Sunday, November 11, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Christmas Ornament


die cutting
Hi friends! I have been racking my brain for some new ideas and creative ways to use our eclips designs. I saw something like this at an upscale store for $18.00 and thought I would see if this would translate well (and for less). Happy to say, I was thrilled with the results! Of course, like I always say, “This is so easy”, but really it is!

I bought a plastic ornament, but you could purchase a glass one IF you have a glass cutter. I sliced the bottom of the ornament using a sharp knife, but I’m sure a craft knife would work better. Slice enough off of the bottom that the remaining part is not quite 3 inches in diameter. Poke a hole through the top of the ornament and tie a ribbon through it.

Using the eclips machine with the Albums, Bags and Boxes #2 cartridge, cut out the birdhouse from cardstock.  I cut mine at 6 inches. Cut additional houses out of other colors if you would like to have different elements of your house to have different colors.  I cut mine all out of white. Cut little strips to form the “window panes” and adhere to house. Assemble house, spray with glue and sprinkle with glitter.

Cut a 3 inch circle from silver paper on the eclips machine using the PIP feature. After die cutting the circle, adhere the assembled house to it with hot glue.

Lightly mist a small bottle brush tree (I used Tim Holtz’s Ideology Findings) spray glue.  Sprinkle the tree with glitter. Adhere the tree to circle base next to the house.

Adhere the circle base to the bottom of the ornament using hot glue. If your ornament cut isn’t perfect, just try your best to glue the whole circle onto the base anyway. Adhere a silver pipe cleaner to the edge which will hide where the ornament and base meet as well as any imperfections. (Two pipe cleaners may be needed.)

At the top of the ornament, add leaves, miniature flowers and silver pipe cleaners to embellish the ribbon hanging loop.

I want to give a big shout out to Jen Phillipsen for the fantastic birdhouse design. She is one of our talented in house artists. She makes my job easy and fun! Thanks Jen!

Debi

die cutting supplies

InLinkz.com
ornament: glass or plastic ornament
paper: plain cardstock- color of choice; silver cardstock
embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Woodlands- small tree; silver pipe cleaners; glitter; ribbon; small flowers and leaves
tools: craft knife or glass cuter
adhesive: hot glue; spray glue

Interested in more ways to create Christmas Ornaments featuring Sizzix die cutting equipment?  Check out the Christmas Ornament gallery at Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Such an honor coming from you, my VERY talented friend! Can't wait to actually meet you in January! Debi

      Delete
  2. Debi- this is so cute- love the silver pipe cleaners...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...thanks Eileen. The artroom thinks I'm pushing it just a bit when I use them but they just come in so handy :)

      Delete
  3. oh thats to funny, I just made something like this but using a salt shaker. Unfortunatly the Sizzix die was to big for the tiny hole so I had to make my own pattern. but it worked out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a thought but what about using a beautiful wine glass from a thrift store instead of cutting a glass ornament

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the silver pipe cleaners .... use Tim Holtz's silver tinsel twine.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...