Monday, November 19, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Spread your Wings Canvas

Hello!  It's me Ronda here today to share with you a canvas using Texture Fades, Textured Impressions embossing folders, and Tim Holtz Layered Angel Wings.  This 5 x 7 board canvas was made using plaster spackling which creates a cool texture.

My first layer on this canvas is the plaster spackling.  I use a metal palette knife as this thick paste will make plastic knives bend.  So you need a strong tool to spread this paste around.  I scraped over and over leaving some areas blank to add to the texture of the canvas.

I pushed the Tim Holtz Texture Bubble Texture Trade into the top of the canvas to add texture.  Gentlly lay it on the spackling without pushing too hard.  I also used the Dots Textured Impressions on the bottom of the canvas for even more texture.  Make sure you clean these up right away with water.

This particular brand of plaster changes colors from pink to white as it drys.  I love it because it is so easy to tell when it is completely dry.

Once the piece is completely dry, use some sandpaper to knock down some of the peaks from lifting up the textured fades and impressions.  You can also add a few scratches in there too to give it even more texture.

Here's the fun part for me, laying in color.  This time I am using acrylic paints and spray inks.  I start with some under painting and then add in more and more layers until I feel the piece is finished.

Once I complete the background, I distress it a bit with sand paper.  I love how the white really comes through the paint with just a few swipes.  Again you can add some scratches in the paint.

After I complete the background, I paint a layer of matte medium to set the paint.  Next I painted a silhouette figure in black.

die cutting
After die cutting some layered angel wings out of grunge board and I painted them white, beige, and hints of yellow and dark brown.  I LOVE those wings.  So many possibilities.  I only used the two smallest wings, saving the largest set for another project.  I stacked them on top of each other and glued them to the silhouette shape.

I love the cool colors and texture of this piece.  It's as if she is staring out on the universe.  I can also see altering this canvas to making it a holiday piece.  You could easily add something like "Peace on Earth" to the top of the canvas changing it a Holiday decor canvas.



die cutting supplies




paper: Tim Holtz Grunge Board
spray ink: Maya Mist Charcoal
paint: claudine Hellmuth Studio Paints, Golden Fluid Acrylics
tools: palette knife, paint brushes, Nonstick Mat
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. That reAlly drew me in..absolutely stunning.thank you for sharing steps that are easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a ovely piece!!!! love it!!!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixed media at its best! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...