Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pop-up 2Torial: Doublewide Pop 'n Cuts

Hello! Karen here with another video Pop-up 2Torial.

Have your Pop 'n Cuts been looking a little skinny? Well I've got just the technique for you! Simply fold your paper before die cutting the pop-up to create doublewide pop-ups!

I was perusing Pinterest one day and saw a beautiful Christmas mantle display that featured the word "NOEL" spelled out with large blocky letters for N, E and L, and a wreath for the O. It struck me that this idea would also make a charming card front! I intended to draft up 3D letters and cut them on the eclips, but then I saw Shelly Hickox's ingenious 3D die technique and figured I could use chipboard letters, stacked and shellacked, instead.

The card I'm making in the video is this one:

.

On the front of the card, I used two Ornate Plates, die cut from shrink plastic, inked stamped, linked together using the leaves (watch the video to see me do this) and then shrunk in the oven. I finished it off with a layer of Glossy Accents and a lace bow.



The other three letters are made using a variation of Shelly's stack-and-shellac technique. Instead of covering the letters with paper, I just painted the stack white and then added a thick coat of Sparkle Mod Podge. I happened to find these letters in my stash, but my plan otherwise was to cut my own chipboard letters using the Tim Holtz Word Play die.



Inside the card is the doublewide Pop 'n Cuts Label Die, using the folding technique shown in the video. I fussy-cut a section of patterned paper for the bottom half of the card and used the Bigz Fancy Frame and the ribbon from the Label & Ribbon Movers & Shapers set to decorate the pop-up.



I die cut two Framelits trees from grasscloth and then covered them with Sparkle Mod Podge and topped them with metal star charms from my stash. As I look at the following picture I am struck by how much I wish I would have added white snow to each tree, but, just like how I didn't notice and fix the crooked ribbon above, those little "woulda-coulda-shouldas" can be used on a future card. Onward, I say!



Now I know what you're already thinking. You're thinking "does this folding technique work on the stand-up Pop 'n Cuts inserts?" But of course! Here is how it looks with the Ribbon Tree Pop 'n Cuts insert. Just remember that the fold technique will mean you have mirror-image items joined together. When you use the companion Sizzlits sets (I used the Noel Sizzlits set on the card below) to decorate your doublewide Pop 'n Cuts creations, you'll need to die cut one with the paper face-up on the Sizzlits and one with the paper face-down on the die.









So how about it? Ready to fold and double your Pop 'n Cuts?

Happy Holidays!

Karen

die cutting supplies

InLinkz.com
Doublewide Noel Card - Other Supplies:
pattern paper- My Mind's Eye
cardstock- Bazzill
grasscloth- Creative Imaginations
stamps: Lawn Fawn- Merry Christmas; Hero Arts- Woodgrain; A Stamp in the Hand- Script
mediums: Mod Podge- Sparkle
alcohol inks & blenders: Ranger
misc.: lace, shrink plastic, chipboard letters

Doublewide Ribbon Tree Card - Other Supplies:
pattern paper: SEI
cardstock: Bazzill
surfaces: Creative Imaginations- Real wood
embellishments: Creative Impressions- Snowflakes; Elizabeth Craft Designs- Tiny glitter stickers
mists: Luminarte
stamps: Hero Arts- Greeting
tools: Tonic- Edge distressing tool
misc.: inks

Looking for more ideas to make your die cutting pop? Check out our Pop 'n Cuts gallery at Sizzix.com for more great ideas!
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea from the most brilliant mind in all of the scrapbook world! I love your cards!! Can't wait to try the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double the fun! Love the shrink plastic plate- this is so cool. Lots of great tips in this video! Thanks Karen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!Karen's creativity never ceases to amaze me. Pop-n-cuts are so much more versatile that I could have imagined! Loved both cards and am definitely trying this technique. Hope to see lots more from Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea Karen! Very clever, I can't wait to try it out. And I love the shrink plastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen your mind amazes me!! I love this!! I need the tree and I am stamping my feet we cant get it here yet :(
    WOW WOW WOW and I want to make a double one right now.

    Cazx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Are just Amazing Karen!! I Can't Wait to try this Technique...So Fun and Creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen is so amazing. I love her ideas and technics, every time I see one of her tutorials, I want to try it, this one is too late for Christmas 2012.
    But it will be fun for Valentines 2013 for sure.
    Thanks Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! I like your idea of a doublewide Valentines Day card - you could even use the shrunken plate, in reds and pinks, for the "O" in LOVE!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...