Monday, February 18, 2013

Cherries Recipe Box

Hi everyone! It is Hilary here with you today! I'm so excited to be sharing with you today my first "official" Eclips project tutorial.

I was beyond excited to finally own the Sizzix Eclips and the first cartridge I ordered for it, was "Vintage Baking", and when it arrived at my doorstep I was grinning from ear-to-ear! 

To be honest, I was a little overwhelmed at first, having not taken any classes, but I sat myself down and turned the power switch on and all I can say is....WOW!!! Not only does the Eclips machine bring down the house, but it is sooooo user friendly, that I was cutting and doodling in no time and the finished product is this really sweet recipe box. 

To be honest, I really didn't do anything different than what the machine told me to do, so basically, I just picked the shape, added the recommended sizes and voila, it all came together. 

In addition to the Sizzix Eclips machine you will need the "Vintage Baking" cartridge, and the pen holder and some additional items such as a felt tip pen, (I used a Zig, Millenium No 3 and found it to be the perfect size for the doodling), red-lined tacky tape, a good permanent adhesive, ric rac, 3D Glue Dots, pink buttons and floss, a hot glue gun, 1 inch wide pink grosgrain ribbon, sewing machine, Phoomph fabric bonding sheet, brads, and pretty pinks & green pattern paper, (I used these papers which I left over from an older collection from Pink Paislee), and white & pink heavyweight cardstock.

The first thing you need to do is open up the Vintage Baking cartridge, and lay your pattern paper down on the cutting mat, then insert it into your Eclips.

For my project, I used the basic plain recipe box, and after inserting the cartridge into the machine I pick the desired design from the tables of contents.

I brought up the box on the screen, then typed in the desired sizes that the machine itself told me, very easy, then I pressed the "scissors" and the Eclips cut out the shape for me.

Using a strong red-lined tape, adhere the corners and the box together.

Next, pick out the top for the recipe box and again, I just used the simple plain, recipe top, then typed in the desired measurements, and pressed the "scissors" to cut.

Adhere the corners together.

As a little side note, I wanted my box to be sturdier and reveal pattern paper when you take the top off, so I actually cut 2 of these then adhered the papers to the inside of the box after first adhering the corners. I think it gives it a really nice finish to it.

You are now going to doodle, so take the cutting blade out and replace it with the pen holder and felt tip pen. Pick out the desired recipe card, I chose the one shown, typed in my desired measurements, then under the pop-up menu, I selected "pen holder" option and the type of pen I was using. Then toggle back over to the shape and press the "scissors", the Eclips will begin drawing your design, it's really cool to watch it draw it also, Lol!

The laser dot shows the middle of your desired design and it helps with spacing.

After doodling your designs, switch from the pen holder back to the blade, making sure you switch it on your "pop-up" menu as well, then toggle back to the "shadow" image and press the "scissors". The

Eclips will now cut around your shaped design. Sooooo cool!

And for the front of my box, I chose the "Cherries" label, so utilizating the same steps as above, doodle then cut one "Cherry" label.

die cutting
For the recipe divider cards, I simply chose the design, added the desired measurements and then doodled the image and then cut around it, then adhered them to the recipe dividers.

For the handle on top of the box, I found these great fabric bonding sheets called, "Phoomph" at the local fabric store, and basically all you do is trim to the size you need, then peel off the top and the bottom, I then adhered a piece of pink grosgrain ribbon to the top and the underside, then machine stitched the edges, (it's not necessary to the stitch the ends, I just wanted to do it), then punched 2 little holes at the end of the top and adhered the "handle" using brads.

For the front label on the box, after you doodle and cut the "cherries" label, cut 2 slightly larger sizes of the "shadow" using cardstock and pattern paper, then adhere the label using 3D glue dots. I then adhered 2 pink buttons for the cherries using hot-glue. Finish by hot glueing some white ric rac to the bottom of the recipe box.

And you are finished. This box is quite large and it will fit a lot of recipe cards and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come. This was soooo much fun to make and the Eclips made it so easy to do!!

Have a great week everyone!




Are you ready to learn more about electronic die cutting with the Sizzix eclips? Check out theeclips page at Sizzix.com. You will find more information about how to get started with electronic die cutting, our library of cartridges, video tutorials, project ideas, and more!
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Hilary! I've never seen a project that shows the capabilities of the eclips so well. WOW! I am speechless. You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Hillary! Just when I had talked myself out of getting the Eclipse, I see this stunning project and now.... I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cart I WANTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was delighted to see how easy the Eclipse worked. I might just have to have it. Put it on my wish list. Love the cherry recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Question - did you have to switch to a scoring blade or did the machine just know not to cut the score lines? Thanks

    karr05 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...