Monday, December 10, 2012

Holiday Wreath Card

Hi Everyone, Jan Hobbins here with a Christmas card to share with you. I hope I'm not the only one who still hasn't finished making Christmas cards. I have good intentions of starting early, but it never happens!

Last week, our city held their annual Tree Festival, which features hundreds of donated decorated trees that are auctioned off and the proceeds go to the city's hospital. I have been going to this every year, since my children were little and I still look forward to it. There was one little tree this year that inspired me, it wasn't decorated a lot, but it was a beautiful turquoise color. I decided to use that color for today's card.


Lately, I can't seem to complete a card without adding a little something inside!  I'm hooked on Karen Burniston's Pop N' Cuts!

My card was created using different shades of turquoise and white cardstock.

die cutting
To start off, I die cut my wreath base using Sizzix's Tim Holtz Holiday Wreath Bigz die. Using the Tim Holtz Festive Greenery Decorative Strip die, I die cut out the strip using different shades of turquoise cardstock. The holly leaves from the die were used on the wreath for extra dimension. You could also die cut the wreath in different shades of cardstock and cut out the pop up leaves. The bow from the Holiday Wreath die was die cut from white cardstock.

I set aside the other greenery pieces for the card inside. These will be embossed and glittered in the same way as the holly leaves. There's more than enough for the inside, so I just save all these pieces in a plastic bag for future projects.

With Ranger's Picket Fence distress stain, I stained the edges on random parts of the wreath and the holly leaves.


To give the cardstock that frosty, glittery look, I first applied clear embossing ink with Ranger's Embossing Dabber to the edges of the leaves and wreath. Next I used Sticky Embossing Powder to the inked die cuts, heat set them, and dipped them in Rock Candy Dry Glitter. Do the same process for the bow. I slightly molded the leaves and bow to give them extra dimension.

Using glue dots, (they seem to stick better on the glitter) I adhered the leaves to the wreath. I added a touch of Ranger's Picket Fence Stain to some of the edges of the leaves. When it's applied on top of the glitter, it almost looks like a touch of snow.

I took a 4 1/4" x 5 3/4" piece of white cardstock and embossed it with Sizzix's Basic Grey Nordic Sweater Textured Impressions folder and the Sizzix Tim Holtz Embossing Diffuser. These diffusers are used in place of a clear acrylic standard cutting pad. Some are the inset shape and others are the negative part of the shape such as this one I used, which is the circle template. Cut out a piece of colored cardstock slightly larger than your embossed rectangle(about 1/8" on all sides) and adhere this behind the embossed paper. My white card base is approximately 5 1/4" x 6 1/2". Center and adhere the matted embossed card to the base.

I adhered the wreath to the card over the diffused circle.  I adhered the bow to the top of the wreath. To finish it off, I added a few clear crystals in the center of the bow.



If you are adding in the Karen Burniston Pop 'N Cuts to the inside of your card, die cut your base with the 3D Label insert inside, using colored cardstock. After die cutting, I trimmed the width to fit inside my white card base. Next I die cut a different shade of cardstock slightly larger than the Pop 'N Cuts one as a mat. Round the corners with a corner rounder punch.

I die cut the "Joy to the World" using the Sizzix Tim Holtz Stacked Christmas Words decorative strip die in white and colored cardstock. Glue the two together, with the color piece slightly off, so it shows as a shadow.

Before assembling the inside, I applied Ranger Embossing Dabber and applied along the edges of the 3D Label insert, finishing off with Sticky Embossing Powder and Rock Candy Dry Glitter.

Pop dot the words onto the base, not quite centered. Add your glittered greenery to the right of your sentiment.  Adhere an assortment of glittered greenery die cuts to the card base.

Hope you enjoyed my Christmas card! I think different color schemes would be great, maybe I'll try different shades of pink next!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Jan

die cutting supplies


cardstock: white, light turquoise, dark turquoise
stains: Tim Holtz Distress Stain- Picket Fence
glitter: Tim Holtz Distress Stickles Dry- Clear Rock Candy
embossing: Ranger Ink- Emboss It Dabber, Sticky Embossing Powder
tools: corner rounder
adhesive: glue dots

Do you love combining die cutting with card making?  The Sizzix.com project gallery features over 1,000 card making ideas that are sure to inspire!
Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Your card is absolutely gorgeous--thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is gorgeous Jan! I love the colours and the glitter. The wreath is wonderful and then the fabulous pop-up on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I like the modern color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card, Jan!! I love the way you used the Diffuser with the wreath. Beautiful colors too! Oh, and the Pop 'n Cuts looks amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Love the wreath. Is the bow premade? Looks like felt. Love the colors and the glitter and the pnc! Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! This card is soooo beautiful! I love the colours you used, non-traditional. I need those dies, the diffusers, embossing folders, hey santa are you listening!!!! I am hoping for the pop n cuts base die for christmas, it's at the top of my list.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Jan, love the color against the white. I am amazed at how "fluffy" you made the wreath look. Great effect.
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have got to get me one of these pop-up card dies.They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this card and I am so glad I still have cards to make because I am going to CASE this one! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Jan, this is gorgeous! The diffuser to leave the center of the wreath open - brilliant!!! Love the way you styled the Pop 'n Cut too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous card - the pop and cuts certainly add that bit of extra something

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, what a beautiful card. I love the crisp white with the shades of turquoise. Very nice! Now I am gonna have to go order that wreath die.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this card and your cluster of wintery elements! - vivian

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is soooo amaazing! The colors are beautiful and the wreath is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow....just wonderful. I love the pop up on the inside!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...