Friday, August 3, 2012

Toy Soldier Holiday Card

Last month Sizzix and other craft and hobby manufacturers exhibited new products at the Craft and Hobby Association trade show in Chicago.  I was fortunate to attend with other members of the Sizzix team and work at the show demonstrating the Tim Holtz Stamp2Cut cartridge system for the Sizzix eclips.  Before the show I was also lucky enough to get to work with some of the new Tim Holtz dies to create samples for the show.  Today I thought I would share a card I made for the booth featuring the new Toy Soldier die.
I started with a blank cardbase that I made from Tim Holtz Kraft Core Cardstock.  I took a piece of dark green Kraft Core Cardstock and tore the edges so that it fit on my card front.  I place the piece of cardstock in the Sheet Music Texture Fade embossing folder and ran it through my Vagabond.  I sanded the raised areas of the design.  I used an ink blending tool to add ink to the edges and sides of the embossed paper before adhering it to my card front with a Tiny Attacher.  I curled some of the edges to create extra dimension.

die cut a Tattered Banner from a scrap of kraft cardstock and stamped my phrase on it before adding the strip to the front of my card.  Since the banner was longer than the width of my card, I simply folded the excess around to the back of the card and secured it with adhesive.  I used a Tiny Attacher to adhere the right end of the banner to the card front.

I created my soldier by die cutting the elements from Grungepaper.  I used a variety of Distress Stains to add color to the die cut Grungepaper pieces.  After drying the pieces with a heat tool, I added doodle like lines with a fine tip journaling pen.  I assembled the pieces to create the layered toy soldier that I adhered to the card front over the banner.

I love how the layered toy soldier piece has so much dimension and was so simple to assemble.  With the arms die cut to lift up the way they do, I think it would be an adorable element to use for cards and tags with gift cards!  Trust me, you will want this die when it ships in October!


Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Grungepaper; kraft cardstock
Stamps: Hero Arts- Printer's Type Lower Case
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Vintage Photo
Stain: Tim Holtz Distress Stain- Picket Fence, Black Soot, Antique Linen, Barn Door, Pine Needles, Forest Moss, Peeled Paint
Paint: Ranger Ink Adirondack Paint Dabber: Gold
Pen: Zig Millenium 005
Tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip; Ranger Heat Tool, Nonstick Craft Sheet, Ink Blending Tool
Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. I like the die I am not into that grunge
    look but like the idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the toy soldier and that's my most favorite Christmas song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Tammy! I think that's just fabulous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy, I love your card, what a great vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it would be great to see this in a more playful design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, don't you just love the Bigz dies when you're doing big batches, like Christmas cards? Those dies just slice right through multiple layers of paper so we can produce great work quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the cutest card!!! I absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't think I would like the toy soldier die but seeing this makes me think it's really rather cute - in a gorgeous grungy way of course!!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how cute, can't wait to get my hands on that onel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable card, Tammy. I could see a lot of uses for the toy soldier die at Christmas. Not much is out there for boys but this is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had no interest in this die until I saw your card-it's such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like your creation with the TH Toy Soldier. I bought the TH Toy Soldier die this wk and have not used it yet. I may CASE your style here.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...