Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A tisket, a tasket, a pretty little wedding basket!

Hello everyone! Tammy Tutterow here with you today!  Today I want to share with you a flower girl basket I recently made for a wedding themed display for Therm O Web at CHA.
I made this fabric basket from my own pattern (I used to make these to sell on Etsy) and embellished it with die cut flowers using the Eileen Hull Flower Layers Heart Petals die from her new From the Heart collection.  

die cutting
I die cut the flowers from the same silk dupioni fabric that I made the basket from.  I wanted the petals to be fairly stiff when assembled so I added lightweight fusible interfacing to the back of the fabric before die cutting it.

After die cutting, I stacked two of each of the three sizes of flowers from the die and pierced a hole through the center of the stack.  I placed a wired bunch of stamens through the hole in the centers of the flowers.  (I shared step-by-step photos of the same assembly process in this tutorial on my blog: http://tammytutterow.com/2012/07/heart-box-with-crinoline-flowers/).

 I love how the stamens add a punch of color to the white flowers.

Ribbon leaves made from green ombre and satin ribbons add another bit of color.  I added floral wire to the stamen bunches and wrapped them with green floral tape.  I wrapped the extra length of wire around a dowel rod to create a curly-q effect.

You could easily embellish a purchased flower basket simply and quickly by adding clusters of die cut flowers like I did on this basket.  The same flowers could be added to other elements of the wedding ensemble like the ring pillow, sashes on dresses, pew bows and more.  With one die you could easily create a custom and unique wedding theme.



fabric: silk dupioni
misc: flower stamens, floral wire, floral tape

Do you have a wedding in your future?  We have tons of die cutting project ideas for you that can help you make your wedding truly one of a kind!  Check out our wedding project gallery on Sizzix.com for more great ideas!
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful. After the wedding it could be used for floral arrangements in the home of the flower girl. This would look beautiful in a tablesetting with a container inside and flowers. I'm wishing for spring!
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful basket! And those flowers would be lovely on lots of projects.
    I also wanted to let you know that I have a tutorial today for a valentine pillow using the hearts die at www. Monpetitlyons.blogspot.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing a link to your blog. The heart pillow was great!

      Delete
  3. I was going to leave this comment that using WAshi or Tissue Tape instead of ugly green florist tape would look so much better on your stems. Then I clicked the link you left for the Crinoline flowers and low and behold…You used Tissue Tape. Great Minds?!?! Pretty flowers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so precious - perfect for a flower girl awwwww! love what you did with that die - monochromatic really allows the beautiful shapes and textures to shine. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty Tammy. You rocked that flower my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling! And the flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow really beautiful Tammy, execution brilliantly done...

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...