Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pop-up 2torial: Call me! Pop 'n Cuts Card

Pop 'n Cuts are now available in stores and on Sizzix.com, and today's video tutorial will show you how to suspend poles in the "shelf" area behind the pop-up for an added layer of pop-up fun!

I had quite the editing challenge to try to bring this one in under 3 minutes, so after watching me construct this card at lightning speed in the video, feel free to scroll down for a leisurely view of the still photos and the supply list.



For the front of the card, I kept a simple design with the phones patterned paper. For added dimension I fussy cut an orange phone from the scraps and used pop-dots to add it over the same orange phone in the background.


The inside of the card uses the Label Pop 'n Cuts insert along with the Flagpole Sizzlits strip modified into a telephone pole. The Birds on a Wire Sizzlits strip provided the birds.


Here are a couple of detail shots where you can see the pop-dotted orange phone on the front of the card and the way the telephone pole is attached using a slot/foot combo. (Watch the video for more visuals on this technique)


As is my custom, I remade the card in other colors to show the possibilities. With dies you're investing in shapes and possibilities, not colors and patterns! (Such a good tee-shirt slogan!)

Design Team member Shelly Hickox always blows me away with her layered grungy works of art. It has been a true pleasure getting to know Shelly since she became part of the Sizzix Design Team and it is such a thrill to see the things she creates with my dies.

We both grew up in Oregon, which means two things:
1. Getting out of the rain is completely optional,
2. Getting out of the rain is completely optional

Ha ha! See what I did there? Actually, that second one was supposed to say something about Oregonians being polite and also randomly apologizing for things. "It's raining." "I'm sorry."

But I digress.

Shelly has been politely encouraging me to make more over-the-top fancy cards like I used to, and after seeing her rock Pop 'n Cuts this week with an amazing geary Shellypiece, I felt truly inspired to get out all my powders and inks and metal doo-dads and leathery papers and shrink plastic, and heat gun, etc., for my alternate card design:


 The front of the card features the Birds on a Wire Sizzlits strip again, but this time I cut it out of shrink plastic, painted it gold, highlighted the wings and drew eyes with a black Sharpie, and then shrunk the strip with a heat gun, shaping it while it was hot into a curvy wire. The shrunken version (with just one bird chopped off the end) fit perfectly on the front of the card! I used a strip of paper with the same dry/heat embossed combination as the card interior and a stamped sentiment. For the grid texture I sponged black ink through metal mesh.


Inside the card I once again used the Label insert and the Flagpole Sizzlits strip. For the background, I used the Sheet Music Textured Impressions folder and then brushed gold pigment ink over everything, being purposely messy and uneven. I dumped a jar's worth of gold embossing powder over the background and heated it. I then sanded off the tops of the notes and brushed everything with black ink.

The Flagpole was cut from black cardstock, brushed with watermark ink, and embossed with black powder. I shortened the crossbar by taking out a portion in the middle and hiding the seam behind the clock charm. I was looking for something to go on the Label itself and discovered big gold wings in my stash, plus a handmade Eiffel Tower charm from my friend Bonnie, a gifted designer from Colorado.

It was definitely fun to step out of my usual style to try something more artsy and I love that Pop 'n Cuts made the construction of the pop-up so quick and easy that I had plenty of time left to focus on art techniques and decorating.

Ready to give Pop 'n Cuts a try?

Happy Pop 'n Cutting!

Karen



CALL ME (maybe) CARD SUPPLIES:
Patterned Paper - Jillibean Soup (telephones), My Mind's Eye (pole)
Cardstock - Bazzill
Telephone Stamp - Unity, Webster's Pages
Clear Stamps - Hero Arts
Adhesives - Xyron
Vertical Slot Punch - EK Success
Stash items (source unknown) - rhinestones, embossing powder, black ink, pop-dots


FIND JOY ART CARD SUPPLIES:
Papers - Leatherflex maroon 17pt cover (card), textured maroon (unknown), Core'dinations Black (pole)
Art saying Stamp - Inkadinkado
Clear Stamp (find joy) - Hero Arts
Game Spinner, Tiny Attacher - Tim Holtz for Advantus
Eiffel Tower Charm - Bonnie Bruns
Vertical Slot Punch - EK Success
Stash items (source unknown) - embossing powder, shrink plastic, gold paint, clock charms, wings

PS It appears that the Pop 'n Cuts Base Die is in short supply throughout the country and currently sold out on Sizzix.com. Did you know that you can use Pop 'n Cuts inserts on the Base Tray? This video will show you how. (The first 2 minutes shows the difference between PNC and Movers & Shapers bases. Slide to 2 minutes to get right into the card tutorial)


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. What you really meant to say is that we're both really weird and also think we're quite hilarious. Is that an Oregon thing? Whatevs. Your cards are both just brilliant pieces of work - love them both beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love both of these cards!! They are fabulous. The shrink plastic birds are awesome (and that die is coming to me soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards and great video! You know I love everything you do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are so cool! I love how you took the dies and transformed them into different shapes! Awesome job and this really makes me want to get one of those pop up dies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grungy more intricate cards are awesome. They are my style. I am not good at less is more, more is more for me! I am a fan of your dies now because of Shelly's steampunk father's day card. I became obsessed with getting the 3d sliding pop up die. My local store almost couldn't get it for me, but Rebeccah went above and beyond for me and got it. I am making cards in one day now, instead of a week. Ideas for using the die is popping up like crazy. Your new dies are on my list. I don't understand why sizzix clearanced the 3d pop up die, I can think of a million different ways to use it. Please keep showing the more intricate use of your dies, it inspires me to create. I love the birds on a wire and the flagpole and pennants. So many ideas. Have a creative day!
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...