Thursday, October 25, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Memory Game

Hi everyone! Today I (Anna-Karin) have a little project to share, which is a bit different from what I often do. I've had fun trying out different ways of using Eileen Hull's Candy Drawer ScoreBoards die, turning it into a chest of drawers, a gift box, a shadow box and here into a children's memory game. I used a lot of smaller dies on the project too. It is a fun project that lets you use your die cutting supplies for more than just crafts.

I loved playing Memory as a child and I made this for my son, although he is still a bit too small to really understand how the game works. It's a great gift project for a child and you can use images that interest them and make as many pairs of cards as you would like to. Here's how I did this:

First, pick different patterned papers (6x6 pads work great since the patterns are small), and glue two pieces of mat board to the back of each paper. I used multi-medium, since it is important that the papers stick well to the board. Cut the squares just a bit bigger than the square on the Candy Drawer die. Leave to dry. If you don't want to use patterned paper, you could stamp the mat board instead, paint it, or use photos, lots of possibilities.

Die cut the squares you glued to the patterned papers, trying to line them up on the die, so that the pieces will look approximately the same. I made twelve pairs, but you could easily do more.

I decided stamp on the back of the cards. You could use cardstock too, or paint them. The important thing is that all the squares have to look exactly the same at the back. I can clearly remember how easy it was to pick out the pairs that had a smudge at the back when playing Memory as a child. Use a waterproof ink for the stamping, since we are going to coat the cards with multi-medium later. I placed the stamp with the rubber side up on my desk, inked it and then carefully lined up the cards in the corner of the stamp, so that all the impressions are the same. Put a piece of scrap paper on top and apply even pressure (the scrap paper prevents your hands from getting inky). If a patterned paper has a right side up, make sure you place it the right way on the stamp.

Here are all the stamped backs of the cards. I smudged ink on one and had to replace it with a new card.

die cutting
Search through your dies and find dies that will fit on the cards and that the recipient will find interesting. I cut all of them from different colours Core'dinations cardstock and sanded the edges. This is a great way to practice colours for a child too.  I added some details with a black pen.

Glue the shapes to the cards with multi-medium. Don't worry about some glue seeping out from underneath the shapes. It is important that they are glued down firmly, so that little fingers won't be able to peel them off. I also die cut some letters and numbers and paired them up with the different items. These add another dimension to the learning process. You could also use the full names of the items.

Since the cards are going to be handled a lot, they need to be coated. I used matte multi-medium and coated them at the front and back (let them dry in between). I also painted the multi-medium on the edges. If you want to, you can add a second coat. Leave the cards to dry completely. Don't stack them on top of each other until they are completely dry.

The memory cards needed a box or they would soon start disappearing. The 'frame' part of the Candy Drawer die formed the perfect box, since it is just the right size. Glue patterned papers to two strips of mat board, again using multi-medium. When they are dry, die cut them with the Candy Drawer die. I couldn't fit all the cards into one box, so I made two. If you make even more cards, you can just add a third compartment.

Stamp them on the inside with the same stamp that you used on the back of the cards.

After die cutting and stamping, assemble each box and then glue them together like this.

Die cut a title from black Core'dinations cardstock using the Inside Out die, sand and glue to one side of the box.

Die cut some of the shapes you used on the cards again and embellish the box with them. I didn't add a lot of embellishments to the box.

I love Karen Burniston's Birds on a Wire die, and the birds looked great on top of the map paper.

On the last side of the box, Mini Old Jalopy drives by.

The box needed a base and I knew that just gluing a piece of mat board to the bottom would not do, it would fall off eventually. Instead, I carefully measured a piece of mat board, and scored it with my craft knife along both edges, as you can see on the photo. Don't cut all the way through, just enough so that you can fold the flap easily.

Carefully pierce two holes through the box and the base and attach with brads, repeat on the other side.

All done, time to play!

Here's a view from the top of the box. You could fill this box with other things too.

Thank you so much for looking!!

Happy Crafting!

Anna-Karin

die cutting supplies

Surfaces: BasicGrey- Wander 6x6 and 12x12 paper pad, Life of the Party 6x6 pad, Pb&J 6x6 pad, Picadilly 6x6 pad, Clippings 6x6 pad, Paper Cottage 6x6 pad
Stamps: Hero Arts Alphabet Pattern ST50; Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz Curiosities
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink- French Ultramarine
Adhesive: Ranger Claudine Hellmuth Matte Multi Medium
Tools: paint brush

For more ideas featuring the Candy Drawers die, visit Sizzix.com: Candy Drawers Projects.
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. That's a great idea--and a perfect birthday or Christmas gift for little children too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an idea! I made a memory game from felt already, but I must make this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastically imaginative way to use the die - love the idea, and the cards look just fabulous - so tactile for tiny hands!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a fun use for that die I ordered and just put on the shelf without using it yet! Now I can't wait to get home from work and put it to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED the memory game as a kid and this is a terrific project! I do not have a die cut machine (although I desperately want one!), but as soon as I am able to get one, I would love to make this. You could also use it for many other purposes as well, so I think the whole project is wonderful and I appreciate you sharing the how-to with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna-Karin- what a great way to use that die- you are amazing! I also loved playing the memory game I especially love how you used the drawer slider to hold the cards. What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project!! I would totally play this memory game just to look at all your wonderful artwork! :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...