Monday, January 28, 2013

Steampunk Winged Heart

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you had a fantastic weekend. With Valentine's Day being just a little over two weeks away, I thought it would be fun to create a decoration with a more masculine feel.


I was so excited at CHA to see that the Steampunk movement is still going strong. I adore the mix of metal and gears and this piece has lots of that! I had received Tim Holtz' new Layered Angel Wings die at Christmas, but didn't have a chance to use it. I love the movement it gives this piece - and it's always great to remember that your dies can have more uses than the obvious ones!


Begin by cutting a heart shape from chipboard (I made a template from a sheet of paper and traced it onto the chipboard). Emboss the heart using the Steampunk Texture Fade.


Die cut an assortment of gears from chipboard using the Gadget Gears and Mini Gears dies. Cut wings from chipboard using the Layered Angel Wings die. After die cutting, paint all chipboard pieces with metallic paint as shown. Let dry.


Cover the embossed heart with Studio 490 black embossing paste. Immediately wipe off, leaving some of the paste in the crevices. Repeat with all of the chipboard pieces. Let dry completely.


Trace the heart shape onto a piece of foam core and cut out with a craft knife. Paint the edges with silver paint.


Paint and antique a wood base and dowel in the same way you did the chipboard pieces. Adhere the embossed heart to the foam core and cover edges with copper tape. You can antique it with black paint, if desired.


Now for the fun part! Begin laying your gears out, gluing them down with 3-in-1 glue. Continue to build the layers of gears, raising some with foam tape and adding additional gears.


Adhere the wings to the back side of the heart, using Beacon's 3-in-1 glue, or other strong adhesive. Add the Idea-ology Mini Numerals, Clock Key, and Philosophy Tag as shown.


Drill a hole in the painted base. Adhere die cut gears as shown. Thread a single gear through the dowel and insert into base, securing with glue. Finally, using hot glue, adhere the heart to the dowel.

Looking at this piece, it's hard to believe it's mostly just paper and paint! That's my favorite thing about Sizzix dies - if you can imagine it, there is a die out there that can bring your idea to life. I hope you've enjoyed this project and are inspired to create art for someone you love - or for yourself!
Until next month, 
Shelly

die cutting




paint: Ranger Adirondack Dabbers - Silver, Copper, Gold, Pitch Black; Studio 490 Embossing Paste - Black
adhesives: Beacon 3-in-1; foam dots; Ranger Inkssentials Collage Glue Stick
embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Long Fasteners, Mini Fasteners, Sprocket Gears, Philosophy Tags, Mini Numerals, Clock Key, Mini Gears, Custom Fasteners
other: Copper foil tape, foam core, chipboard, wood dowel, round wood plaque, foam brush, hot glue gun, craft knife

Ready for more ideas on how you can incorporate die cutting projects into your home decor?  Sizzix.com has tons of ideas in our home decor project gallery!  You are sure to find something just right for your space!
Pin It!

31 comments:

  1. wow incredible i thought that it was metal, i loved the tecnique thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! It does look like metal. Thanks for the step by step. Loving those layered wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- great paint techniques Shelly! Thanks for showing how...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "if you can imagine it" - can you just do my imagining, please? Because you rock at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you're the last person who needs help imagining! You're a genius and an inspiration, KB. :)

      Delete
  5. Shelly, this really does rock! Love this heart and those wings! I actually have an extra metal base from one of those Distress Ink Applicator holders! You have me thinking! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops...I got so excited I had a typo!

    this is beyond amazing!!
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Shelly! I love this piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable, as is everything your talented hands create. Love this! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME!!!!! I love it!!!! I have most of the dies, except the bigz gears and that is going on the top of my list now. The wings die is so great, it is one of the best Tim's dies, it is a fav. with me, so many possibilities. Thankyou for sharing this amazing art piece and the instructions. I am a steampunk fan. Maybe I will surprise my hubby with this one.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this!! I want to make one for my DH. =) Thanks Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelly is brilliant beyond belief! Always love her creations.

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Completely AWESOME Shelly! I knew it was your work before I scrolled down far enough to see your name!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! I love all the layers, texture, and dimension. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very very nice. So inspired TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is Just GORGEOUS! TFS

    KImMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. You rock! I try antiqueing like that that and it never turns out like yours :) You make it look so easy. I need to find a base like that and try this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found the base at Hobby Lobby - just 50 cents! I think I got the package of dowels there too.

      Delete
  18. woww!!! is amazing!!!!! really really love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely LOVE this !!!! So awesome. I love steampunk and am going to have to get me that gears embossing folder & dies!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us & offering inspiration. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is way cool. Totally love what you made and looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOw Shelly! This is so cool! Love all those gears and the wings were the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fantastic, Shelly! Love the grungy look of your winged heart. The foil tape was a genius way to finish the edges!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...