearts Scallop die set.

Next, die cut a leaf branch from the Sizzlits Flowers, Branches, and Leaves die from chipboard. This will be used as a template a bit later on.

die cutting
And then die cut the small rolled flower from wool felt using the Flowers 3-D die, and two leaves from wool felt using the Leaves die.

Now we are ready for assembly. Using the leaf branch image you die cut from chipboard as a stencil, apply white paint to one of the muslin scalloped hearts. You only need to stencil the bottom of the heart, as the top half is going to be folded down later. Remove stencil and allow paint to dry completely.

Hand stitch around the edges of the stenciled leaves.

Fold down the top third of the muslin heart and press lightly to create a crease. Stitch or adhere lace trim to the top edge, fold back down along the creased line, and hand stitch the top down. Pin muslin heart onto the wool heart, and then pin both pieces to the second muslin heart. The folded-down top layer now becomes a little pocket. Hand-stitch the pin-cushion together, leaving enough of an opening to stuff the heart before stitching closed.

Add ribbons and bows to the center of the heart. Roll the die cut felt 3-D Flower around a wooden skewer, starting at the outside end and continuing until you reach the center. Stitch flower to the bows. Add bits of patterned fabric to the wool die cut leaves and add detail with hand-stitching and French knots. Stitch leaves to the pin-cushion.

Fill a mason jar with wooden spools. Cover the top of the jar with a paper doily, folding the excess down. Die cut two circles from the patterned fabric to fit the opening of the jar. Stitch the circles together, filling with stuffing before stitching closed. Adhere fabric to the paper doily and tie with ribbon.

To finish things off, repeat some of the steps above to create another rolled felt flower using the largest flower from the 3-D Flower die and two more hand-stitched felt leaves. Adhere to the center of the bow.

Using your die cut leaf branch stencil, apply white paint to a manila shipping tag. This time, instead of stitching the edges, outline the leaves with matching colored pencil. Add a bit of lace trim, and a stamped banner for a sentiment, and your gift set is now complete. 

Thanks so much for stopping by, and a huge thank you to Sizzix for letting me hang with you all today! I hope you'll come visit me soon on my blog A Peek Into My Scrappy World.

Audrey




We have a few more super cute sewing kit themed projects for you in our die cutting project gallery at Sizzix.com.  They would all be prefect for gifts for the sewing enthusiast on your gift list!  Find them here: Sizzix Sewing Kit Projects.
Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. Leave it to Audrey to come up with this adorable project. Her hand stitched creations are always a joy to see. Beautiful! Who wouldn't want to receive this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey always knocks my socks off! Love this amazing creation she has presented today! This lady is oozing with talent and I am so happy to see her on the Sizzix blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is a must for me to do as a couple gifts and one for myself. We all quilt and I am the only paper crafter in my group. Thank you so much for sharing. Yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Great Project!!! Love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey's project is stunning. I love the way she puts things together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me with your beautiful creations. Love this, even though I don't sew. Bet it could be a sachet too - mmm, lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I had this talent! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW!! This is Beautiful!! I LOVE the idea of this fun sewing kit and I think it would make a neat gift for a bride to have for the wedding day!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! I love how Audrey stenciled and stitched the leaves using the negative space of the die cut, beautiful! Those flowers are just dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The amount of work and details here are incredibly beautiful! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely delightful!I'm there with Kathie-not much sewing here but I'll someway to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous project, and a wonderful way to use the Sizzix dies in different ways. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous project, and a wonderful way to use the Sizzix dies in different ways. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Audrey!! You are ON today!! This project is spectacular!! Love the ideas and thanks for the great tutorial!! I love it!
    xoxo, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are precious! I love the combination of felt, fabric and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm from Italy. Did you use a Big Shot? How did you cut felt with Framelits? How is the sandwich to cut felt with framelits? I tryed to cut 1 mm felt and it didn't work... :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a TERRIFIC step-by-step of your OOOH SO CREATIVE process!!

    I have some of the same Sizzix dies you used -- am INSPIRED to try your techniques on some card fronts!!

    Thanks for sharing, Audrey ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing project by Audrey :) she is one of my blogging pals and extremley talented :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...