Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Die Cutting Paper: A Beautiful Bird Ornament

Quite simply, I have been having a ball with my Sizzix BigShot Pro. I was a little intimidated by it at first but soon I decided that it was just a really big die cut machine that has the capacity to cut some really cool materials. I love the mat board that Sizzix makes, it is lightweight yet sturdy and paints up very nicely. When I ran out last week, I decided to try and cut foam core board with the BigShot Pro and was amazed at the results.

I used the Beautiful Bird die to create some unique hand painted ornaments. Die cutting the foam board with the BigShot Pro was easy. Imagine all the birds you can get from one sheet of foam core board that generally costs less than $2.00.

After die cutting my pieces, I used a craft to trim any rough edges on the foam.

I painted the shapes using DecoArt's Antique White acrylic paint.

I applied two coats to the ornaments and let them dry on both the back and front. I applied Warm White to a large ornate foam stamp. Tip- You can also apply paint to the stamp using a cosmetic sponge.

I stamped the bird in random places on both sides of the bird shape and wings. I added some script on the bird and wings with Staz-On ink. I also added a black dot, made with the end of a paintbrush.

Not being one to pass up embellishing, I cut several flowers from red wool felt.

Stack multiple flower layers together adhering them together with fabric glue. Attach the wings with adhesive glue lines.

This ornaments can be made to hung year round or for a unique Christmas tree decoration. Thanks for letting me share.

Live Life Creatively,
MelonysSignature


InLinkz.com

Surfaces: foam core board
Fabric: Wool Felt- red
Stamps: ornate foam stamp; script stamp
Paint: DecoArt Americana Acrylics- Antique White, Warm White, Lamp Black
Ink: StazOn- black
Adhesive: Aleene's Tacky Lines; fabric glue
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous...thanks!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. is beautiful
    http://mayodetalles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an idea, seeing what u done with the sizzix, takes all my fears away of using mine. thanks again nice bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just beautiful! I would never have guessed that they were made from craft foam...they look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...