Thursday, August 16, 2012

Saying "I Do" to a Wedding Pop-Up Guest Book

Hi everyone, it's Jonathan Fong with a guest post about a guest book. (How apropos.) Ever since I became addicted to Karen Burniston's pop-up dies, I've been wanting to make a pop-up book. Everyone loves pop-up books, and I love them even more than a Jackie Collins novel. Well, I got the perfect opportunity to make a pop-up recently when I was designing a wedding, and the bride and groom asked me to get them a guest book that people could sign. Well, of course I wasn't going to just buy one. I decided to make a guest book with pop-ups. Now that's a wedding detail that would make even Will and Kate envious.

This is the cover. I created the book using the Unibind Photobook Creator. I started with a plain white 8"x8" book cover, and I put a damask design on the front and back covers by printing out the design on some Scrapbooking Attitude film using my inkjet printer. I spray mounted the film to the cover. The keys and keyhole were cut using the Key and Keyhole Bigz die.

As you can see, I put a photo of the happy couple in the keyhole. A taste of the whimsical things to come.

For the title page, I used the Pull Tag Frame Scallop 3D die. I repeated the key die behind it and perched a bird from the Birds on a Wire decorative strip die onto the key. Throughout the book, I used papers from the DCWV Luxury Stack. Also, I bound the pages with the Photobook Creator before I added the pop-ups.

Here are the birds on a wire again, this time opposite one of my favorite dies – the Photo Wheel. First I printed the bride and groom's name on a piece of Scrapbooking Attitude film, adhered the film on some DCWV Luxury Stack scrapbooking paper by running it through a laminator, and then die-cut it with the Photo Wheel die. A photo wheel on a wedding guest book? That was just the beginning....

On the next page, I used one of the new Pop 'N Cuts with the Love 3D magnetic insert die. Here is the outside of the "card." It's embellished with scrolls and ornate elements from Sizzlits coordinating Hello and Thanks sets.

And when you open the card, the Pop 'N Cut word "Love" pops up in the middle of the couple's photo. To create this effect, I printed a photo onto Scrapbooking Attitude film and adhered the film onto some embossed paper with a laminator. Then I die cut the paper. I love being able to customize the paper that I die cut. 

The Pop 'N Cuts dies also work great horizontally spread across two book pages. Again, I printed the couple's photos onto a piece of Scrapbooking Attitude film and adhered the film to some embossed paper before die cutting it, this time with the Pop 'N Cuts Hearts Winged magnetic insert die. To get the photos spaced so perfectly on either side of the winged heart, I first die cut a plain piece of paper and measured the distances, and then sized the photos accordingly before printing. Oh, and there's that key and keyhole die at work again.

I decorated the heart pop-up with the coordinating Movers and Shapers Heart Wing set.

Here's another of the Pop 'N Cuts that I used horizontally as a spread. It's the Pop 'N Cut with the 3D Label magnetic insert. I printed the words "from this day forward" onto some Scrapbooking Attitude film and adhered it to some DCWV Luxury Stack paper by running it through a laminator and then die cut it. I added the lantern, which is from the coordinating Flagpole with Lanterns and Sign Sizzlits set. And that's the Sizzix Originals Decorative Accent #2 on the left hand page.

Finishing off the book, I created a couple of love birds with one of the Sizzlits dies from the Thanks set, along with a flower from Eileen Hull's Flower Layers with Heart Petals die (coming January 2012). Now you may be wondering, did people actually write in this guest book? They sure did. Whereas guests usually just sign their name to a guest book, they wrote personal messages all over the pages of this pop-up book. Which made the book even more special for the bride and groom. Now that I've made my first pop-up book, I can't wait to make more!

Jonathan

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. wowza-wowza-wowza--that is the most awesome thing I have seen in a L O N G time. What a one of a kind special treat for the bride and groom--it's so beautiful, I don't know if I'd want to sign my name as a guest in it! 5 stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just fabulous! What a great idea to cut the photos with the pop-up dies! I'm sure the bride and groom will cherish this for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, there are not enough words for 'WOW' to properly praise this work of art! I am honored that you used so many of my dies, so spectacularly, and for such an important occasion! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love all the pop ups!! What a lovely memory this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow Jonathan! This is just spectacular. I know the bride and groom loved it and so glad people actually wrote in it too... Thanks for sharing another one of your unique works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your book is awesome....what a treasure that will be for them to keep and always remember!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! And Jonathan Fong! I've loved him for YEARS. I forget how I began following his website, way back when, but I think I was led to it by the room he designed with metal sheeting-covered WALLS. He's a genius.

    -Kory

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a fabulous project and what a great idea! Awesome details and design. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift for the happy couple. You really made the most of all the Sizzix dies. I'm a big fan of pop-ups of all kinds, especially the pop 'n' cuts. Thanks for showing us this!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...