Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Guest Blogger - Marjie Kemper


It’s my pleasure to be Guest Blogger here at Sizzix today! I have been using Sizzix dies for nearly ten years and I truly love their versatility. The Accordion Flip 3-D Album die designed by Karen Burniston is the base of my project today. Karen has a great video here on how to use this die.


I used the Frame & Label Bracket die to make the album pages, Basic Grey’s Serenade papers, and a variety of stamps and embellishments. Each page measures about 3" square, and I like treating each one as an individual project.


The paper comes in a 6X6 pad and is perfect for small projects like this. It's great to start with papers that coordinate, and then use some of your own favorite techniques to further tie the pages together. I lightly inked all the edges with Vintage Photo Distress ink, then heat set all the edges with clear embossing powder.


For the page with the cut-out word Wish, I was careful to ink those inner edges as well, really pushing my Ink Blending tool into the openings.

die cutting
Using a coordinated paper pack makes it a breeze to use any scraps for die cutting, knowing they’ll look good with your other choices. I used several Movers & Shapers dies to cut embellishments for the pages.


For sentiments, I chose some favorite stamps by Tim Holtz and Donna Downey. I like stamping to one side rather than in the center, to allow space for embellishments. I made custom embellishments for all but the Wish page. Here I paired a Sizzix heart die (blinged out with Idea-ology) with a Donna Downey stamp and a scrap of paper.


I made this flower using the smallest of the four flowers included on the Tattered Florals die, and added some handcut leaves/stem plus a gear for the center.


For a different look, I used the mini flourish, a punched circle, and one of the round tags from the Tiny Tabs & Tags die.


Following Karen’s tip in the video, I laid the album flat and adhered all the pages to the black base album.


Then I used an accordion fold and glue dots on each tab to attach my pages for the ‘flip’ aspect of the album.


The book closes flat and can be mailed in an envelope.


I created six pages, but you can make this book any length depending on your personal preference. I’m thinking a really long one is in my plans for next Christmas… it would look great on the mantle.


I'd love it if you'd come connect with me on my blog. Hope you have a creative day!

Pin It!

37 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Love how you treated each page as a separate piece. Great tip on using those 6 x6 pads for a project like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this!!! Such an Awesome Project.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is awesome, Marjie! Each panel is a little work of art. I love the sophisticated classy look of this. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely amazing project Marjie. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! Your attention to detail is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous Marjie! Love the colours and sentiments you used. Each panel is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an enabler!!! After seeing this fabulous project I had to order the dies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marjie, this project is stunning! I have this die and you've inspired me to do something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is simply exquisite. I love all the detail photos and step outs. What wonderful techniques and so clearly described. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for inspiration Marjie. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sizzix die is on my wish list. Awesome project. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many great TIPS in one little post. :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margie this is so AWESOME, I love the colors those papers are fabulous, and how you made the embellishments ... my goodness such great inspiration... I gotta do something like this !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous book, Marjie. Glad you sent me here from your blog. This look so difficult. You are the queen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marjie, your album is fabulous, love how you pulled all the elements together to make such a beautiful creation. The papers are amazing and the embellishments work so well with them. I have not seen these dies before but am going to be sure to seek them out now! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The wow factor on this one is really high. I love the embossed edges...adds just the right touch. The gear as a flower center is so whimsical and fun. I love that you treated each panel as its own individual piece of art. Like taking a stroll through a really great gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW!!! This die is exceptional as is your design!!! I need this die along with the pop ups. Amazing work Marjie...so happy to see talented you showcased here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have already purchased these and love using them. However, those sentiments are going to become MUST HAVES as soon as I can find them -- adore them all! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous album!! This die is a must have for me!I'm going to check out the album gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Marjie! I love your work. Thank you for this brilliant tutorial on an absolutely brilliant project. I love Karen's brilliant dies and have them on my wish list! You both are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning. Beautiful work. I have got to get this die! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is wonderful, beautiful work and I am going to have to try this.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't think I needed this die, Marjie....now I know I do! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  25. C'est bien beau et bien gentil seulepment ce die est en rupture depuis bien longtemps ...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this fun book. Lots of thought have gone in to this and it shows x totally amazing

    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marjie that is just absolutely gorgeous...LOVE IT! Yes Christmas, Valentines, Halloween...the list is endless. Thanx so much for sharing this and for the inspiration! :)

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This is AMAZING! I am doing a collage for my little sis and am going to use your ideas for it. I can't get over how you used so many of Tim Holz's dies1 Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm late to the party, but O Wow Marjie!! This is so completely stunning, and full of amazing ideas and techniques - I love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this project - what a great way to showcase these mini works of art! Great instructions too - thanks,

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...