Thursday, November 15, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Framelit Woodland Christmas Trees

Hi everyone!! Oh I love, love, love this time of year!  Living in Florida, I don't get to experience the joys of the change of seasons, or the first snowfall or the dip in temperatures, but that doesn't mean that I can't experience snow topped Christmas trees....I just have to create them on my own.  When I saw the Framelits Christmas Trees from Sizzix, I simply "had" to have them!  I knew exactly what I wanted to make with them, and oh the possibilities are endless because now I have so many other ideas for them, I think they'll be my "go to" die of the season!  I hope you enjoy my woodland snow-topped Christmas trees as much as I enjoyed making them and I'll show you just how I created them, below.

Here are some close ups of the details...

Okay would you like to make these?  Here's what I used:

From Sizzix you'll need the Framelits Christmas Trees and either a Big Shot, Vagabond or Big Shot Pro die cutting machine.

Other supplies:  Two different shades of neutral heavyweight cardstock, Vintage Photo distressing ink, eyelet trim, wooden spools, white acrylic paint, SnowTex, Snow glitter from Martha Stewart, rusty bells in different sizes, a small cinnamon stick, a scoring tool, sponge brushes, permanent adhesive tape, spray adhesive and hot glue.  

Let's get started....

die cutting
Using your Framelits Christmas Tree dies, die cut between 16-20 trees for each finished tree. 

You should have stacks of different sizes when your finished.

After die cutting, score each tree right down the middle and fold in half.

Using a good strong permanent adhesive, line one side of the tree with adhesive.

Then lay a another tree on top, making sure your scored centers are lined up.  Then adhere another tree, alternating colors until you have all 16 or so on top of each other.

When your finished, it should look like this.

Then you are going to use hot glue to join the two ends together, (I also ran a bead of hot glue down the center, to ensure all the layers stay together).  Lightly distress the edges if you'd like with Vintage Photo distressing ink.  

Now you're ready for some final touches, dip the tops of the trees into Snowtex and let dry.  Then lightly spray trees with adhesive and sprinkle on "Snow" glitter, shaking off the excess.  Adhere a rusty bell to the top of the trees using hot glue.  

Here's a close up of the smallest tree.  You can easily see the "Snow" and glitter, and since this one was so small, I adhered it to a small cinnamon stick to give it a little height.

For the bases of all the trees, I simply painted a wooden spool with white acrylic paint then adhered a piece of eyelet trim around the top of the spool using hot glue.  For the bigger trees, you can simply hot glue the trees right to the spools.  For my smaller one, I put hot glue in the inside of the spool and inserted the cinnamon stick.  

And voila!!  That's it!  These were so much fun to make, and they were so easy to do.  I can see these displayed everywhere in my home this season.  

I hope you enjoyed these and I hope I've inspired you to create your own snow-topped, Woodland Christmas trees. 

hilary kantischer


InLinkz.com
paper: heavyweight cardstock- two different neutral colors
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Vintage Photo
glitter: SnowTex; Martha Steward Snow Glitter
paint: acrylic paint- white
embellishments: eyelet trim; wooden spools; rusty bells in different sizes; cinnamon sticks
tools: foam brush; scoring tool
adhesive: permanent adhesive runner; spray adhesive; hot glue

Need more Christmas decor ideas?  Sizzix.com has tons of ideas for ways to create unique holiday home decor with die cutting.  Check out our Christmas Decor gallery on Sizzix.com for more great ideas!
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. These are fab decorations - it has given me some ideas for my own framelit dies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, these trees are adorable! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these trees, Hilary!! Yet another die I need. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet details--esp. the spool trunks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have thought of using a cinnamon stick, I bet the smell lovely too. Gorgeous trees, thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Great Project...Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These trees are amazing, now I need that die!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, i'm sure it's me, but do you attach the trees unfolded (after scoring) and directly on top of each other, or apply adhesive and keep them folded. am i making any sense?!
    hope someone reads this and can help.
    thanks!
    signed
    "dim" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep them folded, and stack one on top of the other with the scored edges together....when your finished it should look like a stack of "half" trees!! I hope this helps!! ;)

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...