Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Halloween Vintage Fringe Tree

Hi everyone!  I know we're at the final week before Halloween, but I thought I'd squeeze in one last Halloween project and one that is easily adaptable to fit any holiday, (including Christmas) wink! I adore all things vintage and since the Sizzix Cone Pro die is one of my favorite dies, I thought it would make a super cute vintage Halloween tree.  

This was very simple to make and below I've included step-by-step photos to help you in making one of your own.  I hope you enjoy!

I used the following dies from Sizzix to make this tree: Pro Cone DieTattered BannersPrimitive Stars, and Halloween Shadows.  You must also use the Sizzix Big Shot Pro machine, because the Cone die is the largest die and it will not fit through the Big Shot or Vagabond.  (Complete supplies are listed below.)

die cutting
Die cut the cone from Pro Cone die.  After die cutting, secure the sides together using red-lined tacky tape by placing tape along the scored edge.

After securing the sides, the assembled cone should look like this.

To create the fringe, layer black and orange crepe paper on top of each other alternating colors until you have 3 black and 3 orange.  I made mine about 4 feet long.

 Using your sewing machine, stitch down the center of all the layers.

Use pinking shears to cut the crepe paper as shown, the entire length and on both sides of the stitching, being careful not to cut through the stitching.

When finished with cutting, crumple the fringe in your hands until you get the look you like.

Use hot glue to adhere the fringe to the cone.  Start at the bottom, apply some hot glue, press down the fringe, and keep winding it around the cone until you get to the top.  When you reach the top snip off the excess fringe. 

Your tree is now complete and ready to be embellished as desired.  I embellished my tree by adhering vintage black & cream ribbon, rusty bells and a "Happy Halloween" tattered banner.

For the base of the tree, I simply decoupaged black gingham paper to a box, then glued my tree to the top of it using hot glue.  I adhered a wooden fence around the base and added a row of "onlookers" die cut from Tim Holtz's Halloween Shadows. To finish, I glued black ric-rac to the base and added a Halloween wreath made from an orange & black pipe cleaners tied with black floss.

Finally, for the top of the tree, I added a start that I created by die cutting a primitive star from chipboard. I sprayed the star with adhesive, sprinkled on some silver german glass glitter, shook off the excess and adhered it to the top of the tree using hot glue.  

Happy Halloween everyone!  I hope you enjoyed my project, this was so much fun to make, I can't wait to make another for Christmas!



pattern paper: black gingham paper
cardstock: black, ivory
specialty paper:  crepe paper- orange, black; chipboard
ribbon: black & creme ribbon, 
stamps: Hero Arts Printers Type
glitter: German Glass Glitter- silver
ink: Distress Ink
embellishments: rusty bells; white wooden picket fence; pipe cleaners- orange and black; black floss; black ric-rac ribbon 
tools: pinking shears; sewing machine
adhesive: hot glue, decopage medium; red line tape; spray adhesive
Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. What a clever way to make the fringe Hilary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond incredible, Hilary!! I love every single detail. Amazing project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Hilary, this is fabulous! Love your tree and the fringed crepe paper is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute tree! I was thinking Martha Stewart's fringe scissors would work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic cone tree. Thankyou for sharing a great step by step tutorial. I can see so many cool ideas for this cone tree. Thankyou for the detail steps for the crepe fringe, love it! I want the sizzix pro!!
    Those rusty jingle bells are so perfect, I want those too!! I want to make these for christmas, now I have to figure out how to make the cone without a pro.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es precioso y muy inspirador!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really fun project, but I see this working for so many ways. I definitely want to use it for upcoming table decorations for Christmas and New Years parties.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...