Friday, November 30, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Spring Loaded Double-Fold Pop-up Card

Hi! Karen Burniston here with another Pop-up 2Torial!

This video shows two techniques you might try with pop-up cards. The first is to make a spring-loaded card that opens automatically as soon as the closure is released. The second technique is how to split and move the card folds to allow for two pop-ups inside the card!

The card I make in the video is for my friend and Design Team member Gretchen's birthday earlier this week. Happy Birthday, Gretchen!




I kept the front of the card very simple, with just a square of patterned paper and the closure. The closure itself is explained in the video. The decorative clip is self-adhesive, but I found that the bead closure was pulling the clip off the paper so I shellacked it with Glossy Accents and let it dry overnight. Much better!


Inside the card are two Raising Platforms that pop up in opposite directions. Gretchen's favorite color is green and her favorite crafting color is (pun intended) kraft, so I incorporated both into this card. To decorate the platforms I went diving into my stamp collection for birthday stamps. The fistful of candles is one of my all-time favorite Stamp Oasis stamps, but it is sadly retired.


I had already installed the Raising Platforms in the card before deciding on the "candles" greeting so I didn't want to risk pulling the label off the platform to stamp it. Instead, I stamped the greeting on a transparency and added it with glue that dried relatively clear. The edges of the labels are glittered for some extra sparkle.


I used colored pencils to color everything. The mottling on the balloons is made by layering and blending several layers of colored pencils and then hitting them with an eraser. It takes off some of the layers of pencil and leaves behind an interesting texture.

In keeping with the hand theme, I used a Stampin' Up! hand stamp on the stem of the second platform so it could be holding the balloon strings.

Hopefully these ideas will inspire your own spring-loaded double-pop-up creations! (say that 5 times fast!)

Thanks for watching,

Karen

die cutting supplies

Extension springs - Ace Hardware
Patterned Paper - Basic Grey "Out of Print"
Rubber stamps - Lawn Fawn (Happy Birthday), Stampin' Up! (Wish Big, Candles greeting), Stubby Stampers (balloon), Stamp Oasis (fistful of candles)
Cardstocks - Bazzill
Baker's Twine - The Twinery
Glossy Accents - Ranger
Metal clip  - 7Gypsies
Tiny Attacher - Tim Holtz/Advantus
Stash items (source unknown) - Beads, elastic, eyelets, inks, glitter, transparency
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Jot this down: March 15th. That should give you lots of time!

    I am once again totally amazed by your creativity and talent. Such a cool idea! Lucky Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Not much more I can say. This is amazing! I'm sure Gretchen was blown away and thankful to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! You never cease to AMAZE and Inspire Me Karen....you are such a Creative Genius!! Can't wait to Try this.....LOVE LOVE the Card you made for Sweet Gretchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw, this is amazing Karen! Love the double-fold with the raising platforms and the banner connecting them is such a great idea. Love the textured balloons too, and all the great details. Lucky Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen

    Do you ever sleep? This card is just

    OVER THE TOP !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I wish I could be in your WINTER CHA class but I didn't get in the lottery :( I love this die and the tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...