Saturday, October 20, 2012

Die Cutting Fabric: The Big Little Book of Fabric Die Cutting Tips

The Big Little Book of Fabric Die Cutting Tips by Ebony Love


I began my crafty life as a young teen learning to sew.  It was really my first crafty love.  I have sewed all kinds of projects since them from clothing, to ice skating costumes, to home decor and bedding.  Over the years I have continued to sew but really shifted my crafty focus to working with paper and papercrafting.  Although I incorporate fabric and sewing into my paper craft projects, I have let sewing things like clothing and home decor fall by the way side.

When I began working for Sizzix I found myself really drawn to their quilting and appliqué dies.  I had always wanted to learn quilting and appliqué but had never taken the leap to take a class.  I loved the idea of revisiting the dream of learning to quilt and to be able to die cut my fabric pieces for my projects.  The whole process though made me feel a little intimidated wondering how things I had learned in clothing construction would apply to die cutting and quilting.  Although I die cut fabric pieces for papercraft projects frequently, I knew that for wearables or quilting I needed a little more know-how before cutting a quilt worth of fabric.

This past summer I met Ebony Love, who is a quilter, writer, and passionate quilting blogger.  She has an infectious enthusiasm for teaching others about quilting and die cutting.  I invited her to be a guest blogger for us and was blown away with the info she shared with us in her post.  When she offered to let me review her upcoming book about both I quickly agreed!

I immediately loved that the book was not a project book.  I have lots of project books that show me how to duplicate what someone else has made.  Instead this book is about teaching the how's and why's of die cutting fabric.  She includes several different brands of die cutting equipment including Sizzix's Big Shot and Big Shot Pro.  The seven chapters of the book cover topics like:

  • how to choose a die cutter 
  • mats & other consumables
  • dies
  • fabric preparation & other materials
  • sewing & piecing tips
  • further resources

The book is 5.5” x 8.5” and has a spiral binding so it lays flat.  I love that because I can lay it on my worktable and leave it open without losing my place in the book.  There are over 200 pages of information.  I love too that I can skip around through the book and get the information I needed without having to start at the beginning and read all the way through.

If you are familiar with die cutting paper like me, the book will help you cross right over into fabric.  If you are new to die cutting all together, it provides good background information that will help you understand die cutting that you can apply to not only fabric, but paper as well.  It is just a well rounded resource for anyone interested in die cutting fabric for quilting and appliqué.  After reading Ebony's book I truly feel ready to give quilting a try with my Big Shot Pro!  Now if I can only decide on what fabric to use!  Have you seen how many amazing designs there are out there?


You can find out more about Ebony on her website and blog: http://www.lovebugstudios.com/.
You can learn more about Sizzix Quilting on our website: http://www.sizzix.com/shop/sizzixquilting.
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. It certainly sounds like the ulimate source for die cutting and the machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like what I need--I have a new cutter that I haven't tried out yet, and I need to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ebony has definitely done alot of the legwork for everyone in order to give us awesome information. I can't wait to get this book for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to die cutting and want to learn so can cut hexagons, among other pieces. Thanks for the chance to win a copy of this book! Have fun with your fabric and Big Shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that there are more die cutting fabric machine in the market, Ebony's book definitely is a good guide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ebony is wonderful, and has several helpful videos that have helped me alot. Enjoy your journey in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just barely begun cutting fabric in my Cuttlebug. It is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so looking forward to Ebony's book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see Ebony's book. Her YouTube videos are great.

      Delete
  10. sounds like a great book. Thank you for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. book looks great. I really would like to know if Sizzix dies will work with Accuquilt cutters or vice-versa (best of all worlds if they do!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe I should try paper crafts too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great resource, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds like the die cutting machine bible. The field of fabric cutting is new to me and I would so love to learn more about the fabric die-cutting machines!

    Suzanne Urban

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I don't a die cutting machine of my own yet, this book should help me decide which one to invest in. soparkaveataoldotcom

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so looking forward to Ebony's book. I know I'll learn things that I'll go "Now why didn't I think of that! LOL" Thank for a great review. I haven't gotten into cutting paper but hey who knows that may end up yet another loving hobby!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.netOctober 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM

    It certainly sounds like it would be a big help to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We can always learn something and it helps if it saves us money down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Tammy, I love your blog and projects. I'm excited that Ebony has written this book. I want to quilt so badly, really quilt, I've done little projects, table runners and pillows, but only flying by the seat of my pants. LOL I love that Sizzix is getting involved and I love that they put a test die cut in every package to show the die works well. If Accucut Craft did that, they would save themselves and their customers, time money and frustration. Maybe they do better with their quilting dies. But I choose some of my dies based on whether I think they can double for cardstock and fabric crafts. I can't wait to see Ebony's book.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...