Thursday, August 9, 2012

Stacking Drawers

Hi everyone- Eileen here again! Hope your summers are swimming along nicely.

I'd like to show you a project I made using the Candy Drawer die from my Sweet Treats collection.


This is one of my favorite dies because there is so much you can do with it. Depending on how it is assembled, you can make a drawer or gift box using the same pieces. I'll be showing how to assemble the die as a box on my blog later this week.
I use these drawers to store my special buttons, but they could also hold office supplies like paper clips, rubber bands, memory cards, post it notes, or binder clips.  You could also use this to wrap small gifts, to store jewelry or beads, or any kind of small cute items. Buttons make great drawer pulls. There are so many fun ways to embellish this!
  1. Adhere paper to matboard with spray adhesive. Run die and matboard through Big Shot or Vagabond, making sure that the right side of the matboard is facing the die. 
  2. Fold all tabs over to break the fibers before assembling. (TIP: It's easy if you lay the score line on the edge of a table and fold down.)
  3. Add strong double sided tape to all tabs of the drawer box. Form the box into a square and adhere the short tab to the other end. Turn the box so tabs are all facing up. Center the square die cut piece over the top of the box and press down. If you'd like to reinforce the box, cut another square and place inside the drawer.
  4. The outer piece is assembled by placing adhesive on the front of the notched piece and adhering it to the end tab (the notched piece goes on the inside).
  5. Slide the drawer inside the case and you are done!
  6. For this project I cut eight sets and stacked them up but there are lots of other configurations- 3 x 3, pyramid style, or tower. I stacked mine and tied them tightly together with ribbon. If this was a permanent arrangement, I would have adhered the sides of each drawer assembly to each other with double sided tape but I may want to change this sometime so I just used ribbon.
  7. The buttons were adhered with 3D glue dots- that gives me a little room to put my fingers under the buttons to open the drawer.
  8. Tie a ribbon around the stack (tightly!) 



What would you put in these stacking drawers? 

Thanks for stopping by- see you next time!

Eileen
http://eileenhull.blogspot.com/
Pin It!

22 comments:

  1. Eileen you always inspire me! Even just one of these sweet little drawers would make a neat way to give someone a gift. Do you think a gift card would fit in one drawer?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurals- so sorry! These are too little to hold gift cards :-( The inside of the box measures 2 1/4" But it would be a great size for a pair of earrings, necklace or pin :-)

      Delete
  2. These would make such cute "garages" for matchbox cars to be parked in after playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just fabulous! Yet another die to add to my "must have" list! Thanks very much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fab set of drawers Eileen - I will certainly keep an eye out for that die. Love the gorgeous buttons for the openers they have some great texture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Bea! I love those buttons too. I have just a couple left and am saving them for something special :-)

      Delete
  5. Eileen -

    I love this litte treasure trove of boxes. They are so adorable. Can't wait to get the die.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice "treasure trove of boxes" :-) Thanks Elaine!

      Delete
  6. I would put my brads and other small scrapbooking items. Great job it is beautiful!! pennykitzmiller@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny- scrapbook storage is a great idea- all those small doodads in be one place!

      Delete
  7. Great project, Eileen. Sweet summer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! So perfect for all those embellishments we crafters often have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous project- very inspiring! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...love these! Your "drawer pulls" are fabulous. Such a great idea...perfect storage for all the little metal embellies I have all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very pretty :-) Would the die work with the Cuttlebug?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of your designs. And guess what? I finally bought the suitcase die. Joann.com has them back in stock as of today. Maybe someone else needs one and they are 40% off. Go get 'em guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Great!
    I was using a different brand of Drawers Die.
    after cutting. When it is too complex to fold the paper was not used.
    This product is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous Eileen! And how funny, because I have something similar standing straight in front of me on my desk that I just finished making yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen, these little boxes are so much fun. I see I'm not the only one who loves little dresser drawers. LOL

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...