Thursday, August 23, 2012

Vintage Embellishment Chest

I first saw Eileen Hull's amazing Candy Drawer die at the Winter CHA show. She had created a little chest with it and I couldn't wait to try one myself. The style of my chest was inspired by a photo of an abandoned storage unit I first saw on Pinterest. I hope you're inspired to make one yourself!

Begin by die cutting 12 pieces of chipboard using the Candy Drawer die. Paint one edge of each of the drawer surround pieces (front and back) with a Pitch Black Dabber. Fold and assemble using a Tape Runner.

Next, ink the inside (the side that doesn't have score lines) of the box piece with Gathered Twigs Distress ink. Assemble 8 of the boxes and paint 3 sides with the Pitch Black Dabber.

Stamp the remaining 4 boxes using Pitch Black Dabber. When dry, ink over the images using Gathered Twig Distress ink. Assemble boxes using Tape Runner.

Sand the edges of the painted boxes and ink with Gathered Twigs Distress ink.

To give the drawers a finished look and add stability, we will add a chipboard surround. You will need 2 pieces that measure 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" and two pieces that measure 8" x 2 1/2". Paint all pieces on one side and sand lightly when dry.

Now we can start building our chest! Begin by covering the unpainted side of one of the 8" chipboard pieces with 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue. Align the first drawer with the left side. Note: I prefer using a wet glue like 3-in-1 so that I have 'open' time to adjust my pieces and get it just right. Adhere the next two boxes, making sure to glue the sides to each other. Continue building your chest in the same manner.

When all your drawers are adhered, glue on the side and top pieces, trimming to fit if necessary.

To finish the back (and keep your drawers from falling out!) cut a piece of chipboard 8" x 6 1/2" and glue to the back.

With the chest assembly complete, you can have fun decorating the drawers! I used a combination of unfinished wood knobs, Idea-ology Drawer Pulls, and little handles made from Grungeboard and the Sizzix Vintage Valise die. This is a great time to let your imagination run wild.


Once you've decorated your drawers, you can start filling them with embellishments. I love the versatility of Eileen Hull's Candy Drawer die - it can go from cute to grungy and everywhere in between. How amazing would this be for an Advent calendar? Or a sewing chest? So many possibilities!

See you next month,

Shelly

InLinkz.com

Paper: Chipboard, Kraft Cardstock
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous- Steampunk, Wallpaper & Wood, Mini Halloween 3, Stuff to Say; Artistic Outpost - London Underground
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress ink- Gathered Twigs
Paint: Ranger Adirondack Dabber Paint- Pitch Black
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Label Pulls, Long Fasteners, Stripes
Tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip; 3/4" Circle Punch
Adhesive: Beacon 3-in-1 Glue; Scotch Tape Glider
Other: unfinished wood knobs
Pin It!

41 comments:

  1. Shelly, my job dropped when I first saw this. Wow! What a fantastic piece! Loving the grungy look of it. You rock! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I am blown away Shelly, this is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ,, I love this style,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly this is over the top unbelievably cool!!! Great idea to add the d=sides and backing for that many drawers. I am totally making a big one like this :-) THANK YOU for making this die look soooooo good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shellypiece! Shellypiece! Shellypiece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Simply amazing. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelly -

    This is just magnificent! I really need to add that die to my Christmas wish list. You've done a phenomenal job!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Shelly, this is so cool! Love your painted and stamped grungy chest. So different from mine! I was thinking an Advent calender would be super fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So totally WONDERFU!!! Love it.

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holey Moley, I Love it! In awe of your considerable talent.

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shelly, came over from your place to see how you put this together and I am speechless - a truly amazing creation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holly cow Shelly!!!!! This is AMAZING!!!!! OUTSTANDING!!!! JAW DROPPING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a VERY AMAZING project!!!! I LOVE it!!!! It totally looks vintage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with this chest! I love the vintage look to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hot diggity, I love this Shelly!!! I have a "thing" for little drawers so I'll have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Shelly, it's stunning! I had no idea there was a die for this.... you've sure showcased it! Love your set of drawers, how some are stamped and some are not, the different drawer pulls... it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous!
    I wasn't quite sure about this die because I thought I could achieve the sam result with a scoring tool, but your project has just sold it for me! I hope my local store still has one, because I'm buying it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful project, Shelly. Now, if I only had that die!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, wow, wow, wow! This is so stinkin' cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea. Very appealing graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  21. AMAZING!!!! It looks like real wood...WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic! Shelly thankyou for this awesome tutorial. I have the candy drawer on my wish list. This is the type of project I had in mind. Now I don't have to figure it out, you already did that for me. So many possibilities with this die.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shelly...you deserve to be pinned! Great work. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is wonderful!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome, over the top, pin worthy and many more superlatives on the coolness of the candy drawers. Great tutorial too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shelly, I can't believe this is chipboard! It is so cute! I love little things like this. I may have to make a couple for my little granddaughters to store their tiny little doll things that I am always finding all over the house after they leave! They loved the little Santa Drawers I made a couple of years ago. This would be right up their alley!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! The minute I saw it I thought, "I want one!" It's great to know I can make my own... and 20 others if I like! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    It was a lot of effort to leave a comment on your site because I can't see the two words you have to type. It requires too much time to pull up another browser and then find your site again, and I'm sure a lot of people don't even know how to do that. Here's a great article on how to disable that feature so people can comment easily. You may be missing lots of comments because people can't see those 2 words.

    http://www.michelemademe.com/2012/02/how-to-disable-new-two-word.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This is so awesome Shelly. Totally blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! This is so awesome Shelly. Totally blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Shelley, I love this mini dresser. My heart sings every time I see a life size one, wouldn't they be fun to have to store things in. I may have to have this die. LOL I love how you varied the handles and used a circle punch on some of them too. I have little dressers in my craft room. They are just so sweet. Thanks for showing us your wonderful take on expanding the use for this cute die.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ABsolutely, positively amazing! I am so impressed. I love the wonderful vintage vibe you gave this fantastic chest. Wow, wow, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My die was shipped yesterday (hmmm along with a few others) Can't wait to get it to make this awesome chest. TY for doing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Shelly you have so inspired me to make one aas well...here is the link to my video and what I did with it!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHNLbPxGW34

    Kerry :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, this blog is really instructive. I would like to know more about this.
    Fabri-Tac
    Dazzle-Tac

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...