Monday, October 22, 2012

Die Cutting Techniques: Textured Impressions Glue Sheets


Today I have a fun technique to share with you from our friend May Flaum.  May loves techniques and was so excited about this one that she wanted to share it with our Sizzix readers.  This technique is not only out of the box, but also really fun to do!  It totally takes me back to what fun it was in grade school playing with glue!  Enjoy- Tammy

From May:

One of my favorite tricks is to apply a thick coating of glue to one side of a texture fade and create a textured material perfect for my crafting projects. Today I’d like to share how-to, and share a card that I created using this technique.

die cutting
  1. Apply a generous coating of glue to one side of a Texture Fade or Textured Impressions folder. You need to make sure it is a type that will dry non-tacky, smooth, and fairly transparent. If you are unsure I’d advise doing a small test patch. I like Perfect Paper Adhesive by US Art Quest, Claudine Hellmuth’s Multi-Medium, and I also hear Elmer’s glue is good for this as well.
  2. While it’s drying, you could spritz (lightly) with a mist if desired. On this project I used a squirt of Dylusions pink mist and a squirt of perfect pearls mist for a bit of shimmer too. You can color once dry too – so don’t worry if you don’t want to commit just yet!
  3. Once the glue is totally dry (I wait 24hrs always!) gently peel it off! Go slowly, start at several edges/points, and it should come right off. If it is sticking, it may not yet be totally dry.
  4. Now the fun part – you can further color the glue sheet (in my example I rubbed gently with pink and black archival inks to accent the raised parts), cut it in pieces, or use it as-is on a project.
  5. To adhere, use either more liquid adhesive, a strong double sided adhesive (I used double sided tape sheet on mine), or stitch into place. I’d advise hand stitching if you decide to do that method.

The hardest part is waiting – but the results are worth it! The texture and feel of these sheets is just so cool, and it’s just another fun way to utilize those Texture Fades and Textured Impressions. I hope you’ve enjoyed my card and how-to!

May Flaum
www.mayflaum.com


Looking for more inspiration for your Texture Fades and Textured Impressions folder?  Check out out the project gallery on Sizzix.com for over 600 more ideas!
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Ok, I cannot wait to try this. I buy texture fades because they look so cool but I never know what to make with them. I run a piece of cardstock through and I hate the way it looks so I never use it. This is super cool…thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I think I need to try this technique. I love the pink color on this card too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful technique...and a beautiful card! Thank you so much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fabulous technique! Can't wait to try it out. Thank you for sharing with us May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, I love the transparency of this technique. And the possibilities are endless with different inks and sprays. Thanks so much for sharing your project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so cool. Wonderfully creative May really does come up with some awesome techniques. I am going to check my glue supply now before I head to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is way, WAY cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy... pour the glue right onto the folder....that's it? No, nonstick spray on it or anything? How thick would that layer be, perhaps so that you can't see any of the raised peices sticking thru? Sounds really cool....I'm gonna try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! It has me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great technique idea. I've had a bottle of PPA for so long, but it's not a glue I like to use for paper crafting. I have the bottle in my hand as I type and I'm about to go select an embossing folder to try this out. Love the look of the glue sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just brilliant. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how brilliant is that! Loooove the final outcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. May, this is such a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made my first glue sheet but haven't colored it yet. My first attempt the glue was too runny as I did not mist lightly with color. Luckily I had wax paper underneath as the glue sort of ran all over the place. So for me I think it is better to color after it is dry. I definitely will be making more of these. Thanks for sharing this wonderful technique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea will have to try it !!

    MaryR

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would not have thought of this in a million years. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...