Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: Turn the World Around

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? I recently got my first Flip-its die. I chose the circle because it seemed so versatile. When I received it, I immediately began dreaming up ideas of how to use it. I was so excited when I realized that Tim Holtz' Vintage Globe die would fit the cut out portion! Then I remembered that I had a quote stamp so perfect that it almost seemed made for this card.

Begin by die cutting a piece of map-themed Idea-ology Kraft Resist cardstock using the Circle Flip-its die and crease pad. Due to the orientation of the Alterations Vintage Globe die, I had to cut my card backwards (upside down) from the way it is normally cut.

Next, cover the entire piece with Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain. Darken edges with Gathered Twigs Distress ink.

Die cut the Vintage Globe die twice from chipboard and cut apart. Die cut the Mini Heart from chipboard. Paint pieces as shown and sand edges lightly. Layer the extra land pieces from the globe on top to give a dimensional effect. Paint the heart red and add an Idea-ology Chit Chat sticker.

Apply 3-in-1 glue to the right half of the globe and adhere to right side of the card, matching up the edge of the globe with the circle cut out.

Fold the card, making sure the circle portion can move freely. Adjust if necessary. Adhere the center of the globe to the circle. Add the heart to the center of the globe using a pop dot. Cut black Kraft Core with Harlequin die, cut apart, and adhere as shown.

Die cut a piece of kraft cardstock using the Vintage Globe die. Stamp with sentiment using Jet Black Archival ink. Sponge edges with Gathered Twigs Distress ink.

Unfold card and adhere stamped globe to the center. Refold card - you're done!

This is such a great example of why I love motion cards - you are literally turning the world around! How cool is that?!

Isn't this the best quote? I hope my card has inspired you to imagine the possibilities of die cutting paper with this or other Flip-its dies. I, for one, cannot wait to play with it some more!

See you next month,

Shelly


die cutting supplies

InLinkz.com

Stamps: Artistic Outpost - Typography
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Kraft Resist; chipboard; kraft cardstock
Paint: Ranger Adirondack Dabbers - Red Pepper, Silver, Juniper, Aqua, Lettuce
Ink: Ranger Distress ink - Gathered Twigs; Ranger Archival - Jet Black; Ranger Distress Stain - Brushed Corduroy
Embellishments: Idea-ology Chit Chat Words
Tools: Idea-ology Sanding Block, scissors, acrylic block
Adhesive: Beacon 3-in-1
Pin It!

17 comments:

  1. Pure genius, as always Shelly! You are so inspirational, thank you! When I looked on the Sizzix website about the flip-its dies I saw a demo video clip but they did not use a crease pad. Help me understand how you used the crease pad?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For this card, I used the crease pad because my paper was a bit thin. When I cut it first with the regular pads, the creases ended up cutting through the paper. The crease pad allowed me to cut the shape without damaging the crease. Thicker paper would probably not require the use of the crease pad. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Wow...what a great card. Not difficult but looks really impressive. Thanks Shelly for your ideas!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous as usual, Shelly! Love the way this looks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is gorgeous Shelly! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card Shelly! The globe die and that stamp fit so well together (I used them on a card together some time ago too), and with the circle flip-its, it is just perfect. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card but I really NEED that stamp! Please share who makes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love that stamp too! It's from Artistic Outpost. You can find it here: http://www.artisticoutpost.com/typography1.html

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Shelly! Always look forward to your creations. Thanks for the tutorial and letting us know where we can find that stamp. Always on the lookout for good quote stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally as cool as it can get. Truly, I love how it came together so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly--such a perfect combination of quote and dies and papers, etc. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!I need to remember this idea when Graduation time rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WONDERFUL flip card!!! TFS!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...