Friday, November 23, 2012

Die Cutting Fabric: Rose Dream Fall Themed Table Runner

Rose Dream - My New Favorite Die!

Hi Everybody!

I'm back with a new project for you, using the just-released Rose Dream die (Sizzix Bigz Pro Die #658122).  I knew two things as soon as I saw this die during my recent trip to Quilt Market in Houston: one,  that I had to have it; and two, that you all would appreciate a tutorial on how to assemble the blocks on this die so you can use it right away instead of cowering in fear at all the curves.  I want to make sure you learn about all the great interchangeable pieces on this die, so I came up with this jazzy fall runner to showcase them all:

runnerfinished
Aren't these great fabrics?

As soon as I bring a die into my house, I pounce on it with a silver marker.  I mark the die with registration lines as well as cut sizes of fabric, so that I have that information handy whenever I need it.

rosedreamdie


The project I'm showing you was made using fat quarters, but it's also a great scrappy project as well. I used 4 different fat quarters to make the quilt top (with leftovers!), plus a scrap piece for the backing, and another fat quarter for the binding.

I have a funny story to tell you about the fabrics used here: I could not wait until I got home to use this die, so Linda N. from Sizzix said I could cut it in their booth if I could find some fabric.  There is tons of fabric at Quilt Market, but very little of it is for immediate delivery! Luckily, I know some great folks at a few companies who were more than willing to help me out. The fall fabric came from Benartex (it's called Autumn Fauna and will be available next year) and the batiks are from Island Batik from their Jelly Beans collection.

To make this runner, which finishes at approximately 13" x 26", you need the following pieces:
  • From the fall print: 6 arches (that's the 6 x 6 shape on the die), 2 wedges (the 4-1/2 shape), and 2 quarter circles (the 5 x 5 shape.)
  • From the orange batik: 6 arches, and 4 squares (2 x 2)
  • From the turquoise batik: 2 quarter circles, 2 wedges, and 4 squares
  • From the pink batik: 2 strips 2" x 10-1/2", and 2 strips 2" x 13-1/2"
  • 2-1/2" wide strips for binding
  • 16" x 30" backing fabric & batting
I cut out all the pieces and laid them out like this:

rd1

You're essentially making two blocks - Rose Dream and Drunkard's Path - and using the strips to fill in the gaps.

Sewing Rose Dream

Rose Dream does look a little tricky, but I promise you there are no set in seams! You just need to stitch them in the correct order.

First, you need an arch and a melon.

rd2

The proper way to align this block is to lay the melon so that it is squared off with the arch - you'll see a bit of the arch peeking out on the right:

rd3

I tend to stitch curves without pins, so if you need a tutorial on that, I've embedded a video further down.

Align your pieces with the needle using a 1/4" seam allowance, and take a couple of stitches to secure it. I pick up the top piece and hold it while I guide the bottom piece along the 1/4" seam.  I always stitch with outside curves on top - I just find it easier to stitch this way.

rd5

As you stitch, your notches should match at the center without too much fuss, but if you're having problems, make a few practice units until you get the hang of it. Different fabrics will stretch in different ways, and sometimes you might have to tug on one of them more or less to get them to match up.

Once you get past the center notch, you just keep stitching until you get close to the bottom.  Near the bottom, you want to align your wedge with the bottom of the arch so it is squared-off like it was when you started:

rd6

I usually use a pair of tweezers for this step, but I ran out of hands since I was holding the camera.

You've got four units to piece this way, and when you are done, press your seams toward the arch.

rd7

Now we have to do the other half of the Rose Dream unit, which is just stitching a square on each end of the arch:

rd9

And press your seams toward the arch:
rd10

Here's where it gets a little bit tricky, but don't worry!

rd11

Lay the first half of the Rose Dream unit on top of the arch & squares unit.  This is the one place where I use a pin, and that is so I can make sure my seams match at the top of the wedge.

rd12

To stitch this, you're going to stitch a straight stitch until you reach the seam at the top of the wedge.  Then, once you get to the wedge, you stitch it just like you did when you worked on the original unit:

rd15

And when you get to the bottom, you line up the square with the bottom of the wedge unit:

rd17

Once again, press your seams toward the arch:

rd13

That wasn't too bad, was it?  You just need to do that four times.

Sewing Drunkard's Path

The Drunkard's Path unit is pretty straightforward; you just have that one curve to stitch in each unit, and then it's straight piecing from there.  It's the same concept from Rose Dream: square off your top edge, stitch to the center notch, stitch past the center notch, and square off the bottom edge.

rd18

I think this whole process is so much easier to explain if you can actually watch me stitch this, so I queued up this video just in time for you to take advantage of it!

How to Sew the Drunkard's Path Block without Pins


Putting it All Together

Once you get all your blocks sewn, the layout is pretty straightforward.  Make two sets of two Rose Dream blocks.

Stitch all four of your Drunkard's path units together so that they form a circle in the center.  Then, stitch a 2" x 10-1/2" strip to either side of this assembly.  That will make your Drunkard's path assembly the same size as your Rose Dream pairs.

rd20

Stitch a pair of Rose Dream units to the top and bottom of the Drunkard's Path assembly, and finally take the remaining 2" x 13-1/2" strips and stitch these two the top and bottom as borders.

Quilting and Finishing

I basted the top, batting and backing fabric together with a few pins, and chose this lovely 28 wt. Aurifil Cotton Mako variegated thread for the quilting.

rd21

I did a very simple organic line quilting, which I didn't really like at first:

rd22

I kept going though, because sometimes you have to allow yourself to stand outside your comfort zone and see what develops.  In the end, I think the fabric and thread work well together, and the Rose Dream die makes quick work of curves.


Start to finish, this table runner took up one evening, and it is ready to dress my table for the holidays!

runnerfinished

What will you make with Rose Dream?


Ebony Love
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! I have the Rose Dream die on order this very minute - can't wait to get working on it!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...