Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hugs & Kisses Tag

Hello! Ronda here with a hugs & kisses tag perfect for Valentine's Day.
I used Texture Fades to create a gelatin print on the background of the tag.  I love the pop of color against the aqua.  I hope to show you another way to use these beautiful fades.

To create this tag, start by layering vintage text and vintage maps.  I like to layer them in random ways across the tag.

I used a gelatin printing plate to create the background of the tag.  First I brayered paint on the gelatin plate.  Next I smooshed the Texture Fade into the paint to remove the paint and create an impression.  Here I am using Tim Holtz's Regal Flourish Texture Fade.

You can see where the texture fade left the Regal Flourish impression.  It's such a cool way to add texture to the background.  You can use either side of the texture fade to create the impression.

Can you see the regal print in the background?  I added some more aqua paint around the edge of the tag to give it some pop.

Now for some embellishments.  I colored some watercolor paper with spray inks and acrylic paints.  Next I used Scalloped Heart 2 Framelits die to die cut multiple hearts from the watercolor paper.  I used the smallest die out of the 4 pack.  I admit I am completely addicted to Framelits.  So many nesting shapes, so many die cutting possibilities!

die cutting
Out of the same watercolor paper, I die cut the title of the tag from the Stacked Words: Valentine's Strip.  Because the title was going on the aqua tag, I knew I needed to cut the title out of area that would pop agains the background.  I absolutely adore reds and aquas together.

I knew the title was going towards the center of the tag so I decided to split three hearts on the tag, one at the top and two at the bottom.  I wanted to ground them together so I stitched wandering black lines on the background of the tag making sure I went through the center of each heart.  I also doodled lines around the edge of the tag.

I made sure the title and hearts stood out by adding inked edges.  I wanted the hearts to have some dimension so I pulled up the edges.  I finished the tag with some crinkle ribbon, twine, and a metal key tied to the top.  Now I just need to search for the perfect gift for my Valentine's!

I hope I sparked some ideas for your own Valentine's day tag!







paint: Ranger: Claudine Helmuth Studio paints
stamps: Tim Holtz Reflections CMS111; Hero Arts- Printers Type Lowercase
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Walnut Stain, Ranger Archival- Jet Black
spray inks: Maya Road
marker: Uniball Vision Roller
gelatin plate: gelli arts
tools: Ranger Non-stick Craft Sheet; scissors; sewing machine

Hugs + Kisses + Die Cutting = projects full of heart!  Visit the project gallery at Sizzix.com to see more projects that combine all three to inspire your Valentine paper crafting!
Pin It!

29 comments:

  1. This is SO gorgeous, Ronda!! Love the way you used the Texture Fade on the Gelli plate - I need to come over for a few lessons. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tag! Wow that was alot of work but it's beautiful! Love that you added the stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great technique! Love the aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Don't think I've seen one like this before and it's very unique and beautiful! I got my Sizzix for Christmas and haven't really played with it much. I'm so new to card making, just now playing with my Cricut as well. I had never heard of gelatin printing plates, brayering paint much less the smooshing! If you have any suggestions on where I could find tutorials or classes, I'd love to learn more! Did you stitch the card by hand or machine? Thanks for sharing!
    Melinda Strange
    Huntsville, TX
    csi275@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda, it is machine stitched. I do have some tutorials on my blog if you'd like to check them out.

      Delete
  5. I love this tag Ronda!!! Your color choices are so dramatic! I will have to remember to give them a try. Incidentally, a Gelli plate is high on my list of must have soon! Thanks for a great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this....big hugs!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool, and great to see less trad colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a fun tag, love the techniques... gonna go play now (I wish) ! Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronda,
    This is amazing I love the non traditional colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow!!! Love the colors, so untraditional but fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous - love the texture fade on the gelli print - starting to think the gelli thing might be worth getting into after all! Congratulations on your Blogworthy Link!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silly me, I've never heard of a gelli plate until now. Fabulous tag and techniques. Love the colors you chose. Thanks for the inspiration, and congrats on Tim's mention today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the originality, love the stitching, love the colors, love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love your colors and the hearts on your tag...I just played with a gelli plate last month and had a blast making backgrounds...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome Rhonda...so you!!! Full of color and movement and life...LOve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Rhonda, I love the combination of techniques and
    thanks for sharing how you did this! I love how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool techniques - love your tag!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic colors! <3 them! I love how bright your tag is, too! (Tim Holtz gave you a shout out on his blog, FYI) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Rhonda, Tim Holtz sent us over...Great blog! Thank you for the inspiration!...hugs...gayle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty tag! Thank you for sharing the "how to". The background is amazing as are the hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great use of the Gelli Plate and black stitching.....lovely!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...