Thursday, December 27, 2012

From the Heart Crinoline Flowers

Today I want to share with you a project that I shared on my blog earlier this year featuring dies from the new Eileen Hull From the Heart collection.  When I originally shared this project, it was right after the collection debuted at CHA Summer.  I couldn't help myself to use them and blog about them even though they wouldn't be shipping until January!  I simply loved this collection by Eileen so much that I couldn't wait to use it!  Now that it is finally time for it to ship, I wanted to share the tutorial again to help give you some ideas of what you can create with From the Heart

In addition to showing you two of the new dies, I wanted to include a few tips for working with Eileen's Scoreboard dies and Sizzix Mat Board

When possible, I prefer to cut my mat board and paper as one piece.  To do that, I use Therm O Web's iCraft Adhesive which is a thin sheet adhesive.  The thin adhesive film is sandwiched between two removable backing sheets.  I begin by removing one backing sheet and applying it to my mat board which I have cut to fit my selected die. 

With the adhesive adhered to the mat board, remove the second backing sheet and place the mat board adhesive side down onto the backside of the patterned paper.  Use a craft knife to cut around the edge of the mat board to remove the excess paper.  

After trimming, your mat board will be plain on one side and have patterned paper on the other.  I find it is always best to make a test cut over a section of the die that has score lines using a scrap piece of mat board.  I like to do this so that I know which way the score lines fold.  In the case of this die, they cut so that the side of the mat board that is touching the surface of the die would be the outside of the finished project.  Because of that, for this box, I placed my piece of mat board patterned paper side down onto the die to cut it.

I wanted to capture a specific part of the design of the patterned paper for my lid.  To do that, I applied the adhesive film to the mat board, left the second backing sheet in place and then die cut the lid.  I used the scrap mat board as a template and laid it on my pattern paper, adjusting it until the image was framed the way I wanted it.  I used a pencil to trace the heart shape and then cut the paper for the lid out with scissors.  I removed the second adhesive backing sheet from the die cut lid and placed the paper onto it, lining up the edges.  (Be sure to see the glue stick tip below for making this step super easy.) 
   
After die cutting all of the pieces, apply ink to the edges using an ink applicator tool.

The tabs will be what are used to assemble the pieces to one another.  I like to use SuperTape (red line tape) because of its strength.  Rather than trying to apply tape to each individual section, I apply one long strip along the section of tabs.

Flip the piece over and cut away the tape from the open sections using a craft knife.

Because SuperTape is strong and has a quick bond, it is helpful to apply glue stick over the sticky surface of the tape after removing the red liner.  Using a glue stick gives you a little more work time to adjust the placement of the tabs but does not affect the strong bond of the tape.  This also works for sheet adhesives like the iCraft sheets mentioned above.

Because many of Eileen's dies require assembly, each package insert includes step-by-step photographed instructions.  If you ever misplace yours, they are also available on the Sizzix website at http://www.sizzix.com/instructions.

To embellish my box, I decided to add crinoline flowers cut using the Flower Layers with Heart Petals die.  This flower die, as well as Eileen's other flower dies are great for cutting from fabric.  I cut mine using crinoline that I dyed using the Ranger Ink Dylusions Spray Ink in Pure Sunshine.  (If you have followed my blog for a while, you know what a fan of crinoline I am for die cutting.  If you are confused about what crinoline is, I have a handy blog post to help you: http://tammytutterow.com/2012/01/crinoline-help-and-facts/.)
   
After drying the flowers with a heat tool, I stamped over them with my ink blending tool using any residual ink on the foam.  I didn't want to re-ink the tool because I wanted only soft hints of the brown.

This die has three sizes of flowers on it.  I added two of each size and fed them onto a bunch of vintage flower stamens that had a wired stem attached.  (I bought my stamens on Etsy and they look like the ones shown here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/89041122/vintage-floral-pips-peps-glossy-pink).

After feeding the flowers onto the wire stem, I decided to re-wrap the stem using Tim Holtz Tissue Tape.  You could also use floral tape.  After wrapping the stems, I applied green Distress Ink with ink blending tool over the tape.

The finished flower turned out so lovely!  I absolutely love the way I can die cut crinoline and other fabrics to make such gorgeous embellishments for my projects.  With a die, crinoline, and inks I can make a flower to match any project instead of having bins and bins of pre-colored flowers sitting in my studio!  If you are like me, those bins of pre-made flowers are never the one color I need for a project!

To finish my project, I simply tied to flowers together using Tim Holtz Crinkle ribbon that I colored with Distress Ink.  I adhered the two flowers to my box lid using Helmar 450QD liquid glue to keep them firmly in place.

This box is so fun and easy to assemble and is perfect for gift giving or keeping precious keepsakes in.  

Be sure to look for the Heart Box and Heart Petals flower die in January 2013!  Until then, check out Eileen's other dies for more great packages and flowers.


die cutting supplies

InLinkz.com

Want to see more die cutting project inspiration From The Heart?  Check out the From the Heart Project Gallery at Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That is gorgeous!!! I too love to work with crinoline! Love your flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's stunning but i couldn't do it, got lost about step 2. Still read to end though. You must be very good at doing this kind of creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Dynamic duo. Tammy and Eileen! Love the flowers and that box! WOW! I bought the crinoline Tammy in order to try the flowers. But that box is perfect for any day gifts from the heart! Thanks so much. You gals are doing a fab job introducing us how to wonderful sizzix dies and inspiring the creative spirit in all of us! BTW, I figured out how to post a comment. (Have to sign out of google before pressing "publish" button. Hey, whatever works!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your clear instructions. I love your tip about using s stick glue on red line!!! I am not familiar with Sizzix's mat board but I am about to search until I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy - great tip on lining up your patterned paper to fit perfectly on you die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fabulous project...and those flowers! ooh-la-la!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...