Thursday, October 11, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Trick or Treat Tag

Hi everyone! Jan here today, to share a Halloween tag. I never get tired of creating for Halloween; I think it's the colors that I love! I have used two of my favorite new Sizzix fall releases to create the tag I am sharing with you today.  This tag is a little larger than your normal size.  Ranger has two new sizes of tags; this one is the #10 and measures 4.125" x 8.5". 

I die cut the Sizzix Sizzlit strip die, Cobblestones twice using grey paper ("Green/Gray Cardstock" from Echo Park's Chillingsworth collection). I also die cut a strip with patterned paper from the same collection called, Dictionary. I chose a pattern that was very small printing so it would show up better on the small cobblestones. 

die cutting
As you can see by the photo, I trimmed my cobblestone strips, one plain and one patterned, so they fit along the edge of my tag. The remaining half will be used on the opposite side of the tag. After you have the desired length, cut off parts of your die cuts so the strip is irregular, not straight on the inside edge. After die cutting and trimming, carefully ink the edges with brown and black ink. Handle the die cuts carefully to keep the cobblestones intact in the framework.  They are designed to be easily removable so gentle handling will help keep them in place.  

Adhere the pattern paper die cut to the right side of the tag first.  I removed a few cobblestones so the black tag would show through.  I used a liquid glue with a paint brush, like Claudine Helmuth's Matte Multi-Medium. After the patterned paper is glued down, remove some of the cobblestones in the plain paper, so the print shows through, and glue this on top of the printed paper.  The pieces of the pattern paper and the solid should match up after they are layered together.  Repeat for the left side of the tag.

When your two sides are completed and dried, lightly sand the cobblestones. The edges of the stones show up better when you lightly ink your cobblestones after you have sanded. I used Tim Holtz distress inks; Gathered Twigs, Brushed Corduroy, Frayed Burlap and a bit of Black Soot.

With the extra grey cobblestone die cut, I popped out a few cobblestones, inked the edges and adhered them on top of the matching ones on the strips already on the tag. After that, I popped out a few more and adhered them directly onto the black tag, in between the two strips. Now you are ready to embellish your tag!

Using the Sizzix Sizzlit Decorative strip die, Halloween Shadows, I die cut the trick or treater's (my favorite part of the die, they are so cute!) out of a dark patterned paper (this one is Scary Stripe from Carta Bella's All Hallow's Eve collection) and the rest of the diecuts were cut out with orange patterned paper (Echo park's Chillngsworth, Iron Gate) and again in black cardstock. I die cut an extra fence and bats also. 

Before I adhered my diecuts, I stamped the tag with the Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Halloween Cutouts stamp.  The stamp is almost the same as the Trick or Treater die cut, so it looks like their shadow on the tag. I stamped the image with embossing ink, then embossed with Ranger's Sticky Embossing Powder which turns sticky when heated.  I covered the Sticky Embossing powder with dry Black Diamond Stickles glitter. 

If you don't have this stamp, but still want the same shadow effect, you can die cut the image from black cardstock and adhere to your tag or you could use the negative piece of the diecut and use it as a mask, misting with black spray or inking with black ink. You won't have as much detail (the legs) but you will have the same shadow of their heads.  (You may have noticed that the stamp has one of the children holding an umbrella.  The diecut doesn't have include the umbrella in the design.  On my tag,  I like to think of it as a ghost umbrella!)

Because my trick or treaters die cut is a little longer than my tag, instead of cutting the ends off, I just bent the ends forward. I stapled the ends to the tag behind the cat and the little person, covering the staples. The die cut is still a little longer, so it curves, giving dimension to the tag. The two picket fences and shadows are glued together (shadows are slightly off so they show up) and then glued in front of the trick or treaters with glue dots. The pumpkin and it's shadow are glued in front of the fence.

After die cutting the Trick or Treat title and it's shadow, I adhere them to the front of the tag using pop dots. Just a reminder, all the black cardstock shadows are adhered slightly off the patterned paper, so they show up. The tree is tucked underneath the cobblestones and the owl is adhered to one of the tree branches. The "31" is die cut from Sizzix's Mover's and Shapers Mini Spider and 31 die set and adhered to the tag. The little bats were glue dotted onto the tag. 

Add some twine, ribbon, or tulle to your tag and you are done! Hope this has inspired you to see the possibilities of this Cobblestone die, I already have a few more ideas!

Until next time,


Jan

die cutting supplies

pattern paper: Echo Park Chillingsworth Collection- Dictionary, Green/Gray Cardstock, Iron Gate; Carta Bella All Hallow's Eve Collection- Scary Stripe
surfaces: Ranger Ink Inkssentials Sufraces Craft Tags- Black #10
stamps: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous- Halloween Cut Outs
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Gathered Twigs, Brushed Corduroy, Frayed Burlap, Black Soot; clear embossing ink
embossing powder: Ranger Ink Sticky Embossing Powder
glitter: Ranger Ink Stickles Dry Glitter- Black Diamond
adhesive: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium

Click here for more Tim Holtz Halloween project ideas on Sizzix.com.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. You always put the most unique spin on everything, Jan. I love this tag!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...