Monday, September 10, 2012

Halloween Ornament on a Stand

Hi Everyone!  Jan Hobbins here with today's tutorial.  I love decorating for fall and Halloween, so I feel it's never too early to start creating for this season.  Trouble is, I love creating Halloween decorations so much that I'm accumulating quite a lot!  Today I'm going to show you how to make this tabletop decoration.

Die cut two clocks, two witches, four bats, two pennants, and one cupcake stand and two base pieces.  I die cut the cupcake stand and base from Sizzix's black Little Sizzles Mat Board.  

You can use chipboard instead and paint the uncovered parts black, but I love using this mat board for projects that I need to be sturdier.  With the black board, I didn't need to cover the backside of my project, which was a bonus.  I just had to color the sides with a black marker, as the inner core is still white.  After my stand was die cut, I embossed it with the Sizzix Halloween Cobweb Texture Fade folder. With orange and purple paint, lightly dab the raised cobwebs, so they show up against the black.


Cut out another base die cut from an adhesive sheet (I used SookWang).  I cut out the middle about 1/8" inside of the scoring line.  I adhered it to the mat board base, matching the cutout design exactly.  Remove the top backing, and cover with glitter(or you could use flocking or foil).  I also stamped little tiny stars on the top with embossing ink and Ranger's new Sticky Embossing Powder.  Once this is heated, it turns sticky so you can add glitter, flocking or foil.  I added orange glitter to the stars.  Assemble the cupcake stand pieces adding a strong liquid adhesive.


Die cut one Sizzix Weathered Clock Die with mat board or chipboard and one from patterned paper.  Ink the edges of your patterned paper clock.  I cut out a moon from Graphic45's Happy Hauntings, Man in the Moon paper.  There was a little bat on the side, which I left on and cut around it.  This piece is sandwiched between the two pieces of the clock diecut, before you glue them together.  If you don't want to use a moon, another suggestion is; a clock face, night sky, or stars paper.  

I used one of the pennants to attach the clock.  Adhere the bottom of the clock to the scallop side of the pennant die cut, about 3/4" from the center score line, bend at a 90 degree angle.  Adhered the back of the pennant (the non-scallop side) to the stand base, point facing to the rear of the stand (it will have to be trimmed a bit).  The clock will end up about 1 1/4" from the back of the base.

The witch and branches die cut from mat board and patterned paper, using the Bewitching Hour and the Twigs On the Edge die.  I used papers from We R Memory Keepers' Black Widow collection.  I chose papers that didn't really have a pattern, just a distressed look, so my shapes looked like silhouettes.  Glue the paper and board together.  Sand the edges and ink with orange ink.  It gives the witch a slight glow on the edges.  Cover it with Rock Candy crackle paint and let dry.  For the branches, I cut off a piece from one end and a bit in the middle (as shown in photo).  Sand and ink the edges.

Cut out three bats from your mat board or chipboard from the Bewitching Hour die.  Paint a few spots on the bats with purple paint and let dry.  Apply Rock Candy to these also and let dry.  The final piece to make before you assemble the pieces is the banner.  This was cut out using Sizzix's Tattered Banner Decorative Strip Die and patterned paper.  I stamped "All Hallow's Eve" (I think this was a Pink Paislee stamp) with black ink and inked the edges.

To attach the witch so it is about 3/4" in front of the clock, I used the other pennant from the Cupcake Stand die, trimmed off the point on the non-scalloped triangle to about 3/4".  Bend at a 90 degree angle, attaching the scalloped edge to the witch and the non-scalloped side to the cupcake stand.  I used a piece of very thick dimensional black foam pop dot, or a rectangle piece of foam.  (Quick Tip: I save the foam rectangle pieces that come in your Sizzix Embossing folders.  They are great for gluing behind things for added dimension, or to stand things up, especially in shadow boxes or altered items.)  Adhere the foam (about 1/2 wide and 1"high) to the floor of the pennant, against the bottom of the clock and the back of the scalloped triangle. 

The witch is then adhered to the front of the pennant, the twigs in front of the witch, tucking some of the branches behind her.  The extra piece of twig you cut off, is tucked between the branches and the witch.  One of the bats is glued in front of the branches.  Bend the ends of your banner and glue in front of the branches.  I curled small pieces of black wire, by wrapping them around a knitting needle.  Stick one end into the chipboard bat and the other end into the foam for one, and the other into the chipboard clock.

The piece is finished!  I think this stand could be used for so many projects, not just cupcakes.  For those of you that don't decorate for Halloween, think Christmas!  Thanks for stopping by the Sizzix blog today and hope you enjoyed my project!

Jan

Patterned Paper: Graphic45 Happy Haunting Paper; We R Memory Keepers Black Widow
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Fall Seasonal; Ranger Ink Archival- Jet Black
Embossing Powder: Ranger Ink Sticky Embossing Powder
Glitter: Craft and Glitz- orange
Paint: Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint- Rock Candy; orange and purple craft paint
Adhesive: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Multi Medium; SookWang Adhesive Sheet
Misc: black wire
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Great project Jan. love all the detail. I must add the cupcake stand to my wish list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea for the cupcake stand Jan! And I love that you used the banner part to attach pieces, very clever! Gorgeous details. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant project - shows how versatile the dies are

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome clock! Love how you think outside the box when using different dies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to make your home really look really beautiful , paintings are the best way to do it believe home looks very well decorated . If you are looking to find Oil Paintings Reproductions at very economical price or cheap rates, you must visit wahooart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Need the stand die!!!!! My list grows.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. jan...once again, pure genius.
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating holiday piece. This would look terrific in my house. Charming.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...