What I love about this project is that it can be enjoyed as a book, but when open, can stand on its own and act as a decorative element. I will also tell you that you can get just a little caught up in decorating this type of book (I used over 20 dies. A record for sure!). The Pop 'n Cuts platform add so much dimension - it truly makes your dies come to life.
here to create an over-sized card. To make it easier to keep everything aligned, I made a tick mark on either side of my Base Tray that lines up with the center score mark on the die. I also marked the center of my paper. If you keep these marks lined up, your card should be nice and straight. Repeat with four more pieces of paper.
die cutting, fold according to instructions and trim ends so that your piece measures 5 1/2" tall and 5" wide when closed. Repeat with other die cut pieces.
Now we can start decorating our panels! The most important thing to remember in this step is that you need to make sure that anything you mount on the pop-up will not hang over the edge when the page is closed. You can use temporary adhesive to check placement before adhering your elements permanently.
- Die cut one pine tree and two reindeer from chipboard. Ink edges with Pumice Stone.
- Die cut one pine tree from green Kraft Core'dinations. Tear off trunk portion and adhere to top portion of chipboard tree. Apply Snow-Tex to edges and adhere to left side of card.
- Attach standing reindeer to front of tree using pop dots. Attach leaping reindeer to pop-up area, using pop dots.
- Die cut a wreath from green Kraft Core'dinations using the Opening Door and Wreath die. Die cut a small bow from red Kraft Core'dinations using the Mini Bunny and Bow set. Attach the bow to the wreath and place around reindeer's neck.
- Using Tattered Poinsettia die, die cut red Kraft Core'dinations. Die cut one Mini Poinsettia from the same paper. Using the medium and small flower from the Tattered Poinsettia die, and the Mini Poinsettia, stack and adhere, using foam squares.
- Die cut two leaves from green Kraft Core using the Tattered Poinsettia die and adhere as shown.
- Bunch up a piece of silver Tinsel Twine and glue to center of flower.
- Die cut a banner from white cardstock using the Tattered Banner die. Attach Chit Chat stickers and adhere to Memo Pin. Apply a dab of adhesive to the bottom of pin and glue behind flower.
- Cut two strips of decorative paper and adhere to top of panel.
- Die cut lamppost from chipboard using the Holiday Lamppost die. Paint with a silver Dabber and then brush with black Stazon ink. Cut a small piece of plastic from discarded packaging and adhere behind lamp. Adhere lamppost to right side of card, as shown. Die cut holly leaves and berries from Kraft Core'dinations, using the lamppost die. Attach to lamppost.
- Die cut Old Jalopy from black Kraft Core'dinations and chipboard. Sand lightly, assemble and adhere to pop-out, creasing back edge to fit the fold.
- Die cut the mini pine tree from green Kraft Core'dinations. Sand edges and tie to jalopy using Paper Twine.
- Die cut wreath from green Kraft Core'dinations. Sand edges and adhere to front of jalopy. Die cut a bow from red Kraft Core'dinations using the Mini Bow die and glue to top of wreath.
- Die cut the edge of decorative paper panel using the Brackets On the Edge die and adhere to the left side of the card. Die cut a ticket from coordinating paper using the Mini Ticket die. Punch holes in the top and bottom and tie with white Paper String. Adhere word stickers to ticket.
- Die cut two trees from chipboard and two from green Kraft Core'dinations using the Pine Tree die. Tear off the trunk on the green trees and adhere to the chipboard trees. Sand edges and apply Snow-Tex.
- Repeat the process using the Mini Pine Tree die. Adhere all trees to the card as shown.
- Die cut a deer from chipboard using the Mini Reinder die. Tie a length of Striped Paper Twine around its neck and adhere to tree.
- Die cut four banners from red Kraft Core'dinations using Karen Burniston's Flagpole with Lantern and Sign strip die. Die cut letters to spell Noel from white cardstock using Alphabetical strip die. Adhere letters to banners and attach to a length of Paper String. Staple to card using Tiny Attacher.
- Adhere a strip of decorative paper and a coordinating sticker on the left panel. Embellish with Christmas Muse Token.
- Die cut cardinal and branches once from chipboard, red Kraft Core'dinations, and green Kraft Core'dinations using the Christmas Cardinal die. Trim the legs from the red piece and adhere the body to the chipboard bird die cut.
- Clip the feet from the branch and reverse the branch (it faces the other direction and won't fit unless you turn it around). Adhere green branches over the chipboard to give a two-tone effect. Add shading around eye area and adhere a gold Kraft Core'dinations beak.
- Adhere the branches to the pop-up area using pop dots. Perch cardinal on branch and attach to pop-up area using pop dots. Apply Snow-Tex.
- Adhere sticker border along bottom edge. Apply chipboard sticker to top right panel.
- Die cut snowflakes from Mirrored sheet using Mini Snowflakes dies. Remove backing and adhere randomly on card.
- Die cut one house from red Kraft Coredinations, one from kraft cardstock, and one from white mat board using the Rickety House die. Trim the roof portion from the kraft house and emboss with the Stripes Texture Fade. Adhere to the top of the red house.
- Create window frames by trimming around the mat board house windows. Adhere to the red house. Cut panels to simulate window glass from plastic packaging and adhere behind windows. Attach house to pop-up panel.
- Die cut fence from chipboard using On the Fence die. Paint with Distress Crackle paint. When dry, adhere to front of house with pop dots. Decorate with silver Tinsel Twine.
- Die cut a wreath from green Kraft Core'dinations using Opening Door and Wreath die. Die cut a bow from red Kraft Core'dinations using the Mini Bow die. Adhere bow to wreath and attach wreath to house.
- Die cut tree from green Kraft Core'dinations and attach to right panel.
- Apply a chipboard sticker to the left side of the card. Die cut decorative paper using the Vintage Lace die and adhere above and below sticker.
- Add a layer of Snow-Tex to various elements as desired.
I hope you enjoyed my project. It is truly a labor of love that will give you a keepsake to treasure or to share with someone very special. Even if you don't have time to create an entire book, you can choose one 'scene' and make a unique card!
See you next month,
pattern paper: My Mind's Eye- All is Bright
surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mirrored Sheets; chipboard
cardstock: red, white, kraft
stamps: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous; Artistic Outpost
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Pumice Stone; Stazon - black
paint: Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint - Picket Fence
glitter: Tim Holtz Rock Candy Dry Glitter; Martha Stewart Silver Glitter
embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology- Christmas Muse Tokens, Tinsel Twine, Striped and Solid Paper Twine, Crinkle Ribbon, Seasonal Chit Chat Stickers, Memo Pin
adhesive: Beacon 3-in-1 glue, Zip Dry; Scotch Tape Glider; Glue Dots; Ranger Glue 'n Seal
tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip, Tiny Attacher
other: DecoArt Snow-Tex; plastic packaging