Monday, October 15, 2012

Die Cutting Fabric: Apple Core Pincushion

I must start by admitting that I got sidetracked.  I was intending to stitch up something quilty using the Sizzix Apple Core Die, but my mind got to wandering and I decided that I simply had to make actual apple cores!  I made these adorable apple core pincushions by die cutting fabric using bits of three different dies.  

die cutting
In addition to the Apple Core which was used to cut the pincushion front and back, I used the Pear Die to cut the inner core sections and 3-4 seeds, and the Leaves Die to cut a set of two felt leaves (choosing the largest leaf on the die).  

After die cutting the leaves from wool felt from Commonwealth Felt, I embellished with hand stitched veins.  I then stitched two layers together for added body.

The inner core and seeds were die cut with a layer of Steam A Seam 2 fused to the wrong side of the fabric and were then appliqued to the apple core front. 

I used red rick rack along the upper and lower edge to look like the apple skin.  

After appliqueing the inner core and seeds, basting the rick rack in place, and embroidering the leaf, I placed the leaf right side down on top of the apple core with a 6" loop of twill tape to represent the stem. 

With right sides together, I stitched the apple core pieces together with a 1/4" seam, leaving an opening for turning at the bottom.  It's important to clip all the curved seams so that they turn nicely, but especially the top and bottom due to the rick rack.  The apple cores were stuffed with fiberfill and then the opening was hand-sewn closed.

I'm so glad I got sidetracked because these are adding some cheer to my sewing table this fall!

Amy


InLinkz.com

fabric: cream and brown colored fabric; felt 
filler: fiberfill
trim: rick rack; embroidery floss; twill tape
misc: Steam A Seam, thread 


Click here for another great ideas using the Sizzix Apple Core die at Sizzix.com!
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Love this! I am adding these dies to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful Amy! Such a great idea. Love the fabrics you used, great patterns, and the leaves add the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are too adorable for words Amy! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is unbelievably adorable, Amy!! You are talented beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautifully cute project. A great alternative use for a die for quilting. Very inspiring. I can see other possibilities in the shape now that I wouldn't have before your tutorial. Fabric is my weakness. I love the way my bigshot cuts fabric so beautifully. Thankyou for the inspiration.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I have been fancying the die for a while but think it's use would be limited but what a great use for it! Now on my Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I'm so glad you got sidetracked too :-) I want to make these for all of my quilt group friends- thanks for the idea. And also love how you stitched the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was such a great idea! Really, really fun! You so have the best ideas.ha.hah.a.a..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful idea, I love it !!!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...