Thursday, September 27, 2012

Die Cutting Fabric: Burlap Jack-o-Lantern Treat Bags

Hello, hello! Tamara here today with another fun Halloween project to share! Thank you for stopping by and I hope you love the project I am about to share!

I am knee deep in Halloween projects over here (I literally.. I have 4 currently in the works!). This one is different from any papercraft project that I normally do. I decided to use up some of the yards of burlap I've been hoarding so I made some Jack-o-Lantern treat bags!


Aren't those fun? Burlap is so popular right now and these are very easy to make! Get yourself a few yards of burlap and you can easily make a whole pile of these.. or just two!

die cutting

I embellished the Jack-o-Lantern bags with some burlap ribbon, button, wire and burlap leaves. What do you think? If you'd like to make some here are my steps:

First you will use the pumpkin dies; Pumpkin tall and Pumpkin short.  After die cutting two of each pumpkin, zig-zag stitch them together around the edges to create a bag.  Remember when stitching around the top to leave it open for treats! I may, or may not have sewn my first bag completely shut..  You will cut two sets of Jack-o-Lantern faces with the Mini Scary Jack-o-Lantern die using black burlap. A tighter weave burlap will work best. Zig zag stitch the faces to the pumpkins.

I used the Birch Leaves Framelits dies for leaves on my pumpkins. For the larger pumpkin I used the two smaller dies.  For the small pumpkin I used one of the smallest leaf. After die cutting the leaves from green burlap, stitch around the edges with green thread to prevent fraying. Hot glue the leaves to the top corners of the bags. 

For the cute wire handles, Cut an 8" piece of wire and a 10" piece of wire. I used jewelry wire from the craft store. Bend it into a 'U' shape, stick ends through the burlap at the edge of the bags, then bend into a small 'U' shape at the ends.

Embellish the completed bags with burlap ribbon bows and buttons.

I hope you've enjoyed this project today! Grab yourself a pumpkin spiced latte and get crafting! (Aren't those holiday coffee drinks the BEST?!.. Mmmmm...)

-Tamara

die cutting equipment


Fabric: Burlap- orange, green, and black
Ribbon: May Arts- burlap ribon
Embellishments: buttons; wire
Tools: sewing machine and thread
Adhesive: hot glue gun
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. These are adorable, Tamara!! Love the way you combined these dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you have created with Burlap! great tutorial Tamara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Super cute finished project, Tamara!
    Cheryl First
    aka Cafexpressions

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...