Monday, October 1, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Steam Punkin' Tag

Hello, Ronda here to kick off October with my "Steam Punkin" tag.  I really love to create Halloween crafts and decor and Sizzix makes it easy with all their holiday dies.  This steam punk pumpkin is easy to assemble and adds that whimsical touch I just love.

die cutting
I start with a piece of grunge board, a sheet of metal foil tape, and Tim Holtz Pumpkin Jack Sizzix Die.  I like to add the tape to the grunge board and then die cut the piece.  It is easier to assemble this way instead of trying to match up the pieces after die cutting them separately.

After die cutting, I cut several strips of metal foil tape and layered them on Pumpkin Jack.  You want both thin and thicker pieces as well as odd shapes.  This is a great way to use up leftover pieces of metal foil.  The more layers you add the more depth you will create.

Next I add in rivets and hash marks.  Tim Holtz has a great tutorial on his blog showing this step in detail.  You can add these details with a paper piercer or push pin, a click pen, and a sharp edge object like a scrapper.  I feel a bit like Frankenstein when creating this layer, imaging my pumpkin coming to life.

Once I've added in all the riveted sections, it's time to add some color.  I used some sunset orange alcohol ink and a cotton pad to layer on the ink.  This is the fun part as you see the ink spreading across the surface.

Now to grunge Jack up a bit.  I add black dabber paint to the surface and then wipe off the excess.  Swipe & wipe burnishing it into the surface.  You want to fill in those wholes and seams to give him that grungy appearance.  Repeat this whole process for the stem but use a green or brown alcohol ink to color it.

For Jack's eyes, I knew I wanted some gears and gadgets.  I die cut some grunge board using the mini gears set.  You can use any metallic paint to color them but I like to use Silver and then tarnish it a bit with some black paint.  Again it gives it that grungy feel.

I completed my Steam Punkin' by adding more metal gears and gadgets.  I have to say he makes me giggle.  I really want to try this technique again on some other shapes.  Time to dig into my Sizzix dies and see what else I can create!


die cutting supplies


Surfaces: Ranger Metal Foil Sheets
Paint: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Paints, Ranger Dabber Paints
Embellishments: Tim Holtz/ Ideaology
Stamps: Tim Holtz/Stamper's Anonymous steampunk
Mediums: Ranger Claudine Hellmuth Studio Gesso & Matte Medium
Ink: Ranger Ink Jet Black Archival Ink
Spray ink: Ranger Dylusions
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. How fun is that! Love the metal tape pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Ronda! I guess we were on the same creative wavelength with our steampunk pumpkins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your creativity soared with this one!!! Great fun!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your tag!!! You rocked that pumpkin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm diggin the pumpkin tutorial! :) I think he rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...