Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Spooky Halloween House

One of my favorite things to do with Sizzix dies is to cut out a range of materials and then go to town with techniques. Inking, painting, embossing, sanding...I love it all! And I love how different treatments can give a die cut so many different looks.

Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year, and I was inspired to make this little decoration using some of the new Alterations dies combined with a few older dies. You will find a plethora of ideas for altering your die cuts in this project. Let's get started!

Begin by painting a wood plaque with Adirondack Espresso paint. Set aside to dry.

die cutting
Next, die cut the following: 2 On the Fence from Grungeboard, 1 Graveyard from Grungeboard, 2 Rickety Houses from white mat board, 4 Branch Trees from chipboards, 1 Mini Cat from chipboard, and 1 owl (from the Halloween Cutouts die) from chipboard.

First, we'll work on our spooky trees. Paint all trees, front and back, with the Espresso Dabber. Sand lightly and ink edges with Black Soot Distress ink.

Glue the trees together in sets of two, applying glue as shown. Now we have a nice, dimensional trees with lots of branches!

Now, let's build a house! After die cutting, emboss the roof portion of one of the houses with the Stripes Texture Fade. Emboss the lower part of the other house with the Bricked Texture Fade.

Cut the embossed roof off of one of the houses and paint it black, discard the rest of the house. Paint the lower portion of the brick embossed house with a Sunset Orange Dabber. Paint the roof area black. Allow to dry and sand all pieces lightly.

Adhere the stripe embossed roof piece onto the brick embossed house. Ink edges with Black Soot and Brushed Corduroy Distress ink. Apply a light coating of Ranger Rock Candy Distress Stickles. The Stickles will add a touch of sparkle and will also blend the inks and seal the piece.

Cut a piece of plastic packaging to fit the back of the house - this will be the windows. Ink with Butterscotch Alcohol Ink. You can see I grunged up my house just a bit more too! Glue inked piece to the back of the house.

After die cutting the the fence, paint the fence pieces with Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint. When dry, cover with Brushed Pewter Distress Stain (not shown). Let dry and then cover with Black Soot Distress Stain to highlight the cracks. Wipe away excess and set aside to dry. You can also use your heat gun to speed up the process.

Cut the tombstone border into individual pieces, being sure to leave the bottoms tilted. Paint with a Pebble Dabber and heat to dry. This will cause the paint to bubble a bit, creating a cool stone texture. Ink over the stones with Black Soot Distress ink. Mist lightly with water - this will make the black ink to run and puddle, creating shading and adding more dimension. Dry with heat tool.

We're almost done, I promise! Take your kitty and paint him with a Pitch Black dabber, front and back. When dry, sand lightly and coat with Rock Candy Stickles. Paint owl with Pitch Black Dabber, and paint his branch with Espresso Dabber. When dry, sand edges.

Stamp witch silhouette on chipboard with Black Soot Distress ink. Cut out image.

Finally - the fun part! We're ready to assemble our spooky scene. Using hot glue or other strong adhesive, adhere fence to painted base as shown. I wasn't worried about the gap in the back because it won't show, but you can add a little piece if it bothers you.

Next, glue your house piece to the center of the base, using hot glue. Add the trees on either side, trimming to fit as necessary. You will have to hold the pieces in place while the glue cools. Don't worry about the glue showing - we'll cover that up next!

Add tombstones, again using hot glue. Glue Spanish moss around the base of all pieces to hide the glue. Adhere the cat to the fence.

Carefully spread out the branches of the tree, to give them a dimensional look. Glue owl to one of the branches.

Apply a dab of hot glue to the back of the witch cutout and immediately press a piece of wire into it. When cool, apply a dab of hot glue to the back of the chimney and press the other end of wire into it. Let cool and then shape as desired. The wire almost disappears, making the witch look like she's flying! Finally, attach an Idea-ology Plaquette to the top of the house.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with too many techniques! If Halloween isn't your thing, this could easily be altered to be a fall decoration. I also have plans to make a winter/Christmas scene - how pretty would that be?!

Happy Haunting!

Shelly

die cutting supplies

InLinkz.com

surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology- Grungeboard; Chipboard
stamps: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous - Halloween Silhouettes
paint: Ranger Adirondack Dabber Paint - Pitch Black, Sunset Orange, Pebble
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Black Soot, Brushed Corduroy
stain: Tim Holtz Distress Stain - Brushed Pewter, Black Soot
alcohol ink: Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink - Butterscotch
embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology- Plaquettes
adhesive: Ranger Glossy Accents; hot glue
tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip; heat tool
misc: Ranger Rock Candy Distress Stickles; moss, wire, wood plaque, plastic packaging scrap, spray bottle of water
Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. Wow Shelly, this is SO cool! Love the little scene you built with the house, fence, trees and all the other details. Great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, Shelly. It has everything but a ghost in the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea! I wish I'd had the Sizzix ghost die when I was making this. Now that I'm done I keep thinking of other things I could have added, lol!

      I also meant to mention that the reason I left the space behind the house is so you can add an electric tea light.

      Delete
  3. lots of techniques, tho I have to ask,
    Discard? the rest of house? I'm sure you meant put it aside to use later!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! Love the entire look! It's one of the best Halloween projects I've seen this season! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous creation Shelly, love e scene and all the techniques you have used. Wonderful,texture and dimension. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this little scene! Love all the textures. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I like that I could adapt it to any season or occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally awesome. Another masterpiece by the Queen of Halloween!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning!!! I'm speechless, love all the detail. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab-U-Lous!! I actually have all of the items needed to re-create this and I'm gonna make it! I love, love, love it and thanks a bunch for the tuts as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the way you create!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! My granddaughters would love this. Maybe I will have time to make it, since I think I have everything I would need...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your haunted house - thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could afford all of these awesome products so I can make cool things like this! This is simply amazing and will be adding these supplies to my wishlist for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just amazing, Shelly! For decades I have resisted the Halloween thing, not really sure why, just not my thing I suppose. But this year after seeing so many incredible and FUN Halloween projects, I'm a fan. Anyway, I love the dimensional elements of this, all the cool textures you created, and the happy colors. Still spooky, but in a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial with so much good information! Love this fun haunted house! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...